Thread: 2018-2019 National Hunt season.

Registered Member
    Gordon Elliot Stable Tour (part 3)

Glenloe
    7g Kayf Tara - Mandys Native
    JP McManus
    5/22325-
    RPR 146h OR 142h
    Went very close in the Pertemps Final at Cheltenham. He could develop into a nice staying chaser this season.

Grand Mogul
    4g Presenting - Oligarch Society
    John Lightfoot
    4-
    RPR 106b
    He'll be up to winning a bumper as soon as we get a bit of rain. He's come forward since finishing fourth in a bumper at Punchestown.

Great Vizier
    3g Sir Percy - Special Green
    Simon Munir & Issac Souede
    629- (Flat form)
    Schooling well and doing everything I have asked of him. He will go for a juvenile maiden hurdle once we get rain.

Grotesque
    7g Kayf Tara - Princess Timon
    Gigginstown House Stud
    21/60/33-
    RPR 121h OR 116h
    I would say he's well enough treated to win a few handicap hurdles before going chasing.

Hardline
    6g Arcadio - Hidden Reserve
    Gigginstown House Stud
    31138-1
    RPR 140h, 139c OR 140h
    I loved the way he won at Fairyhouse. The second is a good horse. He could be even better over fences than he was over hurdles and we'll have to step him up in class now.

High Expectations
    7g High Rock - Tashifiya
    MJ Wasylocha
    1P-4521
    RPR 133h OR 128h
    Has a good strike-rate and always wins the races he should be winning, as he showed when getting up late to score at Sedgefield. He'll mix and match between Flat and hurdles. He's a good, fun horse to have around the place. You can bring him anywhere.

Holy Motivation
    5m Kalanisi - Teffia Rose
    Pioneer Racing
    RPR 105h OR 95h
    She's been placed on her last couple of runs and hopefully she'll get off the mark sooner rather than later.

Invincible Cave
    5g Court Cave - Bespoke Baby
    Gigginstown House Stud
    14-
    RPR 116b
    Bit disappointing at Naas having won his bumper at Navan but I do think he's a nice horse and will appear in a maiden hurdle soon.

Isle Of Destiny
    5m Gold Well - Young Amelie
    John F Doyle
    RPR 115h OR 105h
    You would have to be a little disappointed with the way she ran at Cork on Sunday, but she's better than that. I loved her attitude at Hexham when she won the time before and I'm sure we will find a suitable race for her, perhaps on the other side of the water.

Its All Guesswork
    6g Mahler - La Lambertine
    Philip J Reynolds
    4-3221F
    RPR 128h, 131c OR 124h, 130c
    He would have been placed in the Munster National only for coming down at the last. He was a bit sore after it so we'll give him a bit of time to recover. He could pick up one of those nice staying handicap chases, maybe something like the Troytown at Navan would suit. He won his beginners chase there.

Jury Duty
    7g Well Chosen - Swan Heart
    Sideways Syndicate
    U3-3721
    RPR 150h, 157c OR 147h, 152c
    We couldn't have asked much more from him on Saturday night. We thought he would be the ideal type for the American Grand National and he proved just that. He was a high-class hurdler but he has progressed into an even better chaser and hopefully someday he might be the sort of horse who would suit an Aintree National.

Kuiper Belt
    4g Elusive Quality - Youre So Sweet
    Melissa Margolis
    RPR 122h OR 123h
    Was a little disappointing at Punchestown on Wednesday but he's had some summer and won loads of races. He won't race through the winter but could go for a handicap at Cheltenham if he gets in.

Kuraka
    4g Cacique - Puzzling
    Susan Frost & Mrs Caren Walsh
    23316-6
    RPR 115h OR 119h
    He's won two for us. He got a little setback in the summer but he's back working now and we'll find a little hurdle for him somewhere.

Lackaneen Leader
    6m Oscar - Shandora
    Mrs Caren Walsh & Grant Mercer
    21112P-
    RPR 137h OR 133h
    Didn't do a whole lot wrong last year and she's going over fences now. She has the size and scope to do well chasing.

Larquebuse
    4f Saddler Maker - Sirene Du Rheu
    Cheveley Park Stud
    1 (point form)
    Won her point at Durrow nicely for Colin Bowe. She is a big, strong mare we like and you'll see her in a bumper this side of Christmas.

Last Minute Man
    6g Yeats - Ella Watson
    Paul & Clare Rooney
    1/22-0
    RPR 121h
    A nice horse and you can forget his run at Clonmel in the summer when he wasn't right. He's a nice horse who's up to winning a maiden hurdle.

Lethal Steps
    3g Lethal Force - Tanda Tula
    Cheveley Park Stud
    54-45040 (Flat form)
    A nice juvenile to go hurdling with, he's rated 102 on the Flat. He jumps really, really well and we like what we've seen from him so far.

Rival to watch
    Willie Mullins. He has caught me late for the last two seasons but we had a slow start this season so I have no chance of winning the title. What can you say about the man? He is a legend.

Make My Heart Fly
    6m Stowaway - Poppy Maroon
    Twenty Syndicate
    RPR 130h, 114c OR 130h
    A star through the summer. She won four in a row and acquitted herself very well in a Listed event at Gowran. She'll mix it between chases and hurdles.
    Dark horse

Malone Road
    4g Kalanisi - Zaffarella
    Cheveley Park Stud
    1 (point form)
    There was a lot to like about the way he won his point at Loughanmore for Stuart Crawford. This fella could be a seriously nice horse. We like him a lot.

Master Of Tara
    5g Kayf Tara - Ryme Bere
    Gigginstown House Stud
    61-
    RPR 127b
    An imposing individual we like. He'll start off in a maiden hurdle very soon and I'm looking forward to it.

Star quality

Mengli Khan
    5g Lope De Vega - Danielli
    Gigginstown House Stud
    11RO233-
    RPR 151h OR 150h
    He was one of our leading novice hurdlers last season and he goes chasing now. I like what I've seen of him schooling so far. He's not slow so we'll probably keep him to two miles with the Arkle being the ultimate aim next March.

Minellafordollars
    6g King's Theatre - Another Dollar
    JP McManus
    1/31-
    RPR 136h
    He's back cantering away and is a nice horse to be heading into the winter months with as he handles deep ground really well.

Miss Aloud
    4f Azamour - Key Stage
    Oghill House Stud Limited
    RPR 102b
    You cannot fault her consistency in bumpers and surely one will come her way in the coming weeks.

Missy Tata
    6m Astarabad - Queen Running
    Simon Munir & Isaac Souede
    4/11111/
    RPR 144h OR 145h
    She's back cantering away and it's great to have her back around the place. She's a classy mare who will head over fences once we get a bit of rain. She gives you everything.

Mitchouka
    4g Creachadoir - Minaloushe
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1P26-F5
    RPR 140h, 123c OR 140h
    He had jumped brilliantly before he fell at Gowran Park, which was an awful pity. That seemed to affect his confidence at Punchestown but hopefully we can get him back on track.

Monbeg Notorious
    7g Milan - Borleagh Princess
    Gigginstown House Stud
    211182-
    RPR 138h, 155c OR 132h, 151c
    He looks an ideal type for the Grand National at Aintree. He won the Thyestes in real heavy ground at Gowran and loves those testing conditions.

Monbeg Worldwide
    6g Lucarno - Molly Duffy
    Gigginstown House Stud
    111/23-5
    RPR 128h
    He got incredibly tired at Tipperary last week and he'll come on a ton for that. It goes without saying he's better than the bare form of that and you should see a different horse next time.

Monkshood
    6g Stowaway - Flirthing Around
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1/1145U
    RPR 136h OR 136h
    He's better than you have seen so far. He had an operation on his back for kissing spines but he's back cantering away now and we're looking forward to sending him over fences.

Moonlight Escape
    5m Court Cave - Festival Leader
    F Donnelly
    1U9-015
    RPR 122h, 125c OR 118h
    She's a grand, honest mare who should do better over fences than she did over hurdles.

HORSE TO FOLLOW

Dortmund Park
    Winner of both his bumpers and a three-time winner over hurdles last season, this five-year-old ended his campaign with a ten-length win in a Grade 1 novice over 2m4f at the Punchestown festival. There was an element of good fortune involved, to the margin of victory if not the result, as two of the leading contenders were knocked out of the race two out. However, the son of Great Pretender looks the type who should take well to fences and should enjoy a successful campaign in staying novice chases this season.
    Tony O'Hehir

Ned Stark
    10g Wolfe Tone - Last Moon
    Noel Moran/Mrs Valerie Moran
    68P52/0-
    RPR 119h, 147c OR 124h, 130c
    He's been a long time off the track but he's got a big engine and could be well handicapped. He's on the teamsheet for the Troytown at Navan.

Noble Endeavor
    9g Flemensfirth - Old Moon
    C Jones
    P54136/
    RPR 151h, 160c OR 145h, 154c
    The long-term plan for him is the Grand National at Aintree. He hasn't run since the Irish National in 2017 as he chipped a bone but he's back now and will tip away in handicap chases this season. He's got some really good form.

Ocean Voyage
    3f Most Improved - Minshar
    Arion Racing Club
    142-06 (Flat form)
    A nice dual-purpose filly who we'll go juvenile hurdling with soon.

Our Father
    12g Shantou - Rosepan
    Ives & Johnsons Partnership
    59U/92/0
    RPR 147h, 154c OR 130c
    He never let himself down on the ground at Limerick in the Munster National. He works well at home so we'll have another go at one of those nice staying handicap chases.

Out Sam
    9g Multiplex - Tintera
    D Charlesworth
    9/06P33-
    RPR 140h, 151c OR 127h, 132c
    We have him pencilled in for the Cork National so that's where he'll go. He has some good back form and might not be badly treated if we can get him back to his old self.

Outlander
    10g Stowaway - Western Whisper
    Gigginstown House Stud
    32PP8-2
    RPR 147h, 170c OR 145h, 161c
    He owes us nothing. He's won ten times and I was thrilled with his run in the Grade 3 at Punchestown the other day. He is entered in the JNwine.com Champion Chase, a race he beat Road To Respect in last year, so he deserves a shot in that.

Pallasator
    9g Motivator - Ela Athena
    Qatar Racing Limited
    54115-
    RPR 151h OR 147h
    He did nothing but improve last season and won the Grade 2 at Fairyhouse over Easter. He seems in great nick and we might even try him over fences.

Penny Jane
    6m King's Theatre - Shannon Rose
    Paul & Clare Rooney
    2231-11
    RPR 118h, 122c OR 124c
    I was absolutely thrilled with her win at Cork and Denis [O’Regan] gave her a terrific ride. That's the way she likes to be ridden. She has taken really well to fences and she should continue to progress. Hopefully we can find something for her at the spring festivals.
    horse racing is a tax on the stupid.

Registered Member
    Gordon Elliot stable tour (part 4 )

Poli Roi
    6g Poliglote - Belle Du Roi
    Gigginstown House
    215P85-
    RPR 136h OR 133c
    He didn't really live up to expectations after winning his maiden hurdle at Down Royal around this time last year. We're sending him over fences and hopefully that will spark a revival.

Poormans Hill
    7g Stowaway - Sharps Express
    Vincent Caldwell & Mrs Kathleen Caldwell
    161P7-4
    RPR 124h, 133c OR 119h, 130c
    He's won eight races for us now and kept improving all last season. We've had the Cork National in mind for him for quite a while so it's all systems go for that now.

Portnablagh
    5m Well Chosen - Countess Trifaldi
    Gigginstown House Stud
    10-
    RPR 104b
    She's a great big galloping mare who loves soft ground. We're looking forward to her going over the hurdles and winter conditions will really suit.

Prince Of Scars
    8g Flemensfirth - Spirit Leader
    Gigginstown House Stud
    3/236P3/
    RPR 163h, 139c OR 150h, 139c
    He is a dual Grade 1 winner who has had plenty of problems. He is back cantering away and is ready to return this side of Christmas. He likes winter ground and we'll look for a nice chase for him somewhere.

Rakhine State
    5g Arakan - Oiselina
    Armagh Bhoys Partnership
    32464-
    RPR 118h
    He has been placed in a few bumpers and hopefully we can spot a nice opportunity for him somewhere in a maiden hurdle.

Rogue Angel
    10g Presenting - Carrigeen Kohleria
    Gigginstown House Stud
    PP2-136
    RPR 135h, 150c OR 135c
    He tanked through the Kerry National and they probably didn't go quick enough for him at Limerick and it didn't really turn into a test. Hopefully he can land a big pot at some stage this season.

Star quality

Samcro
    6g Germany - Dun Dun
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1/1111F-
    RPR 159h OR 160c
    We're really looking forward to getting him started. He's got a lot stronger over the summer and will definitely return at Down Royal – whether that's in the WKD Hurdle or the beginners chase over 2m4f I'm not 100 per cent sure yet. I'll have a chat with Michael and Eddie [O'Leary] over the next few days and we'll make a decision together. He didn't do much wrong last year, his only blip came at Punchestown and that could happen to any horse. Everyone knows what I think of him and hopefully he can continue to show everyone how good he is.

Santana Plessis
    4g Saint Des Saints - La Passeroie
    D Charlesworth
    3-
    RPR 115b
    Third to Commander Of Fleet – one of ours – in a Punchestown bumper. He's a nice type who looks up to winning a bumper.

Star quality

Shattered Love
    7m Yeats - Tracker
    Gigginstown House Stud
    RPR 141h, 159c OR 136h, 153c
    We knew she would do better over fences than she did over hurdles but I suppose we never thought she would win two Grade 1s and be a Cheltenham Festival winner. In saying that, I did really fancy her for the JLT and I actually put her up at a few Cheltenham preview nights I was on. We'll start her off in the chase for second-season novices at Down Royal next month and what she does there will probably decide what path we take with her. She probably needs to improve a bit to be a Cheltenham Gold Cup contender but it's not out of the question.

Silver Star
    5g Silver Frost - Suerte
    Royal's & Blue Syndicate
    Silver Star
    RPR 126h OR 119h
    Really consistent sort who will hold his own in his own grade.

Sire Du Berlais
    6g Poliglote - Royale Athenia
    JP McManus
    130/248-
    RPR 144h OR 142h
    The best of his form is quite useful. He was fourth in the Martin Pipe at Cheltenham and he's not a bad sort.

Smiling Eliza
    3f Rock Of Gilbraltar - Gift Dancer
    Gordon Elliott Racing Club
    RPR 112h
    She keeps winning. The plan is to go to Aintree with her now for a mares' Listed hurdle and try pick up some black type.

Soldier At War
    4g Soldier Hollow - Sag Sun
    Gigginstown House Stud
    2- (point form)
    Second to Malone Road in a Loughanmore point and looks suite useful. He's ready to start off in a bumper soon and has had a wind operation.

Sometime Soon
    5g Shantou - Back Log
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1345-2
    RPR 119h
    His jumping was a bit novicey at Fairyhouse last time and it might not be the worst thing in the world that he was beaten as we would have had to go straight for a graded race.

Space Cadet
    8g Flemensfirth - Shuil A Hocht
    C Jones
    9342PP-
    RPR 134h, 136c OR 122h, 135c
    There could be a big day in this fella and he'll run in all those valuable staying handicap chases.

Squouateur
    7g Martaline - Samansonnienne
    JP McManus
    6303BP-
    RPR 141h, 141c OR 141h, 138c
    It hasn't happened for him so far but it will happen for him some day. He's been frustrating but his luck has to change. There's a nice pot in him.

Star Maker
    4g Mastercraftsman - Snoqualmie Star
    Thomond Racing Syndicate
    43-6619
    RPR 116h OR 117h
    He's coming along nicely and I think he can win again before the real winter stuff starts.

Stooshie
    5g Fracas - Misty Native
    Mrs Caren Walsh & John F Doyle
    2513-32
    RPR 130h OR 128h
    I thought he ran well the other day at Punchestown and there will hopefully be a nice handicap in him somewhere along the way.

Sunsetstorise
    10g Millenary - Otorum
    Mrs Finola Murphy & Mrs Ann Marie McManus & Mrs Tahnee Grant
    4P1/125-
    RPR 128c, 120h OR 124c, 102h
    We took him out of a race at Cork on Sunday because the ground was a little on the quick side. I have no doubt he will pay his way in 2m Handicap chases when there is a bit more cut in the ground.

Sutton Place
    7g Mahler - Glebe Beauty
    JP McManus
    1/11P/1P-
    RPR 161h, 141c OR 158h
    He has missed a bit of time but we are looking forward to getting him back on the right road. He is a nice horse and we have yet to decide what route we are going to take with him.

Swingbridge
    10g Milan - Creative Approach
    Noel Gerard Moran
    F-041361
    RPR 118h, 133c OR 109h, 124c
    A very consistent sort who might go to Cheltenham at the end of the week for a handicap chase.

Synopsis
    6m Azamour - Censored
    David Spratt & Kevin McMunigal & Mary Hopkins
    70123-6
    RPR 126h, 120c OR 124h, 123c
    A useful enough mare who did well over hurdles and didn't take long to win over fences. She will probably mix and match between handicap hurdles and chases.

Takeittothelimits
    6m Stowaway - A Plus Ma Puce
    JP McManus
    112/
    RPR 107b
    She is ready to in in a maiden hurdle once we get a bit of rain. She won her first two bumpers and was second in a Listed bumper at Gowran but she has had her fair share of problems since. It'll be good to get her back.

Thatsy
    4g Martaline - Rainallday
    Gigginstown House Stud
    12- (point form)
    A big, strong, staying sort who won his point at Lingstown for Donnacha Doyle. We'll pop him into a bumper as soon as we get a bit of rain.

The Big Lense
    5g Court Cave - Megans Joy
    JP McManus
    63-816
    RPR 121h OR 117h
    He got the job done nicely in a maiden hurdle at Bellewstown and hopefully there is more to come. He won a point at Cragmore a few years ago so he could develop into a nice chaser.

The Storyteller
    7g Shantou - Bally Bolshoi
    Mrs P Sloan
    137151-
    RPR 148h, 161c OR 142h, 155c
    Did us proud last year, winning at Cheltenham and then landing a Grade 1 at Punchestown, although I think we all know he was very lucky there given what happened to Al Boum Photo. He could be tricky enough to place this year but he'll definitely start off in the chase for second-season novices at Down Royal next month and we'll take it from there

Thisonesforollie
    6m Scorpion - Toniberoli
    B Mannion & Brendan O'Grady
    69-4811
    RPR 100h OR 90h
    I've got a great kick out of her winning her last few races. I still think she's quite well handicapped and could win a few more. She's improving fast.

Tiger Roll
    8g Authorized - Swiss Roll
    Gigginstown House Stud
    P/2P511-
    RPR 150h, 160c OR 140h, 159c
    He's absolutely bouncing, you wouldn't believe how well he is in himself. He's loving life. It takes some horse to win at three Cheltenham Festivals and then a Grand National. I suppose we'll go down a similar route to last year. We'll keep him to cross-country races. He's still only eight and we could get a couple more years out of him doing that job if we mind him.

Timber House
    6g Golden Lariat
    Gigginstown House Stud
    4F1 (point form)
    A nice type of horse who won his point at Ballysteen in April and will start off in a bumper very soon.

Timiyan
    7g Ghostzapper - Timarwa
    John P McManus
    F-61D07
    RPR 139h, 143c OR 132h, 132c
    He was unlucky to be disqualified at Kilbeggan during the summer. He lost his confidence after an early mistake at Limerick last time. Hopefully we can get him right for the Troytown at Navan.

Tintangle
    5m Yeats - Connaught Hall
    Gigginstown House Stud
    4113-
    RPR 116b
    She's a grand mare who we're looking forward to running in a maiden hurdle. She should have a good season ahead. She has ability and should have a good season ahead.

Tombstone
    8g Robin Des Champs - Connaught Hall
    Gigginstown House Stud
    3626-51
    RPR 153h, 153c OR 143h, 144c
    We thought the world of him early on and he has been a bit frustrating as we all know what he's capable of. It was great to see him get his head back in front the other day at Limerick and that will do his confidence the world of good. We'll mix and match it between hurdles and fences.

Ucello Conti
    10g Martaline - Gazelle Lulu
    Simon Munir & Issac Souede
    24U/2PU-
    RPR 127h, 153c OR 139h, 147c
    He'll go hunter chasing and run in cross-country races. He should be a good, fun horse. It's unbelievable that he has yet to win a race for us.

Viscount Wilson
    3g Lethal Force - Highland Starlight
    J A Mooney & Raymond Moore Jnr & Raymond C Moore
    RPR 97h
    Not a bad sort on the Flat for Ger Lyons and he will come on for his first start for us over hurdles at Down Royal.

Vision D'honneur
    4g Vision D'Etat - Hembra
    Gigginstown House Stud
    He won in France and he looks like he could be a proper horse. We like the look of what we've seen so far.

Western Honour
    6g Westerer - Cailins Honour
    Cheveley Park Stud
    844-4
    RPR 113h OR 112h
    Arrived from Jimmy Moffatt's and hopefully there will be a handicap hurdle in him off his mark. They will have plenty of fun with him.

Westland Row
    6g Oscar - Presenting Proform
    Mrs Caren Walsh & John F Doyle
    221010-
    RPR 133h OR 129h
    He might jump a fence sooner rather than later but he'll pay his way over hurdles too.

Woods Well
    7g Fleetwood - Millbrook Marble
    Gigginstown House Stud
    5P5P6-1
    RPR 136h, 139c OR 134h, 133c
    He showed a good attitude to win at Galway the other day and he will be part of my Troytown team.

GORDON ELLIOTT (Ire only)

2017/18: 209-1250 (17%)
    2016/17: 193-1234 (16%)
    2015/16: 123-791 (16%)
    2014/15: 92-533 (17%)
    2013/14: 56-436 (13%)

Three most profitable tracks (2013-18):
    Clonmel (chase 9-36 +£ 20)
    Down Royal (chase 20-77 +£13)
    Roscommon (hurdle 13-54 +£15)

Overview: While Willie Mullins had almost 800 runners last season, Gordon Elliott sent out an incredible 1250 in his quest to try and topple Mullins – a ploy that almost paid off. Following Elliott in Listed events showed a profit of 18-50 (+£27), while those making their debut/first outing for Elliott also came out in front (49-260, +£4). A check of the yard’s improving runners that were 4-8lb higher than last time was also another pointer (50-209 +£32).
    Last edited by the dope; 24-10-2018 at 11:35.

Degenerate Member
    Bloody hell if I back all those I’ll be skint by Christmas lol

Registered Member
    Donald McCain
    The days of Peddlers Cross, Overturn, Ballabriggs, Whiteoak and Cinders and Ashes may be in the past, but a new dawn is lighting up Bankhouse Stables.

After a period of rebuilding and restocking necessitated by the break-up with owners Paul and Clare Rooney almost exactly three years ago, Donald McCain’s star is once again in the ascendancy.

There might not be a horse in the stable the calibre of Peddlers Cross just yet, but McCain has high hopes for a team which includes the very useful chaser Cloudy Dream plus a horse he is conspicuously sweet on, Uppertown Prince, who could take high rank in the novice chase division.

McCain is strengthening all the time. Only last week he took charge of the Elite Racing-owned Constancio, an 85-rated middle-distance handicapper on the Flat for Jim Bolger, and juvenile hurdle prospect Liva, his first horse for Simon Munir and Isaac Souede.

Expect to see him have plenty of runners – and winners – on deep ground at Haydock this winter once again, and keep an eye on two of his juvenile hurdlers, Breakfast and Ormesher, who are likely to continue their progress after making excellent starts to their new careers.

The appointment of Brian Hughes as stable jockey has already paid dividends – as McCain says, “he’s been the standout jockey in the north over the last few years, and to have him on-side can only be good for us” – and, while the yard is highly unlikely to get near its best ever tally of 153 winners recorded during the 2011-12 campaign, a first century since 2013-14 would surely signal a complete recovery from the 2015 bombshell in impressively quick time.

DONALD MCCAIN

2017/18: 98-539………………..2016/17: 80-573……………2015/16: 53-497
    2014/15: 80-573………………..2013/14: 98-539

Most profitable tracks (2013-18):
    Bangor (hurdle 46-202 +£68)…………………..Haydock (chase 11-35 +£24)

Overview: There was a surge in the number of winners for Donald McCain last season when recording almost 100 winners for the first time since 2013/14, and there was value to be found via his runners that deserved another chance having been beaten 1/4l-3l last time (61-202 +£45). Keep in mind also McCain’s string sent back to the track relatively quickly having raced during the last 6-15 days, as they struck at 71-327 (+£50).

Beach Break
    Four-year-old gelding
    Cacique (sire) - Wemyss Bay (dam)
    Owner: G E Fitzpatrick
    Form figures: 211134
    Racing Post Rating: 127 (hurdles); official rating 126 (hurdles)
    When I bought him off the Flat he had a bit of a reputation, but he’s done his job and gone out and won three races over hurdles. He’s got an unorthodox head carriage – that’s just the make and shape of him – but his jumping is so much slicker now and he's improved. He ran another solid race at Wetherby the other day and hopefully there’s more to come.

Black Key
    6g Authorized - Pentatonic
    Mr D Owens
    326-131
    RPR 135h OR 130h
    He was a cheap purchase last month considering he won a handicap hurdle at the big Galway meeting in August. He has his aches and pains, but clearly has an engine.

Chti Balko
    6g Balko - Ina Scoop
    D G Carrington
    415392-
    RPR 147h OR 142h
    He’s a great little horse who never runs a bad race. We’ve toyed with the idea of going chasing, but are going to stay handicapping in two-mile soft-ground hurdles. He’s particularly effective at Haydock on deep ground.

Star quality……… Cloudy Dream
    8g Cloudings - Run Away Dream
    Trevor Hemmings
    222235-
    RPR 162c 140h OR 157c 137h
    We’re still learning about him. He’s a high-quality chaser who we’ll start off in the Old Roan at Aintree. His work has been great and it’s nice to have him. He finished second to Altior in the Racing Post Arkle at Cheltenham a couple of seasons ago and is obviously a lovely horse to have around the place. Mr Hemmings has always been a big supporter of mine and we’ll make a plan with Mick Meagher as we go along.

Dear Sire
    6g Al Namix - Polismith
    Green Day Racing
    2-01F31
    RPR 141c OR 142c
    He has won nine races in less than two years. I took a chance with him over a longer trip on a couple of occasions at Cartmel in the summer. He won the first and would have won the second as well but for hitting a patch of false ground at the second-last. I think he’ll improve in two-mile handicap chases with the hood left off.

Race in focus
    Danceintothelight loves Catterick, and I'm hoping the handicapper drops him enough so that he can get into a suitable race there this winter. Look out for him over 2m3f round there with my daughter Abbie on board.

Federici
    9g Overbury - Vado Via
    M4 Properties Ltd
    14553P-
    RPR 137c 128h OR 130c 119h
    He had a little knock after the Cross Country at Cheltenham in March and it’s taken us time to get him back. He’ll go straight for the Becher or Grand Sefton at Aintree. Hopefully there's a big day in him.

Fin And Game
    6g Oscar - Miss Cilla
    T G Leslie
    4/1114-6
    RPR 133h OR 129h
    He didn’t do a lot wrong on his first start novice chasing last Thursday at Carlisle. He jumped really well, and was just a bit fresh after getting lit up in the stables. I still get the impression that he’s playing at the job. The race we ran him in at Ayr in April probably wasn’t suitable. He’s definitely got an engine but maybe he doesn’t know it himself just yet. I hope the penny will drop.

Dark horse………. Gaelik Coast
    4g Coastal Path - Gaelika
    T G Leslie
    1-
    RPR 91
    He’s not a big horse, which is probably why he didn’t make huge money at the sales, but has grown over the summer. He was very impressive when winning his point-to-point in Ireland, and he’s sharp enough to be started off in a bumper. He’s one for the future.

Katachenko
    9g Kutub - Karalee
    Trevor Hemmings
    U/26F-44
    RPR 139c 131h OR 132c 128h
    He was a bit unlucky last season. At Aintree in December he was spooked when the flagman dropped his flag, and he lost 15 lengths at the start before being beaten a nose by Play The Ace. He was travelling very sweetly when he fell five out at Ayr later on, and will hopefully enjoy better fortune this term. We may consider putting some headgear on in the future.

Kelka
    6m Exit To Nowhere - Scarvagh Diamond
    D & D Armstrong Ltd
    514/239-
    RPR 129h 121c OR 127h 123c
    She hasn’t been with me long. There are lots of opportunities to sneak a bit of black type in mares’ novice chases throughout the season and that’s the route she’ll go down. She’s the first horse I’ve trained for David Armstrong.

Knock House
    9g Old Vic - Lady’s Gesture
    T G Leslie
    P/62-857
    RPR 151c 131h OR 130c 129h
    He’s had plenty of problems with his back. He ran a nice race over hurdles at Carlisle last season when second to My Old Gold. It will be a case of finding the right race on the right day with him – over hurdles or fences. He reappeared at Carlisle last Thursday, and travelled beautifully in a 3m handicap chase for a long way. In the short-term we’ll go back to a flat track and hurdles.

Knockrobin
    7g Robin Des Pres - Tudor Style
    Deva Racing Knockrobin Partnership
    42312P-
    RPR 129h OR 130h
    He should have won more races than he has, but he’s been a little immature and just plays at the job a bit. I see him as a 3m staying novice chaser for races in the north. He’s been crying out for a fence.

Lastbutnotleast
    8m Flemensfirth - Lakil Princess
    Sarah Leslie and Beryl McCain
    11/P135-
    RPR 141c 135h OR 132c 132h
    She left her season at Haydock in December. It was the first race of the day on very bad ground and she and Jonniesofa took each other on for two miles; it was brutal up the straight. She went on to nick some black type at Leicester, but wasn’t herself. She’ll go back chasing and can hopefully win a decent staying handicap.

Lofgren
    7g Multiplex - Sherry Darling
    Mrs C P Lees-Jones
    RPR 136c 134h OR 137c 122h
    He’s doing his job really well and stays further than I thought he would. He was very tough at Cartmel and then improved again to win at Bangor. He doesn’t want deep ground.

Mount Mews
    7g Presenting - Kneeland Lass
    Trevor Hemmings
    361230-
    RPR 150h 145c OR 140h 139c
    He’s a nice horse who arrived in the summer. He had a ‘nearly’ season last year and appears fairly treated as a result. He’s grand, and will go chasing. I’m very happy with him. If we can get him switched off in staying handicap chases he should do well.

Mr McGo
    7g Touch Of Land - La Principal
    Jon Glews
    /91179/
    RPR 135h OR 135h
    He’s a pretty useful horse. We sent him for a Grade 3 handicap hurdle at Aintree to make him grow up a bit more – we did something similar with The Last Samurai. He missed last season but is cantering away and looks great. He's every inch a chaser.

Mr Monochrome
    7g Indian Danehill - Our Ethel
    Mr and Mrs G Calder and P M Warren
    23123/4-
    RPR 129h 122c OR 127h 122c
    He’s been off the course quite a while and didn’t jump particularly well in his only race over fences at Perth last September behind Ballyandy. He’s a very attractive horse and his work of late has been quite solid. He should find an opening or two in novice handicap chases up north.

Noah And The Ark
    4g Vinnie Roe - Well Water
    Bart Ryan-Beswick
    RPR 117h OR -
    I was quite upset when I got into trouble over the way he was ridden at Bangor. My job as a trainer is to find a way for a horse to run its best race. We rode him differently that day, and I got fined and the horse banned basically for just doing my job. I think we’ve subsequently proved that’s the way to ride him as he came from well off the pace to win at Stratford and Kelso. They were both bad races, but he was quite impressive and is clearly going the right way.

Pogue
    5g Stowaway - Night Palm
    Mr J Turner
    21 (point form)
    RPR 90
    He’s slightly different to Gaelik Coast in that he is 17 hands – a tall, lean, striking grey. He won a point-to-point a couple of weeks after he narrowly got beat on his debut. An intriguing horse who looks every inch a staying chaser, he is a nice prospect to have. Young recruits like him and Gaelik Coast are the future.

Pougne Bobbi
    7g Protektor - Amicus
    Straightline Bloodstock
    57/4517-
    RPR 144c 139h OR 139c 128h
    I bought him at the sales with no aspirations of trying to improve one of Nicky Henderson’s, but because I think he can do well on deep-ground in the north. There is good prize-money available for this type of horse at the likes of Newcastle, Ayr and Wetherby. He’s a great big horse with a round action.

Raise A Spark
    8g Multiplex - Reem Two
    R Pattison and R Kent
    6-41123
    RPR 140c 127h OR 134c 127h
    He’s a fun horse who we bred – a little bit wild, but as tough as nails. He probably wants 2m on slow ground, and we’ll take our time and regroup after he ran a bit flat at Perth last time. He has a bit more ability than some give him credit for.

Robbing The Prey
    7g Robin Des Pres - Derravarra Lady
    The Bells Steakhouse Ltd
    F/2163-1
    RPR 140c 115h OR 135c 118h
    I’ve seen him plenty of times in the north of England. He put up a really good display of jumping and galloping when he won at Haydock in May. He’s a grand, strong horse, and there should be some good opportunities for him back at Haydock this season.

Same Circus
    7m Brian Boru - Curragh Orpen
    Penketh and Sankey Jech Racing Club 1
    34114-5
    RPR 134c 123h OR 127c 120h
    She had a good season last year, winning at Catterick and Bangor, even though she didn’t quite get the ground she wanted. While there are plenty of chases for mares there aren't many mares’ handicaps. Her big day was supposed to be at Cheltenham in April, but the mares’ chase was one of the races to be abandoned owing to the very high temperatures at that time of year.

Sonic
    5g Vinnie Roe - Bella’s Bury
    Special Piping Materials Ltd
    F21214
    RPR 126h OR 125h
    He’s only tiny, but hard as nails. He can be too brave for his own good and has taken a couple of falls, but has won two of his last four starts – minor events at Uttoxeter and Sedgefield. He’ll get 3m and will jump a fence at some stage.
    Tawseef
    10g Monsun - Sahool
    Donald McCain
    123121-……….. RPR 137h OR 137h I bought him in the summer of last year for my daughters Abbie and Ella to ride, and never expected him to achieve the rating he now has. He’s an old horse with a high rating – which probably isn’t justified – so he’ll be hard to place. He’s only a pony, but has given everyone here great fun, and is a pleasure to have around.

Testify
    7g Witness Box - Tanya Thyne
    Trevor Hemmings
    9/1110P-…….. RPR 150c 134h OR 145c 134h
    I trained his full-brother Wymott, who won a Grade 2 staying hurdle at Haydock, so I know the family and they do have days when they disappoint a bit. Testify is very effective in small fields on bad ground as he showed at Haydock last winter. He was below his best in the Close Brothers Novices’ Handicap Chase at Cheltenham after making an early mistake. We’ve had his wind operated on and will be focusing on staying handicap chases at Haydock. He’s undoubtedly a useful horse – his brother finished sixth to Carruthers in the Hennessy – but I’m still trying to work him out.

Uppertown Prince
    6g Strategic Prince - Tarrawarra
    T G Leslie
    12214-……….. RPR 142h OR 140h
    I’m very fond of this horse, and he’s arguably my best prospect. I bought him because of the way he jumped throughout when winning his point-to-point and I’m really looking forward to sending him chasing this winter. He ran a really nice race when fourth to Santini in the Grade 1 Sefton Novices’ Hurdle at Aintree, and also finished runner-up in a Haydock Grade 2 on heavy ground before winning as he liked at Ayr. He’s one to be excited about.

William Of Orange
    7g Duke Of Marmalade - Critical Acclaim
    T W Johnson and G Maxwell
    P-16155………….. RPR 135h OR 134h
    There are two Williams – he has his good days and his bad days. He’s been quite busy over the summer and is best dropped right out in his races before being produced with a late challenge. He also stays better now than we thought he would at one stage. He’s always likely to pop up during the course of the season but you wouldn’t necessarily know when that day will be.

Horse to follow……… Lastbutnotleast
    Donald McCain was really excited about this chasing mare around this time last year but she broke a blood vessel when pulled up in a Listed contest at Carlisle in December before walking home in an absolute slog to beat two rivals at Haydock. She ran two poor races after that and I wouldn't be surprised if she was back to her best this year, which would mean she is a threat to all in the top northern staying chases.
    Last edited by the dope; 25-10-2018 at 20:23.

Registered Member

Warren Greatrex

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your training methods...

I started out with The Duke (David Nicholson) and had a brief career in the saddle before becoming head lad for Bryan Smart. I then joined Oliver Sherwood for nine years and picked up some experience during a spell with Guillaume Macaire in France.
    I was private trainer to Malcolm Denmark for three seasons just over at Weathercock House – where Richard Hughes is now - before starting out here at Uplands with around a dozen horses in 2012. It’s a brilliant yard and steeped in history, made famous by Fred Winter. We’ve added all the names of his big-race winners to the boxes, as well as our own, but I’ve got some catching up to do!
    We're lucky here in Lambourn as we have the most amazing facilities on the Jockey Club Estate Training Grounds, it's a shared gallop setup but it’s now predominantly Flat horses being trained here which means through the winter we have all this acreage and all the facilities with relatively few horses around. There’s around six miles of all-weather gallop and about 15 turf gallops so there are plenty of options.
    I like to training horses to their individual needs and to treat them on a day-to-day basis. You just want to build up a profile of every horse.
    We all know that sometimes we don’t want to get out of bed on the odd occasion and it’s the same with racehorses, so I don’t stick to a strict regime.
    Some don’t like being trained on the hill, some don’t like being worked in a string, and others do. You’ve got to factor in these small things too. We try and mix it up and we’re lucky we have the staff.

How many have you got in at Uplands currently and what are your hopes and ambitions for the season?

We’ve 80 horses in at the moment and I’d be delighted to have another 50 winners this season. It’s a number we’ve become used to hitting but I don’t really set targets based on numbers as what we’re trying to achieve is to have more runners in the biggest races and to compete in the best races.
    I don’t think I’ll ever be one who wants 150 horses as it becomes a bit of a numbers game. But I think we’ve proved in the last four or five years, with a Cheltenham and Aintree winner last year, a Punchestown winner, plenty of other Graded winner, that we’re aspiring to compete with the best.
    Every year we’ve been getting stronger and stronger as we’ve gone through buying youngsters and they’ve come forward and this year the novice chase division will be as strong as I’ve had.
    I would still have the bumper and the novice hurdle horses coming through but this is the first year that I’d have a fair amount of novice chasers which is what they were bought for after all.

Where do you stand on the Cheltenham Festival domination in the National Hunt season?

Well I don’t think it’s right really but it just seems to be getting bigger and bigger by the year. We try to play it down a bit but it keeps growing. And with the super-powers of Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott targeting it they’ve got so many options for each race.
    Here you’ve got Nicky Henderson and Paul Nicholls so it’s hard for everybody and when you’ve got an 80-horse string and able to compete I think everyone deserves a pat on the back.
    Out of all the major Festivals, Cheltenham and the pressure that comes with it is huge. So when you have one (winner), you know you’re doing something right and it’s like a drug, you want more and more.

Which courses suit your horses best?

I maintain that in terms of configuration there isn’t a better track than Newbury. The probably is you take a promising young horse to Newbury and some old fella from over the hill goes there with a world-beater and you end up fifth after running really well!
    I like Wetherby a lot, there are no excuses and it’s a great, galloping track. Doncaster is similar but I do find they get racing really early on for some reason at Doncaster and that can rip the guts out of a young horse. They’re also really competitive novice hurdles there too.

Stable Tour – Horse-by-horse guide

MISSED APPROACH
    His season will be geared around the Grand National. It was the plan to go there last year but he didn’t get into the race and he’d probably had enough by the time Sandown came around.
    We could start him off at Aintree in the Becher Chase and he’ll probably only have two or three runs before the National weights are published in February. He’ll then have a prep run before Aintree and hopefully he’ll give us all a fantastic day out. He’s all about stamina and he likes to get a good sight of his fences so he looks the ideal type for the National.
    I’ve had two runners in the race in the past – Tranquil Sea (2015) and Dolatulo – and they finished seventh and 19th so I’ve a 100 per cent completion rate to maintain!
    He won the four-miler at Cheltenham in March and it was a proud day. Ireland had won every race that day and it was the last race of the day with Patrick Mullins and Jamie Codd looming up alongside you - you think here we go. But to be honest from three out I felt he’d win. I think if Mall Dini has headed us we would have weakened but the mistake they made was holding onto him and that just spurred Missed Approach on. I’m thankful they didn’t go past.

LA BAGUE AU ROI
    She’ll go chasing this season and with a mark of 152 over hurdles I’d like to think she can go a long way. She’s grown again and has always looked a chaser in the making so she’s pretty exciting.
    She’s tended to lose her way after Christmas, which might just be her, but we’ll start off in a novice chase and hopefully get a couple of wins on the board before raising her sights.
    She loves deep ground but I wouldn’t say it was a necessity. She’ll mix between two and a half and three miles with a pretty nice programme for mares these days.
    When she ran in Ireland in April she was the only one that could live with Faugheen early and I think if she’d been ridden for a place should would have been. She still ran well and if she takes to fences then she could be better than she was over hurdles. I trained her half-brother Kayserberg and he jumped well so I see no reason why not.

WESTERN RYDER
    I think his bumper season let a little bit of a mark on him to be honest. He ran in Listed bumpers at Ascot and Newbury and then went to Cheltenham and Aintree which for a young horse is tough.
    He also had a little eye issue before the start of last season. But he did well, beating Lalor and Summerville Boy at Cheltenham early in the season and I thought he ran quite well when sixth in the Sky Bet Supreme at the Festival. I just felt he’s better than that and he didn’t quite get home at Aintree on the soft ground.
    He will stay two and a half in time but he’s not short of pace and I’d be looking to start him out in the Greatwood Hurdle. From a mark of 145 I hope he can be really competitive as I think he’s a Graded horse in the making still. He’s adaptable in terms of the ground but wouldn’t want extremes.

EMITOM
    He won his only outing in a Warwick bumper back in April. It didn’t come as a huge shock to us as he’d been showing all the right signs at home and he travelled really well.
    The form isn’t much to write home about but he won pretty well and if we’ve got a novice hurdler that could go to the top then it might just be him.
    Put it this way, he’s in Cole Harden’s box so he’s obviously got a lot to live up to! He works well anyway and we’re hoping to get him out in the next couple of weeks to see what he can do over hurdles on the track.

KEEPER HILL
    He was a good staying novice chaser last season but it ended with disappointment as he fell at Musselburgh and Cheltenham before being pulled up at the end of the season at Ayr.
    His rating has come down a bit as a result and I think he can wins races but his jumping will need to have improved. He’s very talented on his day. At Cheltenham he only got over a few fences and we probably should have gone for a smaller race as opposed to going to Ayr to get his confidence back. He had a kissing spine and was operated on over the summer, but he is back in now.
    He will start over hurdles and will go to Wetherby for the West Yorkshire Hurdle. I still think there is a bit he could do over hurdles.

THEATRE TERRITORY
    She’s had a little wind operation recently and hopefully that will help her find that extra bit of improvement.
    I still can’t believe she wasn’t quite able to win a race last season but she barely put a foot wrong all year and kept running incredibly well in defeat.
    She’s another who could go down the Grand National route although she’d have to go up a fair bit in the weights if she’s to get into the race. The Becher is an early-season option but she’s not short of potential targets and I still think she’s quite well handicapped.

MULCAHYS HILL
    He came to us after winning his point-to-point over three miles in Ireland so we knew he could motor after he was able to win a bumper for us over two miles.
    He won his maiden at Ffos Las and then went down by a short-head to Poetic Rhythm in the Grade One Challow Hurdle at Newbury which was a fantastic effort in defeat.
    There was no fluke about it in my view and although things didn’t go his well in two starts earlier this year, we’ve got high hopes for him. He will go chasing and will be better over fences. He is one of my favourite horses in training. I don’t think he would be far off winning a Grade One in bottomless ground, he handles soft very well and he's a good jumper.

LOVENORMONEY
    He’s very good in the mud and will be useful in the winter months. He’s going novice chasing and was rated 140 over hurdles so should progress nicely if taking to it.
    CARNSPINDLE
    She’s a 129-rated mare who will go novice chasing this year. Hopefully she can step up again as her form plateaued over hurdles a bit. She should be a better chaser and has schooled well.
    PETTICOAT TAILS
    Similarly to Western Ryder, I think the previous year’s bumper campaign took a lot out of her but she did manage to win a couple of times in novice hurdles. She'll stay over the smaller obstacles and I think she's up to Listed level.

YOUNG LIEUTENANT
    He was just a little sorry for himself for a day after his jabs a couple of weeks ago but has picked up very nicely now.
    He’s a nice novice hurdler and could definitely be a horse to follow. I think he’ll start over two miles but will get further as he goes on.
    EVRON
    It’s hard to get a gauge on the French imports as they’re trained a little bit differently over there and he was unfortunately unplaced at Carlisle last week. I'm sure he'll have learnt plenty from that and I think the inside track there probably caught him out as it's tight on the bends. He might go up a little bit in distance as we go along and will appreciate a drop of rain too, but I think his mark will be workable in time.
    ROCK MY STYLE
    He's one for the winter months and is a strong stayer. He doesn’t do much at home but he’s tough. He’s built for chasing and hopefully he can make his mark in staying division.
    JAMMIN MASTERS
    He likes soft ground and wants a trip. Three miles on soft ground could see him develop into a good horse.

GANGSTER
    He is a Grade Three winner and a proper Saturday horse. He is still a novice and could develop into a nice staying chaser.
    BEGBIE
    He got a slight stress fracture behind, but he is fine now. He has had a long time out, but I think he is up there with my best novice hurdlers.
    ANOTHER EMOTION
    Max McNeil has purchased half of him with Terry Warner. He was second at Chepstow and won at Ffos Las. He will stay over hurdles as he has only had two runs in points. He is a nice chasing type.
    ARTICLE FIFTY
    I should have put him away after winning a bumper at Uttoxeter. He got stuck in the mud at Bangor and Kempton and ran really well to finish second at Newbury. He is exciting for this season over timber.
    DRUMLEE WATAR
    He was bought after winning his three mile point-to-point in Ireland back in May and has done everything right so far. He's got a couple of entries this week and will likely start off over two and a half miles.
    PORTRUSH TED
    He’s unfortunately ruled out for the season which is a real pity as he looked a nice staying prospect for novice hurdles. I’m sure he’ll be back at some stage but it’s not been straightforward with him and sadly he won’t be seen this year.
    Last edited by the dope; 29-10-2018 at 14:00.

Registered Member
    KAYLEY WOOLACOTT

Here's everything you need to know about the 10 horses I currently have in training...

Lalor (Age: 5, Nickname: Lalor)
    The star of our stable, he has won at the last two Aintree Grand National Festivals, the latest being the Grade 1 Betway Top Novices’ Hurdle in April 2018.
    We’re going over fences this season and we’ve been really pleased with how he has summered.
    The dream is to win another Grade 1 over fences and let’s hope we can achieve that at some point this season.

Clondaw’s Answer (Age: 5, Nickname: Murphy)
    He won an Irish point-to-point and Richard bought him at the Cheltenham sales in November last year.
    Unfortunately, he had to have a break because he picked up a slight injury. He had a bumper run at the end of last season the season but it was too quick.
    I think he’s a nice prospect over hurdles and he’ll go for a maiden hurdle at some point. He wants soft ground so we just have to wait for the weather. He’s a massive horse who will keep on improving and is definitely a chaser in the making.

Diablerets (Age: 5, Nickname: Diablo)
    We bought him in France as a yearling. His mother is a sister to Sprinter Sacre, so he’s nicely bred.
    He’s been disappointing and has to show some improvement over his next couple of runs. We’ll try him over fences next.

Caspers Court (Age: 4, Nickname: Casper)
    He won a point-to-point last season when he had only turned four by nine days, so he’s a real baby.
    He’ll start off in a bumper somewhere before going over hurdles at some point. He’s a nice horse for the future and will be fine on good-to-soft.

Dorrana (Age: 4, Nickname: Dora)
    She’s nicely bred on the dam’s side, being out of a King’s Theatre mare.
    She’s a lovely big backward mare who will take a bit of time. She’ll be out in a bumper some time before Christmas.

Floresco (Age: 8, Nickname: Frank)
    He’s one of only a few of ours who will go on quicker ground, but he had a soft palate operation over the summer. His wind just caught him out on his last start at Stratford in May.
    He’s a nice old chap who has had a couple of starts over fences and will stay over them.
    There’s a race for him at Chepstow next week, which might be a bit short for him, but he prefers better ground so we want to get him out before the rain comes.

Millanisi Boy (Age: 9, Nickname: Carl)
    He’s a real favourite in the yard. He won at Chepstow last December and then ran in the Kim Muir this year.
    He loves heavy ground, stays all day and has to go left-handed. We bought him as a four-year-old and he turns 10 next year, so we could look at some veterans’ chases.

The King’s Writ (Age: 7, Nickname: Brian)

He was my first winner under rules at Exeter in April. He’s been a big backward horse who learned his trade pointing.
    He had a good season last season, finishing second twice before winning. He’s improved again and is a nice prospect over fences this season.
    He wants softish ground so we have to wait for the rain. There’s a possible race at the end of November but it would need to be soft.

Goodgirlteresa (Age: 8, Nickname: Teresa)
    She came here this summer and we’re going to send her over fences when we get some soft ground. She won an Irish point-to-point on heavy ground in her younger days.
    We’ve put a syndicate together and she will be a lot of fun – in fact, there are still a couple of shares left if anyone is interested in buying one!
    I think she’s on a fair mark, she was second off 10lb higher. We like her and hope she’ll thrive in a small yard.

The Major (Age: 5, Nickname: Major)
    He won a couple on the Flat for Michael Bell and spent last season being educated because he was trying to do everything like in a Flat race.
    He ended up his season finishing second at Wincanton where we were really pleased with him. He was giving away a fair bit of weight.
    I think he’s on a fair mark and is a lot more settled now. We’ve worked hard on settling him and educating him to breathe and relax in a race.

Registered Member
    this is my second national hunt selection on this thread.

1.45 aristocracy 9/2

another dude, ran terrible.
    Last edited by the dope; 05-11-2018 at 19:00.

Registered Member
    Willie Mullins Stable Tour for the 2018-19 jumps season

Even by his own staggering standards, Willie Mullins has enjoyed a spectacular start to the 2018/19 season.
    By the end of October last year the perennial champion trainer had saddled 86 winners, which translated to his best ever start to a campaign.
    However, wind the clock forward 12 months and he ended October with a magnificent haul of 107 victories, smashing his own personal best and comfortably beating his great rival Gordon Elliott’s record for the fastest century in a season in Ireland.
    In the last couple of seasons, Elliott has been well clear in the title race at this time of year, only for Mullins to finish like a steam train at April’s Punchestown Festival to bag his 11th and 12th titles.
    The fact that Mullins is this year the best part of 700,000 euros clear of Elliott and around a million clear of third in the list Henry de Bromhead looks ominous for that pair and the rest.
    “We’ve had a fantastic start to the season, we’ve never had anything like it," he said. "We have a lot of horses that went on the summer ground and hopefully a few of them will even last into the winter.
    “Anytime we buy these type of horses (from the Flat) we always look to see could we get another turn out of them on the Flat later in their career. It’s something that we target.
    “We go jumping with them first and hopefully they are good enough to be top-class horses, but sometimes when they are not, then at least you have a second option.”
    Mullins has his usual wealth of talent to look forward to as he chases a 13th leading trainer title in Ireland.

Below is what he had to say about 36 of his main players.

AL BOUM PHOTO:
    "He improved all year. I think I will have to aim him for a Gold Cup, whether it's in Leopardstown or Cheltenham. "That's the route he will go down, he is a staying chaser, he has lots of ability and is improving all the time."
    I imagine he’ll go down the Cheltenham Gold Cup route. We’ll send him down that road and if he tells us he wants to come back to shorter trips, we’ll do that, but I’d be surprised if that transpires.

ANNAMIX:
    "He is a horse we have huge time for and watching him go around there, he has a huge stride. He will go the same route as we tried to go with him last year. I don't have any idea where he will start off until this weather changes. I want wet ground for him before he starts off."
    He had a setback that kept him off the track last season, but he’s back and in good form now. A lot of people had a high opinion of him this time last year and I don’t have any reason to think why he can’t be the horse he looked like he was going to be last year. The work he was doing last year would suggest he will be a two-miler and while he is a year older now, I think that is the route we’ll look to send him down.

BACARDYS:
    "I feel I have to go back chasing with him. We can always go back hurdling if things don't work out. I think he deserves another chance chasing."
    We sent him back over hurdles last season after his first two starts over fences didn’t go to plan but given that he still has his novice status as a chaser, we might well give him another try over fences this season and see how he gets on.

BELLSHILL:
    "I am very happy with how he has come out of his summer's rest. He is one that I'm going to try to make a Gold Cup horse out of this year, he'll go down that route, staying chases."
    Bellshill has come back in looking good and strong. He did particularly well out a grass. I’m very happy with him and he’ll run in Grade 1 staying chases. He has a better record going right-handed than left-handed and there could well be something in that. That said, it won’t stop me running him left-handed, as some of the biggest races there are for him are that way around. In terms of right-handed targets, the King George VI Chase could potentially be considered for him.

BENIE DES DIEUX:
    "Benie could do anything. She is a fantastic jumper. We would love to go chasing with her, but what I want to do is keep her for the mares' hurdles. I think she might mix it a little bit.
    She is certainly one of the most talented mares around over hurdles and, potentially, over fences too. She is so versatile, we could do any job with her and I suspect we could end up mixing it up over hurdles and fences with her.
    "We kept her sound all last year and I think she is probably easier to keep sound over hurdles. The Mares' Hurdle at Cheltenham would, in my view at the moment, be her aim, unless something changes in the meantime."

BLACKBOW:
    "He looks every inch a chaser. He looks like a staying novice chaser, or hurdler for this year. However, he is by Stowaway and his racing attitude means he will be probably be better off over two miles for the time being."
    He will be a good addition to the novice hurdle ranks. Watching his races, you’d think he will make up into a stayer over hurdles, but a lot of Stowaways are better over shorter trips. So, I won’t make any bold predictions about his trip, we’ll just play it by ear based on racecourse evidence.

CADMIUM:
    "Cadmium is good. I think there is a novice chase coming up for him at Punchestown, so Ruby (Walsh) and David (Mullins) were telling me the other morning. We will keep upping him in grade, if he is able for it."

CAREFULLY SELECTED:
    "Every day of the week he is going to be a stayer. He is a chaser and will be a staying novice hurdler for this season."
    He looks every inch a staying novice hurdler to me. He gallops forever and is really a chaser in the making. Hopefully he can earn his keep in novice hurdles this season before he goes novice chasing next year.

DORRELLS PIERJI:
    "His point-to-point and bumper runs made a huge difference at Galway, as he was very experienced horse in a race like that. He wants two and a half miles plus, and he can go out to three miles. Staying novice hurdles are the route for him."

DRACONIEN:
    "Initially after Punchestown I thought, 'I am going to stay hurdling with him', but we schooled him over fences the other day and he was very, very good. So we are going to go chasing with him."
    He was very good when winning a Grade 1 novice hurdle at the Punchestown Festival. He looked a pacey horse that day and that is what he had shown us. I haven’t spoken to his owners yet, but I suspect he’ll go novice chasing and I’d imagine he’ll stick to around two miles for the time being.

FAUGHEEN:
    "He is great and we are very, very pleased with him. We haven't really decided whether we will go novice chasing or hurdling. I would say hurdling is favourite at the moment, but once again I have to talk to Rich.
    "He was over here last week and was delighted with how he looked. We just said we'd leave it for another while until the horse has started to do fast work. As much as I'd like to go chasing, he might be better off staying hurdling."
    "I haven't discussed things with (owners) Simon Munir, Isaac Souede or indeed (racing manager) Anthony Bromley yet. "He can do any trip from two miles to three miles. I'm thinking we might start him off over two miles and then let him out to two and a half.
    "Three miles at Christmas for the King George is a possibility, but a lot will depend on how he comes out of his first two races."
    Faugheen was really good at the Punchestown Festival last year, but after that we found a big growth in his groin area that had to be surgically removed. It’s impossible to say if it was affecting him, but it was a big growth, bigger than a tennis ball, and it was in a tender area, so he is likely to have been feeling something. We only gave him as much time off as he needed and got him back in as soon as we could. He’s been back in for quite a while, but I have to say he is quite heavy at the moment, so it might take him a run or two to reach full fitness. We still aren’t any closer to making a decision as to whether we will keep him in staying hurdles or go novice chasing. He looks like he would take high order amongst the staying hurdlers, but he also has plenty of experience jumping fences from his point-to-point days and might do well over them now. It’s hard to know. There hasn’t been an 11-year-old to win either a Stayers’ Hurdle or an RSA Chase for an awful long time, so he’ll be looking to break a record whichever way he goes!

Footpad
    He has come back in from grass looking very well. In terms of his trip, much will depend on what his owners want to do. It is easier to keep chasers sounder over shorter trips than longer trips, but he is bred to stay, has form over further and is a very efficient jumper of a fence, so he has the option of running over longer trips too. I’ll have to have a good discussion with his owners before we make any firm decisions on him.

GETABIRD:
    "He will go chasing, too. He has matured hugely and I'm looking forward to him going over fences."
    He will go novice chasing. We’ll start him off when he’s ready and I won’t worry too much about what trip that is over. We’ll assess him once he’s out and running, but I suspect he’ll end up in the mid-range or staying divisions. He seemed to show a preference for racing right-handed, so we might try to lean him that way if we can.

GREAT FIELD:
    "He is going to stick to what he did last year. Two miles will be his trip and we will try to keep himself and Un De Sceaux apart for as long as we can."
    We didn’t get much of a run of it with him last season, as he only ran once. He’s back in and in good form, so hopefully we’ll get a clearer run with him this season. He can be very strong in his races, but he is probably harder on himself in his races than he is at home, as Dick Dowling rides him on his own every day at home and they get on well. At this stage, you’d have to say he could be anything. I don’t think we’ve got to the bottom of his ability yet and he’s already rated 164. He’ll stick to around two miles.

KEMBOY:
    "We will start him off in handicaps. If I can get a run into him before the Ladbrokes Trophy I will. If he runs well there then he could make the jump up. He is certainly a horse that has improved and is still improving."

LAURINA: "The Champion Hurdle is the route we are going to go with her. She might start off in the race at Ascot (the Coral Hurdle) that Annie Power won.
    "That's half a plan for us at the moment, and then go down the Champion Hurdle route. If not she will come back for the Mares' Hurdle."
    She has come back in really good shape. I think she’ll stay hurdling. As far as we are concerned, she could be anything. She is unbeaten for us and everything is open to her. I think we’ll train her and campaign her with a view to the Champion Hurdle. She’ll need to improve to get to that level, but she’ll have the mares' allowance in her favour and it wouldn’t surprise me if she did.

LIMINI:……….."I think she will probably stick to mares' races for the season."

MELON:
    "We are going to go down the Champion Hurdle route again with him this year. I think he will improve from what he did last year, which leaves him right up there at the top of it.
    "I think what he learned at Cheltenham will be huge when it comes back around to it again this season."
    He’ll stay over hurdles and will go the Champion Hurdle route. There are a couple of different reasons to think that he is a little bit better than his Champion Hurdle run, so we’d love to get him back there in top shape for another crack at it.

MIN:
    "He will have a similar type of programme to last year. He ran a fantastic race at Liverpool, I was just looking at it the other day. He could go back for that race again this season, but it's a long way down the road. "Two miles to two and a half will be his trip, I don't think we will be going any longer with him."
    He is in good shape and is likely to go down a similar route to what he did last season. We set him some tough tasks at the backend of last season and was probably feeling the effects of his Aintree run when he was a bit disappointing at the Punchestown Festival.
    MISTER BLUE SKY:
    "He impressed me hugely at Wexford. For a four-year-old coming off the Flat to jump the way he did and to race the way he did, I think this fellow is top notch."

MR ADJUDICATOR:
    "We will plan the same sort of route as Saldier. He is not a chasing type, so he will stay hurdling, and will probably be a staying hurdler in time."

MT LEINSTER:
    "He is doing great work at home here and looks a really nice bumper horse. He looks really good and we are going down the bumper route with him."
    He looks a very promising type that does everything right at home. I’d imagine we’ll stick to the bumper route with him and I’d be hopeful he could make up into a Champion Bumper contender.

NEXT DESTINATION:
    "He will definitely be going over fences. He looks every inch a chaser."
    He will go novice chasing and I’m very much looking forward to him. He has always looked like a staying chaser in the making, so I was very happy with his novice hurdle campaign last season.

PENHILL:
    "He is with a girl who does work with him and he is scheduled to be back around Christmas time."
    Sending him to the Stayers’ Hurdle fresh worked out well last season, so I’m happy to try and do something similar with him this season.

PLEASANT COMPANY:
    "His aim will be to go back to Aintree again this season. The whole year will be aimed around going for the Aintree National. I thought I had him nailed on for the Irish National last year, but Malcolm (Denmark, owner) wanted to go to Aintree, and on the evidence of last year we were so close. Hopefully this year."

QUICK GRABIM:
    "He is very sharp and very good. I'm hoping he will be good enough for the Royal Bond at Fairyhouse. We will take it from there and hopefully he will be able to go down that two-mile novice route."

RATHVINDEN:
    "He was very good in Cheltenham. He would look to me to be a Grand National horse as well, whether it's the Irish or English. He will run in handicap chases on the way to one of the Nationals."

RELEGATE:
    "Looking at her around here, she never impresses. I'd imagine she is going to be a staying novice hurdler. I'd imagine if she is good enough we might aim her at the Grade One mares' hurdle at Fairyhouse at Easter over two and a half miles."
    She will go novice hurdling. I think she’ll stay quite well, but it will probably make sense to aim her at the mares’ novice hurdle at Cheltenham and then the Grade 1 mares novice hurdle at the Fairyhouse Easter Festival.

ROYAL RENDEZVOUS:
    "He looked very, very good at the weekend. I know he got beaten in a bumper at Galway, but I just thought we ran him in the wrong bumper there. He has settled in over hurdles and is another one that will be going for the Royal Bond.
    "I always thought with his pedigree that he was going to be a staying novice hurdler, but what he showed me the other day is that he has plenty of speed. His temperament probably means that two miles is probably plenty for him at this stage.
    "Until he learns to relax more in his races, I would think we will stick to the minimum trip."

SALDIER:
    "I have a Champion Hurdle sort of career marked out for him down the line, but I'm not sure whether he will do it this season or not. We might try different races and different trips for him this term.
    "If he is good enough he will get an entry in the Champion Hurdle. We think he is a really nice horse, but maybe in a year's time he will be better able for that race. We might just have intermediate races for him in the meantime."

TORNADO FLYER:
    "He can go up to two and a half miles, and if he is good enough to be a Ballymore horse, he can go to two-mile-five. He should be good enough for that. He has the speed to be a two-mile novice hurdler, but we will see when he goes jumping what he is able to do."

TOTAL RECALL:
    "He is going to be a bit harder to place because obviously he is probably at the top of his mark. He ran very well in the Gold Cup before he came down, we thought he was going to have a first three finish maybe.
    "That puts him in line for a lot of Grade Two or Grade Three races. It might be tough for him to break through to Grade One.
    "There might be a good handicap in him. He is entered in the Ladbrokes Trophy at Newbury, but that's probably not realistic. He could possibly go for something like the Troytown or the Thyestes."

UN DE SCEAUX:
    "He has come back strong, he has come back huge. I'd imagine he is going to have the same sort of targets as last year. We skipped the Tingle Creek last year and went to Cork for the Hilly Way.
    "He will be entered in those two races, and we'll decide nearer the time which way he goes."
    He’s just incredible. I was watching him work at home this morning and I was just marvelling at his appetite he still has for the game at his age. I thought we were very lucky to get such a good campaign out of him last season considering his age. Anything he does from now on will only be a bonus, as he has been brilliant. He is just so sound and the enthusiasm he shows every day is just remarkable. He’ll have a similar sort of campaign this season to what he has been having for the last few years.

YORKHILL:
    "I have to start him over fences. He had a funny year last year, nothing went right for him. The potential he showed this time last year, we didn't get that out of him at all. I think I'll keep him at three miles over fences.
    "He jumps a bit left and we are going to have to try to control that, but maybe if he is in better form or better order this year, we might be able to manage it. We certainly were able to manage it up to last year anyway."

YUKON LIL:
    "She looked very good when she won. I know she got beaten at Killarney, but Patrick (Mullins) blamed himself for that day. We think she is very good and we will try to stick to those mares' bumpers with her."

Registered Member
    Mulholland keen on Kalondra as Thistlecrack tops weights for £160,000 BetVictor Gold Cup

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 - Thistlecrack heads the weights on 11st 12lb for the feature £160,000 G3 BetVictor Gold Cup at Cheltenham on day two of The November Meeting, Saturday, November 17, details of which are revealed today.

Thistlecrack (Colin Tizzard, 12/1 with BetVictor) is on the comeback trail, having only raced three times since his memorable victory as a novice in the 2016 G1 32Red King George VI Chase at Kempton Park. He was last seen out when fourth in the same race last season.

BetVictor's 8/1 joint-favourites are Mister Whitaker (Mick Channon, 10st 13lb) and Rather Be (Nicky Henderson, 10st 10lb), who finished first and second in the Listed Close Brothers Novices' Handicap Chase over course and distance at The Festival™ presented by Magners in March.

Mister Whitaker has an official rating of 152 following his two and a half-length victory over Happy Diva (Kerry Lee, 10st 1lb, 14/1) in the Listed Colin Parker Memorial Chase at Carlisle on November 4.

Second-season chasers have a good record in the BetVictor Gold Cup, a handicap chase over two and a half miles, and another who falls in that bracket is Kalondra (10st 9lb), a 10/1 chance with BetVictor.

The seven-year-old won two of his five starts over fences last season, including a decisive course success in the Ryman Novices' Chase over two miles and five furlongs at The International in December, and ended the campaign back at Cheltenham with a good third in the G2 Barchester Healthcare Silver Trophy Limited Handicap Chase at The April Meeting.

Kalondra fell on his reappearance this term when travelling well in a conditions chase at the Galway Festival in August, and has not raced since.

Trainer Neil Mulholland, who is based near Bath, said: "Kalondra has been good since Galway and we have had the BetVictor Gold Cup in mind for a while as he has run well at Cheltenham before.

"I would like to think that he will be very competitive off of his current mark [148]. I don't think we have got to the bottom of him yet and I think he can improve a bit more.

"The ground was soft when he won at Cheltenham last season and I would not be as bothered about the ground for him now, as he is definitely a bit stronger.

"He is the most solid of our entries and you would be happy with how he is going."

Mulholland's other BetVictor Gold Cup entry, eight-year-old Shantou Village (10st 4lb, 20/1), is a two-time winner at Cheltenham and ran at The Showcase on his latest start last month, weakening to finish sixth when one of the market leaders for the 'Matchbook Betting Exchange' Handicap Chase over three miles and a furlong.

That performance came on the back of a respectable fifth behind Snow Falcon in the three-mile Kerry National Handicap Chase at Listowel, Ireland, in September.

Mulholland added: "Shantou Village will take his chance in the BetVictor Gold Cup as well. He also has form at the track.

"I think we were maybe too positive on him over the longer trip last time. We will hold onto him a little bit next time."

West Sussex trainer Gary Moore also has two BetVictor Gold Cup contenders in Benatar (10st 10lb, 16/1) and Baron Alco (10st 7lb, 10/1). Benatar finished third behind Shattered Love in this year's G1 JLT Novices' Chase at The Festival™ presented by Magners, while Baron Alco was just touched off by Charbel in a handicap chase at Chepstow on October 14.

Recent G2 Monet's Garden Old Roan Chase victor Frodon (16/1), with 11st 8lb, has the most weight of the nine Paul Nicholls-trained entries. Others to note for the Somerset handler include Romain De Senam (9st 13lb, 12/1) and the J P McManus-owned trio of Le Prezien (11st 3lb, 16/1), Modus (10st 11lb, 20/1), successful at The Showcase, and Movewiththetimes (10st 1lb, 20/1).

Last year's BetVictor Gold Cup hero Splash Of Ginge (Nigel Twiston-Davies, 20/1) has been allotted 10st 2lb. He could bid to become the seventh dual winner of the prestigious race and the first since Cyfor Malta (1998 & 2002).

His trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies, who trains not far from Cheltenham, has sent out four winners of the BetVictor Gold Cup, more than any other current handler, and is also responsible for Crievehill (10st 7lb, 33/1), Ballybolley (10st 1lb, 25/1) and Ballyandy (9st 12lb, 16/1).

Other contenders include Aso (Venetia Williams, 10st 11lb, 14/1), who finished third behind Un De Sceaux in last year's G1 Ryanair Chase at The Festival™ presented by Magners, plus unexposed French imports King's Socks (David Pipe, 10st, 16/1) and Full Glass (Alan King, 10st 3lb, 16/1).

BetVictor Gold Cup, BetVictor bet: 8/1 Mister Whitaker, Rather Be; 10/1 Baron Alco, Kalondra, Rene's Girl; 12/1 Romain De Senam; Thistlecrack; 14/1 Aso, Happy Diva, Ramses de Teillee; 16/1 Ballyandy, Benatar, Frodon, Full Glass Kings Socks, Le Prezien, Sizing Granite, West Approach; 20/1 Adrien Du Pont, Copain De Classe, Magic Saint, Modus, Movewiththetimes, Splash of Ginge, Janika, Javert, Shantou Village, Top Gamble; 25/1 Beggars Wishes, Dolos, Guitar Pete, Theinval, Activial, Ballybolley, Born Survivor, Casablanca Mix, Cloudy Dream, Garde La Victoire, Shanahans Turn, Zamdy Man; 33/1 Willie Boy, Black Scorpion, Bouvreuil, Cepage, Cobra de Mai, Crievehill, Eamon An Cnoic, Geordie des Champs; 50/1 Henryville, Sister Sybil, Whoshotwho
    Each-Way ¼ odds - 1, 2, 3, 4

Last edited by the dope; 07-11-2018 at 16:39.

Registered Member
    OLIVER SHERWOOD:
    HORSES TO FOLLOW FOR THE 2018/19 JUMPS SEASON………..

With the new 2018/19 season starting to hit top gear then Oliver picks out some of his string to follow over the jumping campaign…………….

Euxton Lane – Owned by Trevor Hemmings and did well over hurdles for us last season. Rated as high as 139 over hurdles and winning twice. Ended last season by running 7th in the Grade One Mersey Novices’ Hurdle at Aintree – a cracking effort. Has been doing plenty of schooling over fences over the summer and looks an exciting Novice Chase prospect for the season ahead. Only 6 years-old so will have more to come and has taken to the bigger obstacles well. Softer ground would be his preference and we are looking forward to an exciting season ahead.
    Hitherjacqueslady – Nice mare that was rated 132 over hurdles last season. Won on debut on good ground but has also shown a liking for soft and heavy conditions. Will excel over fences this season after really taking to them during her schooling.
    Manning Estate – At the time of writing has only had one career run – that came in a bumper at Fontwell when a very close second. The winner that day has since franked the form by winning over hurdles so that’s a good sign too. We’ve taken our time with him but schools well at home and shows plenty of promise. Is ready to run and should be a horse to note as the season progresses.
    Piton Pete – Progressive hurdler last season that ended up rated 132. Won on soft and heavy ground so once the rain comes that is fine but has also gone well on a better surface. Ended last season with a fair 11th (of 20) in a decent novice handicap hurdle at Sandown but has since been well-schooled over fences so that’s obviously the plan this season, with trips from 2m to 2m4f looking the likely distances for this 7 year-old to tackle.
    Seaston Spirit – Another progressive hurdler last term that ended on a mark of 115. He ended the campaign on a bit of a low after being brought down and then running down the field but has benefitted from a break. Will be heading over fences this season and has schooling well. Still only 5 years-old but we expect him to make into a better chaser than hurdler.
    Sevarano – Impressive in his bumpers last season – winning once and then ended off with a fine 5th at Aintree in their Grade Two National Hunt Flat race at the National Meeting. Will be sent over hurdles this season and schools well at home. Both runs last term came on soft ground so that’s the preference for him. Certainly a horse to follow.
    Shaughnessy – Ended last season with a fine win at Towcester in what was his third NH Flat race. At the time of writing is yet to finish out of the first two from his three bumpers but will be heading over hurdles this season. Has strengthened-up over the summer and showing a great attitude – at the moment he’s ticking every box
    Westbury – Very pleasing bumper win at Huntingdon last May and rates a nice hurdle prospect for the season ahead. Has got stronger over the summer too and no issues with jumping a hurdle. One to note.

Registered Member
    Anthony Honeyball stable tours 2019 (part 1)

A little later than planned, I'm delighted to share this comprehensive tour of the Anthony Honeyball yard's horses for the 2018/19 National Hunt season. As always, Anthony - whose yard geegeez.co.uk sponsors - was extremely generous with his time, and his extensive thoughts can be found below. He has a really promising group of horses, with a focus on quality over quantity and an individual eye to detail across the entire team.

Plenty of tracker types, starting with last year's excellent bumper horse...

Acey Milan

AJH: Yeah. Obviously, he's a lovely horse. He's got two listed wins, fourth in the champion bumper, and they don't come much better than him in bumpers.We've done plenty of schooling with him. We're hoping to hit the season running with him in a maiden hurdle. We know he goes on soft ground, so we'd rather keep him on nice, safe soft ground through the best part of the season.

Our dream is that he goes and wins a novice or a maiden and then, come Christmas time, we go for the Challow hurdle at Newbury would be our plan, but just because he's a very good bumper horse, it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a top hurdler. But I think he should make the transition very well and I think early season target is the Challow if we can get him out and, like I say, hit the ground running and show us that he's a decent horse straightaway.

MB: How's he taken to hurdles?

AJH: Yeah, very well. We did a lot of… We did plenty of slow, background stuff, like going outside, lots of poles in the indoor school just to get the technique really solid and he's very… Yeah, he's one that he'll certainly have a go and then he's not going to be afraid to do the job. He's brave, so we're just kind of giving him… Getting his technique as good as possible in the indoor school and then now we're coming to the point where we're just doing plenty of schooling outside. This will be his second school outside in the autumn.

Aminutetomidnight

AJH: The dam, Eleven Fifty Nine, meant a hell of a lot to us. We won a Listed bumper at the Aintree Grand National festival with her. His dam won a listed race there, she was third in a Listed race at Sandown as well, so we picked him up as a foal. We'll just see what we've got. We're hoping to run him in a juvenile bumper and if that happens, that'll be great, and if it doesn't, we'll get him in a normal bumper, but he couldn't be doing any more than he's doing at the minute. He's just doing two canters and the odd bit of work here and there just to sharpen him up and letting him tell us when he's ready to really put him out there. I know he probably wants an away day some time to go somewhere else and go and have a gallop just to get a bit more experience. But he's very interesting, yeah.

MB: Good. Looking forward to him for obvious reasons. [He’s a geegeez.co.uk syndicate horse]

Audora

AJH: Yeah, we don’t yet know much about her. Her dam normally liked a bit of decent ground. Quite an attractive mare, quite an athletic mare. Only came to us a couple of weeks ago. She just had her first time today and she ran quite nicely in one of her bumpers and showed a little bit of promise. Yeah, so it's a new owner and we'll get her schooled up to go novice hurdling now.

MB: And she's a four-year-old, is she?

AJH: Yes, she's four.

Avoir de Soins

AJH: Yeah, he's… We bought him, we paid quite good money for him at a breeze up sale at Cheltenham. Actually, the same day Ms Parfois won at Cheltenham, so our blood was up when we went to the sale! But he was, fortunately, he was the first one out in the sale. Big, sort of wishy-washy chestnut colour, similar to Ms Parfois, and he was sort of solid and just looked… His breeze was quite good and he just looked a powerful horse by Flemensfirth. Well, we certainly haven't been disappointed with what he's done so far.

I've not seen him do necessarily a serious piece of work with the likes of someone like Ms Parfois, but he's definitely… He's powering off up the gallops and we're quite excited by him. He jumps very well, so he’s got to have a future. I don't know how good a bumper horse he is. I'd say when the mud is flying, he might have a chance of winning a bumper in the deepest, darkest winter with the mud flying as I say, but certainly novice hurdling and chasing will be his game. He's quite nicely bred, he’s out of a sister to a few black type performers. I think he'd be the first runner out of the dam. I don't think there's any relatives going to run before him at the minute, so, yeah, he's very interesting.

MB: And who owns him?

AJH: Richard Smith, who's a new owner to us. Saw him on the website. We buy a lot of horses on specs and sometimes for quite a lot of… Well, we are afraid to, but if we're not afraid to buy them. Sometimes we're afraid to buy them for quite big money, but at the same time, we just saw that there's lots of good owners out there and we just thought we’ll buy a horse like him on spec and Richard Smith, he came along just at the right time to take it. Took him to view and he was just what he was looking for, so it's very good for everyone. He's got another one that we'll mention later as well.

Déjà Vue

AJH: Yeah, Déjà Vue, she's a fantastic jumper at home, she schools very well. She's like a lot of them, she's having a school tomorrow outside on the grass, but her hurdling, she's got very good technique, she really knows what she's up to. Won a point-to-point, won nicely. Just trying to make the decision now, along with the new owners, as to whether we go for a bumper first, which has kind of always been the plan, or whether we use her jumping straight away in the novice hurdling. There's no real right or wrong decision there; it just depends what comes along. She’s by Fame And Glory, and looks a good prospect.

Drops of Jupitor

AJH: Yeah, she's a really interesting mare. She won a bumper at Musselburgh, we bought her off the back of that. Had shown a tendency to sort of race off a bit keen and then fall in a heap certainly in her point-to-point, like, the one behind Finian's Oscar. He actually won her point-to-point and she did very well for a long long way and then just stopped very quickly. She went too quick in that. Yeah, she's got that slight tendency. We managed her last season, got a really good win at Exeter, Noel Fehily got a hell of a tune out of her that day, got her really switched off. We've put a lot of time and effort into getting that sorted, but even with that sorted, the problem is these novice hurdles, not many of them are run to suit because they went quite steadily and she had to get involved and then got too involved too early in the race and then fell in a heap at the end of the race. So almost tailor made for a well-run handicap she is, really.

That's why we tried at Sandown and she ran okay in a 50 grand handicap there. That's kind of found her level a little bit, so we're trying this season to kind of let her have own way, pop her out in front. She does jump very, very well. Hopefully, a fence is just what she needs and she sort of just backs off a bit and save a bit of energy.

MB: I was going to say that, actually. It might just take the edge of her fizziness with a fence.

AJH: Yeah, definitely. She loves the jumping. She's very good at it, technically very good. She might be too good. You hope she kind of goes on and kind of balloons a couple and just kind of settles herself a bit, but it'll be very interesting. She's a hell of a sight, a lovely, big, grey mare, and she'd be some sight over a fence, so we're really looking forward to that. Being that we found her kind of level last season a little bit, we feel that we're more inclined to just let her… We've given her a bit of a chance and educated her, but now we should just let her bowl on and see what she can win doing that really.

MB: Yeah, when you say she might be a bit too good, do you mean she's quite economical over her fences?

AJH: Yeah. She might just be real flippy. I'm not worried… Well, touch wood, I'm not worried about her getting lower, I just think she might just be just very, very good at it. She's very slick. That's a good thing. You can look at it the other way, if she's very, very slick, she's not going to be backing off and necessarily settling as well. What I really mean is she goes in a bit novicey, hopefully, she jumps well, but she might just back off from them a little bit and just give herself a bit more of a chance. I'm thinking she might just say, "I know what I'm up to here," and just be very quick and sharp, but on the other hand, if she is like that, she'll allow you to buy yourself a breather then you're getting an advantage all the way and you can get a breather somewhere and it can be very tough for novices to go with her. So we'll just see anyway. It should be a bit of fun. Yeah, interesting.

Duhallow Gesture

AJH: Yeah, I love her to bits. She's lovely. Really hardy mare. She's won a point-to-point. She did quite a bit of schooling last season, really, early on until we decided she was an out-and-out bumper horse for the rest of the season. Yeah, very good season and probably not thinking we've had a better mare for bumpers than her. Not everything was in line for Aintree, but it was as good as we could get it at the time, but we just didn’t have a clear run with her really. It was quite an effort there.

Anyway, novice hurdling this season and, hopefully, she'll jump. There's a lot of good mares now running in mares, maiden, and novices and we saw the other day at Chepstow you know sort of 16, 18 runner races absolutely littered with really good mares in there. So not going to be so straightforward, but hopefully, we're very hopeful, as the season goes on, she can take high rank amongst the mares over hurdles. And she will jump a fence as well, but I think probably, looking at her, she's not the biggest, so you say hurdling for her is going to be key really.

MB: When might she start out?

AJH: We're just kind of fine-tuning what we are going to do. There's a dry week ahead, so I suppose it's going to… I'd love to think around the corner, she's pretty much ready to go, but sort of early to mid-November I suppose, depending on weather. [Duhallow Gesture ran 3rd in a smart mares’ novice hurdle at Newbury on 8th November, after this was recorded].

I'm probably being a bit blinkered, I don't have to go against mares, but I just feel with a good mare like that, you would want to really keep to the mares if we can. And so there are some nice… There's a nice race at Newbury over two miles for her, followed up by another one at I think the Ladbroke meeting. Two miles probably isn't her job, but we'll see. We might not get as carried away as that. We might just go for the other opportunities towards Christmas. There's a nice one at Haydock, so we can probably get some experience and then go there, probably be the more likely way we'd go with her.

MB: They're both good galloping tracks anyway, aren't they? Two miles just feels a bit further anyway.

AJH: Yeah, you can be positive. She's very straightforward, she's very amenable. You can go a good gallop in front or you can drop in a bit. She's very straightforward like that so it makes it easier. It makes it easier if you’ve got a good mare that's versatile and they can win… Of course, she can win one over two miles, so her optimum is going to be two and a half. I don't know about three, but certainly two and a half.

Free

AJH: Yeah, bought for hurdling from Criquette Head in France. She's a good solid galloper, was always very handy in those races and just kept on. A little bit one paced, but a good class one pace for sure. Ran well in a Listed race, looked like she'd win it, half a furlong out, and then got swamped late on. So we haven't had her long, like a month now, and again, she’s obviously going hurdling.

She's sister to I think two Group 1 winners. She's half-sister to them and a full sister to a horse that's actually with Neil Mulholland and got to a mark of around 118. So quite a good family, a very good family and sort of jumping form there as well. So yeah, just don't know really. Just got a bit of size and scope to her and start off in mares’ novice hurdles. As I say, she'll probably get three miles but certainly start around two.

Registered Member
    Anthony Honeyball stable tours 2019 (part 2)

Gustavian

AJH: Gustavian, yes. We bought him in Ireland over the summer. Yeah, he's a Mahler. There's not much really we can go on at the minute. He's got a sort of reasonable background pedigree-wise. Doing nothing wrong at home, working with Aminutetomidnight. So they're on the same type of path, like they would run in a juvenile, but obviously you’ll run out of time for that quite quickly.But we're hoping we can get them to those types of races. The one at Wincanton springs to mind over two miles; I think it's early December. That might be one we're aiming Aminutetomidnight and Gustavian at and we'll see if they get there. If both get there, then we'll probably let them both have a run for the experience. So we're looking to get them tuned up for those types of races. He was quite forward. Normally, with a lot of the three-year-olds… With Aminutetomidnight, we had him since he was a foal, so we've done a lot with him early in life so we thought we can get them to juveniles. Gustavian, he seemed quite forward when we broke him in over the summer so that's why he's going to be fast tracked a bit more than some of the other three-year-olds.

Hideaway Vic

AJH: Yeah, he's a lovely horse. He's probably a mirror-image of the owner's last good horse, Victor's Serenade. They're very similar, they're real mud larks, good stayers. He did better in bumpers. He's not really a bumper horse but he's won a bumper and he was second in two and we just felt that although he wasn't a bumper horse, there's so much heavy ground around and so many bumpers cutting up, we just thought we'd just as well do that within this season and then we’ll know where we are for hurdling this season. So we've looked after him, he jumps great. He's very much a chaser really, long-term, but he's got a good eye for an obstacle and just sort of jumps bold and a bit cocky, but he's a good solid jumper. You can imagine him winning sort of a two mile five maiden hurdle around Towcester in deep ground or something like that.

House Island

AJH: I don't know that much yet other than he's done nothing wrong at home, he's working nicely. He is brother to a five furlong group placed, I think Group 1 placed horse, so that doesn’t really… It tells me there's some winners in the family; it doesn't really help me work out whether he's going to win in a bumper or not, but he seems like a bumper horse. He travels okay, he steadies on quite nicely in his work and so we are hopeful. He runs on 9th November at Fontwell. Wouldn't mind good ground. He'd be one of my bumper horses that I would run on good ground, good to soft ground. I'd definitely take the chance then and he probably does want reasonable ground. So yeah, he's going along going well enough so looking forward to running him.

MB: He's a four-year-old, is he?

AJH: Yes, he's a four-year-old.

Indian Brave

AJH: He was with Neil Mulholland before he came to us. He'd run some good races and got some education… He'd learned a lot there and he got some placed efforts. We had him for a short time from Neil and then sort of got him ready for the back end of the season, soft ground maiden hurdle. Had a few issues through the season with Neil, and Neil told me the problems he's had and everything seemed fine and so we ran him once and he won really nicely. And then he had, as soon as we got him back… Well, like a week after we got him back, he did a couple of canters and he got a tendon strain. We gave him, because he's shown us… Because he seemed like quite a nice horse, we thought it's not the end of the world. He probably needs time anyway. These things happen for a reason sometimes, we just thought, all right, we'll take it on the chin; gave him over a year off.

He's come back now, had a few little hiccups along the way over the last few weeks, but he's sound and cantering now and no more tendon issues or anything like that. Just had a few hiccups. But he's a lovely big horse and he probably still wants… Biding his time really. But he'll go straight novice handicap chasing because that's going to be what he's best at and I don't want to waste time risking him over hurdles anymore. We still don't know what we've got. If we go over fences, at least we'll know if there's any other hiccups, at least we'll know what he can do. Certainly, I've had in my head that he could actually be a really decent staying handicap chaser when the mud's flying. He's certainly one that should win over fences.

He's got the biggest feet. I think our farrier commented on it as well. I think he said there's one horse at Colin Tizzard’s that could even hold the likes of him in terms of how big his feet are.

MB: Shoe size.

AJH: Yeah. I think there's one there that's nearly got as big. He's got massive great feet. As I say, he's got a reasonable set of legs, but compared to the feet, the feet are massive.

MB: Is there any truth in that saying that big feet go through heavy ground or is that a load of codswallop?

AJH: No, I think it's a myth.

MB: Okay. We'll find out maybe.

AJH: Maybe big… Yeah, I think it's a bit of a myth. I don't know, we've had all sorts, to be quite honest. We've had all sorts. We've had horses with tiny little feet that don't really look like the type of horse that would go on heavy and they absolutely relished it. We've had horses with big feet that have absolutely hated anything, especially when it got gluey. You think when it gets gluey ground… I suppose when it's wet ground, maybe a big strong horse with big feet might be a thing, but when you get tacky ground, of course, they’ve got big feet to drag out of the mud.

MB: Like suction cups!

It's a Lily

AJH: I don't know much, but I know the dam. Kevin Glastonbury, he's had quite a lot of success with his horses, they’ve all tended to have wins and, again, the dam he was involved with, the dam in her career, I think she won five. Got to a reasonable rate, she won five and he’s bred this Sulamani filly. She's quite pretty, she's quite athletic, reasonable size, athletic, quite a nice body. She's well made, she's well put together, athletic. Other than that, I don't know a lot, but she's going outside and I think she'll probably be a racehorse. Certainly pleased to have her around and I think she's a nice mare for bumpers this season.

Jepeck

AJH: Jepeck, yes. Won 10 point-to-points. Hasn't actually won under Rules but has run very well in defeat, third in the Devon National last season, which actually, I thought was quite a solid race for a 0-125. A good solid race over an extended trip, so three miles six and a half, I think nearly four miles. He's run well in a few of those off of 110. He should be able to win, we might just even go simply just three mile 0-115. Not that big, so even though he’s a small horse, he's a strong medium-sized horse, but he won't be a big horse and carrying big weights. So whether that would work, but you could go sort of 0-115, 0-120 and see if we can go and win one. He's certainly done more than enough already to win one, just hasn't quite had his day. But he'd be one that you would like to maybe do that and then go back to something like the Devon National; have a lofty valuable target to go for after we get an initial win with him really. He goes on soft being by Westerner. As I say, he's had a good career really. He just should have won under Rules, he just hasn’t had that bit of luck.

Le Coeur Net

AJH: Yeah. He's coming on well. He schooled really well and he's always jumped well. It’s early days with him still, he didn't quite have the confidence, but he got better and better last season and more consistent. Albeit we've handed him a lot of good opportunities, but they were about and those two mile events for the soft heavy ground horse, which he seems to cope with, which, again, he'd be hardy enough to get through heavy ground, but he quite likes the tempo of the race on heavy ground. Anyway, he jumps well, he did well last season. What gives me a bit of encouragement is the fact we've had a bit of fun for the two or three seconds and a win and there's plenty of those races around again this season and we're still off a mark of 105. So if you add sort of not really necessarily need to, but at some stage, we add in Rex Dingle, our stable conditional’s seven pound allowance, which we'll have most of the season probably, that's a very workable mark.

MB: I'm not sure how to put this. He can be quite a hard horse to win with, can't he? He travels well in his races.

AJH: Yeah, he would be. When he won, he looked like it was very easy because they all sort of stopped in front of him. Noel Fehily just sort of moseys his way around, never put the ultimate pressure on him and he just let the race come back to him. Ideally, that's what you do every time but, unfortunately, all of these races are different. When Aidan Coleman rode him at Plumpton, we got left in front at the ditch and he went sort of three or four lengths on, looked like the job was done, and then he kind of realised where he was. I'm not saying he wouldn't necessarily have pulled himself up in front, it's just that as soon as you chuck the reins at him, he just seems to curl up under pressure sometimes. I think he's going to get better at that. I think he's going to get… The last one at Taunton, he got passed out into the background at third, I think, that day and then went with the other horses, stopped, but he kept on well enough to actually regain second on the line, so I thought that was a really pleasing effort. Yeah, he's a nice horse to have a bit of fun with over the winter.

MB: Yeah. Touch wood he stays sound because, so far, he has. He seems to have been around forever, but he's still only a six-year-old, so there might still be a bit of improvement to come.

AJH: And he’s soft as you like. Last season, he got tougher and he took plenty of races and became more consistent and more reliable that he was going to give a good run. Yeah, he is an interesting horse. He might get up to be a 120 horse. If he is and he can then that's going to give us a lot of fun.

Lechlade Magician

AJH: Imploded after his easy bumper win but we know why. He had stomach ulcers and we just slightly misjudged it. We had a bit of a look around at horses, particularly him, but there were a few of our horses early season last season. We found he was really bad, which didn't surprise us; that's why he was on the list to look at. We nailed that for his first run and he ran brilliantly and won really well, like a proper horse and then we… We kept a check on him and we kept him on the same regime, but one way or another, they got back on top of him and when we checked him again after Newbury, they were there again and we just never really got on top of the situation after that is the long and short of it.

We're clear at the minute and he's just one you've got to keep a very close eye on, really, for that. We've got him in a good routine at the minute and we think we've got on top of that; he's looking well. He did have a breathing op prior to his racing career, full stop. He did a little bit harsh like that, in his wind, but it doesn't seem to affect him and, as I say, really the only reason he was a disappointment last season was because he obviously… We think he's a half decent horse. A maiden hurdle, goes on heavy ground and loves it and travels well on it and he's a very interesting horse for a maiden hurdle. He's probably a decent horse.

MB: Obviously, got to wait for the rain to come with him.

AJH: Yeah. He'll run fine on good to soft, he wouldn't care, but it's just to get everything to be more confident, heavy ground and we feel comfortable he'll run on that.

Marilyn Monroe

AJH: Sister to Regal Encore and The Organist and so, obviously, you see why we were kind of interested in her. Went up to Cheltenham and she was on the sales list to look at. She wasn't an oil painting, she sort of turned her foot slightly and had a few… Well, she's looks a really nice athletic racey mare, but she's got a few confirmation issues that kind of dragged her points down a little bit. But of course, we were well bought into her before we went there really because of Regal Encore being with us and we know how good they are. That family is a very decent family and so we were very keen to pick her up and we've got her and I paid £50,000 for her and we've syndicated her. She's working nicely, improved beyond all recognition physically, just from the extra time, and we've got her in a good routine and we just got weight on her, and muscle on her, layer upon layer of muscle on her. Delighted with her. She's going very well and they all seem to be smart horses form that pedigree, and we’re just hoping she can be another one.

MB: She'll go down to the mare's bumper route, will she?

AJH: Yeah, we're definitely going to bumper her this season. I think definitely to start with anyway and we'll have to make a quick switch if she's not quite doing the job. She's won a point-to-point.

MB: Regal is fine on top of the ground, isn't he? Would you have a view on her ground preference?

AJH: Yeah, we definitely think she's going to want - I think all the family do - on their best day, it's probably sort of good, good to soft, soft at a stretch. Regal's last win at Ascot, a very good valuable race, they called it soft, heavy in places, but it wasn't in a million years soft heavy in places because Ms Parfois got trounced by Black Corton. He goes on rough ground but he really wants good to soft. We think that’s the sort of ground she's going to want. No extremes, she'll be fine.

Midnight Callisto

AJH: Yeah, one of Gary Moore's horses, Benatar, is like an uncle to her. We bought her as a two-year-old and loved the pedigree. Ryan Mahon, the agent, was, at one time, The Geegeez Geegee's winning jockey.

MB: Indeed. Top lad.

AJH: Yeah, he's a top lad. I took him to look at a bunch of two-year-olds there and he said, "This is the only one I'd kind of put forward to you," and so we were delighted when we saw her when she got back to the yard. Nice pedigree. Actually, we may well, because obviously, Midnight Legend, you can't go far wrong normally with Midnight Legend there, had a lot of success with him. She'll go for a bumper and it won't be an early bumper, but it will be a bumper in January, February, March. I think she could be quite decent. We're really quite excited about her.

The other thing we're quite excited about is we may, not confirmed yet, we may be getting her sister, her half-sister by Malinas. She won a point-to-point bumper at Stratford.

Midnight Tune

AJH: Again, we bought her privately. Rachael did really. A chap called Paul Forman, a very good man, very good judge of horses, he sort of brought her to our attention as a youngster and we went and looked at her with Rachael and we liked her. I got dragged along kicking and screaming and had a look and she's done remarkably well, really well. We sort of thought we had her at her level and then, last season, she just shocked us really. We ended up stumbling across the fact that she actually handled heavy ground and then she was, obviously, in her element last winter and she's just gone from strength to strength. We thought we were going okay with her, she'd schooled this time last year over fences. We though she was definitely going chasing, that we definitely knew what she was over hurdles, hoping she'd make a much better chaser. Still loved her, but just thought “she is what she is”, she's a 110 horse and she might improve. Then she shocked us when she went over hurdles.

So some really good wins last season, best of which was a Grade 2 at Sandown. Mares’ novices chasing this season and, hopefully, she might like the soft ground and be a really good mare to go mares’ only chasing with. Hopefully, we start that way as we did with Ms Parfois and she might actually open up into then regular novice chases and just start racing against geldings. She might do. She certainly should be very good against the mares anyway.

MB: Like you say, she was a big improver last year and that Sandown run was rock solid. She goes from the front a fair bit, doesn't she?

AJH: She does and she sat second at Sandown for a fair bit of the race. She's not thrifty like that. She's got her gear and she's happy in that gear wherever that might be in the field. She did achieve more than Ms Parfois as a hurdler against the mares, so there is a chance that she could go the same way. Whether she could ever hope to be as good as Ms Parfois over fences, it's probably asking a lot, but she's as good, at the minute, at the same stage.

MB: I think she'll be a very exciting mare to watch anyway, if she's allowed to bowl along in front. If she jumps sort of 80% as well as Ms Parfois, she'll be hard to catch.

AJH: Yeah, definitely.
    Milan in May

AJH: Three-year-old. One we're taking our time with, as is mostly the case with the three-year-olds. Gorgeous horse. He’s obviously by Milan. Out of the, I think he's either out of or his brother is a black type horse. I think he's got a sibling that's a black type horse. And so, really, a reasonable performer in the family, so just a very nice horse and we're just taking him steadily. Wouldn't know anything about him, but he does jump well. We do a lot of jumping with them and when we broke him in, we carried on the education with the jumping and he'll come back to that soon while the pressure is off a bit and then we're getting ready to run in February or March.

Mont Segur

AJH: Brother to… Well, a serious pedigree. The sire, French Fifteen, is still unproven, he's probably not necessarily going to get a chance to prove himself in a big way. He's a good horse but it's mainly all about the dam really. The dam was a black type performer. I think she won six. She's produced like six or seven winners, one of which is Terrefort, the Grade 1 winner for Nicky Henderson. Another one is Vino Griego, which is with Gary Moore. I don’t know if he's retired yet, but he's been a very good horse. He came in about last season. He's been a very good horse to them, so another winner, so really serious pedigree.

Again, broken in jumps, taking our time, January, February, March debut. Hope to get a debut January, February because then we're entering the heat qualifiers for the Doncaster Sales Bumper,

Registered Member
    Anthony Honeyball stable tours 2019 (part 3)

which is a £50,000 bumper, I think for 24 March. So we'd hope to run him in that event and it's quite a costly process entering that, so we ended up paying £500 if he runs. So they're paying out £150 as we go, a couple of deadlines along the way, and I suppose our aim would be to run him there. I wouldn't be scared to run him in it first time out if we got the education into him. We've done that before and been placed in it, so that's sort of the goal but then have to get a debut into January, February time.

Ms Parfois

AJH: Still a touch wishy-washy regarding plans. I'm tempted, if it's heavy ground, I'd be tempted to run her in the Betfair chase only if you can take the quality out of race. Obviously it’d still be a quality race, but if you could take the speed and the quality out of the race and just make it an end to end gallop, a bit of a slog, over three miles on heavy ground, then that might be a good £200,000 race. Small field, might be a race we'd take in as a sort of win-win really. If she goes and does win or finishes second or third, we've picked up big prize money and so what if we go up the handicap a bit? And if she doesn't get that competitive, she'll probably stay off her mark and it'll be a good prep run for the Welsh National. That's half the plan.

The other half is to run her in the Ladbroke, possibly first time out, straightaway in the Ladbroke and then you've got the option of Welsh National, but it's not likely that you can… It has been backed up before, but you would, obviously, take… I'd just be very happy, and obviously if she could finish in the frame or win Ladbroke, I wouldn't be worried about if she's going to go in the Welsh National. But we can tie those two December races within that timeframe. There's the Becher Chase at Aintree on 8 December as well.

There's so many around that time, it's just hard. There's a lovely 30 grand mares’ race at Newbury, the one she won last year, which was novice last year, now it's the normal mares’ Listed event over three miles at Newbury and I'm now probably pencilling in Midnight Tune for that this season if I can get her there, but that's another race for Ms Parfois and it all comes at the same time, so it's going to be hard to sort of keep going through. Definitely want to make her seasonal debut in November and that might just end up at the Betfair. It depends what the ground does really, if we don’t get the ground there. But we might wait that one out and head there and then if it doesn't come right, we might wait the extra… We'd have to wait another week or so and we can get the Hennessy… Sorry, the Ladbroke. So that might be, the Ladbroke chase, might end up being the target.

MB: I think most people would know, when you say the Hennessy, they know what you mean. When you say the Ladbroke, they're less certain of what you mean.

AJH: I know. We've got to train ourselves to say the Ladbroke now.

MB: Beyond, potentially, the Welsh National between Christmas and New Year, there are no thoughts for the second half of the season? I guess just see how it goes?

AJH: No. Obviously, we're a little bit blind to the second half other than the fact that we know that the Midlands National is going to be after the Cheltenham meeting, so that would be another race for her. We know there are races out there, I think, I'm not quite sure where it falls, probably around the 24th January, is like the Betfred Classic chase, three mile five…

MB: So Warwick?

AJH: At Warwick. She won a Listed chase at Warwick last term. It doesn't matter if it doesn't happen early season. We'd like to run well in those sort of races like the Betfair, obviously. The two races that make the most sense are the Ladbroke and the Welsh National. Make absolute sense, head screwed on sense, but then people go, "I don't blame you for wanting to go, but it's not really the right thing to do with a horse rated 146”, but I'm only thinking about that if it's a bog, like it was last season, where Cue Card and another good horse, they were fighting it out…

MB: They were a mile behind Bristol de Mai, weren’t they?

AJH: It was painful to watch and we might be a mile behind Bristol de Mai, too. We might actually come second, which I think is around a potential £40,000 and it's a good prep run for… Probably we wouldn't damage our mark and it's a good prep run for a handicap. You could certainly call it that. We're just trying to be as sensible about it as we can. Don't want to risk our mark because I think 146, actually, you could say she's quite well handicapped with that, but you would certainly think it's workable in those races, so looking forward to it.

MB: You could say, if you thought she was a better mare than that, then you could say she was well handicapped off that.

AJH: Yeah, I never thought she was going to be doing what she did last season. She went to Cheltenham, where she ran first time out, she was third of four at Uttoxeter in the same race is in the book for this season and then, obviously, there, I actually really fancied her that day and she was going really well but she was a very ordinary third, very ordinary and they dropped her to… I can't remember the number, like 126 or something like that. We ran at Cheltenham and it forced us to handicap because we went to Cheltenham for a handicap off her… I did think she's well handicapped then for sure, but once she started winning listed novice chases, I didn’t think she'd be doing that. Maybe against mares but not when she started doing it against the geldings. So I don't know, she's taken me further than I thought she would this summer. We'll see.

MB: Yeah, she's been a fantastic standard bearer and, hopefully, will be fantastic to see her extend that into this season.

AJH: Well, she certainly looks like she could. She probably is bigger and stronger. She schooled brilliantly the other day and went to Lambourn for a jaunt, a day out and bit of work, and Noel Fehily rode her. She's as good as ever anyway.

Mystical Knight

AJH: Yeah, he's certainly worked very well at home. Again, he went out to Lambourn for a jaunt and did a bit of work and a school and he worked very well up there. He goes well at home and we're very happy with him. We just sort of had… I suppose the plan is just to go and get him winning. He finished fourth of 11 last time out at Newbury, ran a good race. Probably we'd look to ride him handy in something like a 0-120, 0-130 event. He’s dropped a lot from where he was, looking smart off 139 at one point. Probably look to go in and around his mark and carry the weight to start with and then we sort of have lofty aspirations beyond that but we've got to get that done first. It'll be very exciting if we could… And to be fair, you were talking about price, there's lots of very valuable events at 0-125, 0-130 level, so we could probably go and try one of those first and then see where he is at.

MB: He was a bit of a gamble, wasn’t he? So far, he looks like it might pay off. It's reasonably promising and I guess he won't be too far away from going out there and trying to prove his mettle.

AJH: Yeah, that's it. When he gets back into a rainy period of time, then he will be ready.

Nocturnal Myth

MB: In normal British weather, we should be fine. One that probably hasn't quite lived up to the hopes of the Potwell team is Nocturnal Myth. Certainly, not so far anyway.

AJH: No. Actually, by normal standards, he's done perfectly well but it's just he went so well at home, an absolute flying machine, relaxed, easy sort of ride, do whatever you asked, and just never found anywhere near the tank empty at home. Probably the first time out was the problem because, although we'd taken him away and done other things at other places, when he did get across the bridle and a little bit tired, he wasn't quite sure what to do. He'd never been tired and in that situation and he… We brought him back home anyway and he just went through the motions and finished.

At the time, everyone said that was a red-hot bumper. I don't know how it's worked out so far, but we went to Plumpton thinking it would be a penalty kick next time out and probably found the best Plumpton bumper you could possibly find and was on the pace all the way. Probably a bit keener than we had been used to have been, up near the front, and just melted away. Still finished fifth of about 14 or 15, didn't run badly, but we weren’t really happy about that. We did investigate a few things and tweak with his wind although it never really worried us before that.

Again, we investigated for ulcers and found a little bit of an issue there and then we didn’t get the chance to really prove him again. I don't know, the ground went at a crucial time so we didn’t run him. But he's schooling brilliantly. Lovely horse, he jumps beautifully and works beautifully and does everything right, so we'd be very hopeful. And even if he became a bit of a handicap project and he ran in two novice hurdles, he'll certainly be going on in a maiden hurdle somewhere and we’ll try and prove him straightaway; but if it ends up that all he ends up with is a handicap mark, then he should be competitive with any mark around even in the 100s, 110s, 115s, I still think he'd have a decent mark. See where he takes us really, this fellow.

MB: So still very hopeful for him. I know that he is very popular at home.

AJH: His dam won us four… I think she won us four, definitely won us four races and was a serious jumper and a serious mare. Wasn't much of a bumper mare, so that gives you… We’ve still got the mare now and she was one of our best early horses.

MB: That's Gan On, is it?

AJH: Yeah. Got to 134, won over fences and hurdles.

Pure Vision

MB: Very good. He's definitely one to keep an eye on anyway. One I've been keeping an eye on for a season now, and he's definitely a horse I'd be very much looking forward to this year, is Pure Vision, who I'm sure has got a decent handicap chasing him at some point.

AJH: Yeah. We've been talking over with Frank Berry, the race manager, and he's still very burly, but he's… He was out schooling today and he looked very good. We just kind of feel like there is a decent… He is 132, we're going to be aiming at some nice handicap chases. We're just hoping, again, I don't know how far he can take it. If he could just win one really good one for the season, he'll have done his job really. Obviously, we want more than just that, but just that would be brilliant I think. And we'll certainly give him the chance in some of the races and see what he's made of. He ran very well in a sort of reasonable level competitive race at Cheltenham last summer. Barry Geraghty thinks he wants decent ground. I'm buying into that gradually. I wasn't sure at the time. I knew he'd go on it, but Barry was adamant, on better ground, that would be a much better horse. So far, it looks like he's right.

MB: That would have been his best run, wouldn't it, that run in April at Cheltenham?

AJH: Yeah, definitely. Really good effort. I'm really pleased with the run – so frustrated not to win – but it was a really good run. I think he’s gone up about three or four pounds for that.

MB: Was that about three miles?

AJH: Yes, that was three mile one I think. We won it with Solstice Son a few years earlier, that race, novice handicap there. I think there's some good races in him and he just might end up a really decent handicap chaser, but I don't know. He's at that crossroads in his career now: is that his career in a nutshell or… He's had a few wins over hurdles and over fences, got 132, not bad. He's a good horse, but it's just where we take the next step now and go and win a really decent race or two.

MB: Yeah, he's one of those horses. There's not really any particular reason for it, but he's just been on my radar for a couple of years and that last run at Cheltenham, all he was doing was finishing his race off there, and he just said, "I've still got more to show you." I'll be really quite excited about him this season. Hopefully, Pure Vision is one to note. One who is probably your best horse since you’ve been training is Regal Encore.

Regal Encore

AJH: Yeah, him definitely. He's been a great horse through his career for us. Gradually, bit by bit, he's actually fulfilled his potential. Yeah, after he was second in the Grade 1 champion bumper, you want him to be the next Gold Cup, Cue Card or something like that, King George or whatever, but he was never a big scopey animal anyway, so he's actually… He went and got through the stage and actually he's made a much better… He's made, certainly, I wouldn't say much better, but he has made a fair bit better chaser than he was hurdler and that's not what you would have thought: you’d imagine that he would have been a really sharp, really top hurdler. That career just didn't fall into place, but certainly, his chase career, bit by bit, has fallen into place. A £100,000 race he won at Ascot, £75,000 race last season at Ascot, third in the Ladbroke chase, third in a £250,000 race.

He's had a lot of Ps next to his name. We've always known he was genuine, it was just, I suppose at that level, you don’t have to have much out of sync whether it would be ground, whether would be tactics on the day, whether it would be hitting the fence or whatever but he's usually jumped well. He has got low the odd time and that's cost us the odd race and then he got nearly brought down in two races, at least, he's been all but brought down, so it's all kind of happened that way. And he's run in a National. Was given a very, very nice ride, but just he was a long way out his ground that day and he still stayed on right to the end, probably picking up the pieces a bit that day. Anyway, great career really, he's been a great horse for us. I hope there's more to come. At home, he seems as sprightly as ever, like a seven-year-old.

MB: Would the National be the target again?

AJH: Yes, I guess so. So much luck involved in the race, I just think if we end up there, he would be fantastic. But we're not targeting it as such because I just think off his mark, there's always going to be something that's coming through younger, fresher legs, off 138, where he was. It's going to be a tough handicap mark. The only thing is, with something like the Ladbroke, he still has to have a really strong constitution and he's really proven. He did that off 150, remember, last season, so it's not like he was in there off 10 1/2 stone. He did it off 150.

He came out a serious horse out of the Ladbroke, so on that basis. We think we have him ready enough now. Then there's another race at Ascot later on, but I just feel that, at the minute, I'm thinking we should be going for some of the graded events at Ascot, Aintree in December as well. I just wonder if we keep…. If he goes and wins one somewhere along the line, then fantastic. He seems to be faster than ever now and perhaps if we went to some of these six, seven, eight runner Grade 2s, we might get lucky in one of those.

MB: Yeah, so there's still plenty of fire in the belly of Regal Encore.

AJH: There's masses of fire and he's working as well as ever.

MB: That's really heartening to hear. He's a fantastic servant to the yard. Represented has been running in bumpers. What's his next job?

Represented

AJH: We had a little bit of a blip with him recently… He was due to run, basically, last week on the last of quick ground. Schooled electric, to be fair, other than the slip he had, but he's still electric after that and just a bit more cautious. He's won his bumper, he's been a bit disappointing since but he won his bumper. I know he was a good second at Fontwell in another bumper, got lumps of weight that day and I thought he did run a good race, and the winner looks decent

At home, he is a little bit tricky to get right. I'm disappointed with his last run at Worcester. Felt we had him in good shape. Little bit disappointed with that. Anyway, we're going hurdling now. I think that will happen, hopefully, sooner rather than later and he might make up into a nice little handicapper. I think there's a bit of untapped potential there. We just can't manage to get things right with him because he seems a bit soft.

MB: He wants top of the ground, doesn't he? He wants good ground probably.

AJH: He does, yeah. You wouldn’t want to be trying to run him on good to firm, to be quite honest. You never quite know with that. And you’ve obviously got places like Taunton. That’s why we’ll keep him going, get him 100% right now, just, literally, fine tune his schooling, which is pretty much there now, and then you've always got Taunton in December, you can always get that decent ground. We will set up shop at some stage during the winter and then we'll have a review and see if he's showing us enough and, hopefully, he might be wanting to come back in the spring or summer.

Registered Member
    Anthony Honeyball Stables tour 2018/19 (part 4)

Sam Brown

MB: Great. One who definitely doesn't want good or good to firm is a very exciting prospect called Sam Brown.

AJH: Yeah, he is one I really am in a bit of a… I'm not quite sure where we go with him. He's going to school over hurdles, probably have a pop over a fence tomorrow as well, and that might just tell me what I'm going to do with him.

MB: So you might go straight chasing with him?

AJH: Yeah. He's not one to keep over hurdles for too long. We had a nasty setback with him last season. He had a fall over in the field. Just a week before he was due to come back into training, he had a fall just playing around in the field, no more than that. No one saw it, but we know that's what happened. That really ruined his season but, somehow, he came back to show what he could do at Plumpton. It was remarkable to run as well as he did there and then, of course, he came out of that not quite right in the end. After a few weeks, we realised he’d had a setback. Couldn't get him back, so we've given him loads of time and he is working nicely now, something like the big £100,000 handicap hurdle at the Haydock Betfair meeting. That might be worthy of going for as a first run, but of course he won his novice, so he's now sort of conditioned towards the competitive handicaps. If I was actually doing my homework, he might even not be qualified for that. We'll probably have to have another run at a hurdle before he is allowed to run in that big hurdle.

MB: So he's got a mark, but you've got have three runs to get in that one?

AJH: Yeah, but either way, there's a £50,000 handicap hurdle on the same card and it's two and a half but will feel more like three miles if it’s heavy ground.

MB: If it came up heavy, that would be ideal, wouldn't it?

AJH: That would probably be a more sensible option. I haven’t looked at the history of it, but I suspect that it would probably come up as an eight, nine runner affair rather than the 18 runner affair of the fixed brush. That might be a halfway house, then going on to chasing, so I'm warming to that. If he schools well over a fence, then we might think again and just go that way because that's probably what he's going to be best at long-term. He's still won two bumpers, looked a top end bumper horse really, and he's won his novice hurdle, which isn't really going to be has ball game anyway. So you could argue it’s time for chasing, but we haven't really fulfilled all his potential over hurdles.

MB: He's basically three from four lifetime, isn't he? You can't really crab that and the races he's won, he's won by daylight as well.

AJH: Yeah, he's a big horse.

MB: It's still all in front of him. He's a really exciting horse. Shapiro is the next one on my list. What can you tell us about him?

Shapiro

AJH: She's a really solid fit filly. She really enjoyed that bumper run at Uttoxeter. Probably didn't live up to that level outside of that, but that didn't matter. That was probably when we had our yard and her in tiptop condition. She really ran well. She ran really well that day in Plumpton, and probably wants really heavy ground, sort of two and a half mile mares’ maiden hurdle around somewhere like Uttoxeter again, or anywhere on that type of ground would be her ball game. Her jumping is coming together. Should be spot on by the time she hits the track. Won't hit the track until it rains. And actually, to be honest, she's still very burly, so that works out fine anyway. It will take a couple of months to get ready and it might even be we need to run to get ready because, obviously, you don't like to keep pounding them at home day in, day out. Actually, sometimes you are better just to have that run even though she just might need it a little bit. I know it's an expensive to way to do your job, but sometimes it's actually better for the horses to have that run. So we'll see, but she's coming on well.

MB: Okay, good. One of your Getaways that only got away to the track once last season but was really promising is a gelding called Sojourn.

Sojourn

AJH: Yeah, we love this horse. We think he's quite a good horse. Not sure where we have him yet, how good we have him, but we do think he's quite good. Very lovely, gentleman of a horse still, does his job professionally, jumps well. I think probably try one one more bumper – maybe a lot of people wouldn’t, but we’ll try to get that win [won at Aintree on Saturday]. But because he is very much a chaser in the making, we just thought we'd do one more early season just to see if we could end up with a Listed bumper at Ascot in December and if not, not at all worried about that; still could be a very good horse. Just probably start somewhere in November in a bumper and then that will tell us about the rest of the season after. But he'll be quick to transfer to hurdling. Soon as we've got that out of our system, he'll be quick to do the hurdles. Literally, we don’t know what he might be yet.

Solstice Son

MB: One who's coming back, he seems to have been around forever, is Solstice Son. He's given his owners a lot of fun down the years and there's life in the old dog yet.

AJH: There is. It's probably wearing thin now, I think they're being very patient and I think we need to get back on track pretty soon, literally. He ran very well at Cheltenham end of last season and then stopped. Sort of found out the issue behind that was, again, ulcers. Be that as it may, to be fair, he might just have blown up as well. It might just have been a lot of factors that day. Ran very well and jumped unbelievably well.

MB: Yeah, he was brilliant that day, wasn't he? Just got very, very tired.

AJH: Yeah, but ran too well to be sort of badly handicapped or not good enough for any of that. He just ran so well to that point, he just lost the field and jumped him into the ground. So definitely worth a few runs in this autumn/early winter and we'll see. He's one of those you really want… He can't stick it good to firm, but he doesn't want it to too soft, so find a happy medium and it'll be lovely. Have a couple of runs in autumn and maybe draw a line under his career and, for that, get point-to-pointing and he'll just have a nice sort of semiretirement.

MB: He's been a really good horse for the yard, but especially for his syndicate owners. They've had a lot of fun. As you say, they have had to be patient.

Solstice Twilight

MB: Solstice Twilight is one you’ve had a couple of seasons now I think. I don't know too much about this filly.

AJH: No, just one season with her. Her bumper run at Wincanton was decent, then I don't think we've quite had her right after that. I think she got on quite well in a novice hurdle at Fontwell and she just didn't… Sort of halfway, she wasn't getting anywhere. So then it kind of looked like all we can do now is just run her into more novice hurdles, hope for a reasonable handicap mark and hopefully, then, she will be competitive. She ran off 95 in her first handicap, when we went to Exeter and I thought she ran a really good race, her last one. A lovely way to sign off and finish and go all right then. They're moderate races, but there's lots of owners out and on her first bumper run, 93 looked very workable and I think we could just be getting her back to that form. I'm very happy with her at the minute. She's checking out A1 every time we check her, which we believe is something to do with the last season. They're all bang on the mark, so I think she could run right back to that run at…

MB: At Exeter?

AJH: At Exeter, yeah. She's definitely able to win one of those 0-100, maybe a couple in that range.

MB: Just looking at her form, it looks like she ran on heavy a few times and she may just have been all at sea on that.

AJH: No, I actually think she might want that. I might be proved wrong; I'm quite happy to be proven wrong, but I actually think… I'm waiting for that for her.

MB: Oh really?

AJH: It was very soft at Exeter that day and it was very, very soft at Wincanton and everything in between. I think we've got away with it a bit really. All it did was sort of get her a handicap mark. Little bit better at Wincanton, but it was a brutal sort of… We were well beaten in that race at Wincanton, there was a little bit of promise in that, and I just felt that she just wasn't quite right in the middle part of the season. I think we just didn’t quite have her right. Early season, we definitely had her right and the last one, we had something right.

MB: She might be reasonably handicapped if you've got her right now.

AJH: Yeah, that's it. That’s what it boils down to.

Soulsaver

MB: And another one, I'm not sure what you… Why don't you tell us what you make of his mark, Soulsaver?

AJH: Soulsaver, he seems a really fun horse actually. I always say in and around 100, even if it's 102, taking Rex Dingle’s [conditional jockey] seven off or something like that, 102 in a 0-100. If he was 103, in a 0-110, I'm not so confident, but he might just prove me wrong.

He worked very well with me the other day. I was on a lead horse and he really worked better than his mark I felt and he's always threatened to get out of that range and he's on 105 now. I think he's good enough to win off 105. Well, we wouldn't be bothering and the owners wouldn't be bothering if we didn't think he could. I still don't feel we've really got all of his potential out of him. He ran a good race last time out and we just thought we'd sign off after that really. He had a blip over fences, thought he was going to really take to that at one point, and he really didn't. But I don't think we should give up on that. I think that's an option definitely, but where we were in the season, we just kind of chopped and changed it and thought we didn’t like that so leave that on the backburner for a minute, but we'll have another concerted effort going over fences once we've had one more run over hurdles.

MB: He's only six, so he's still got some scope.

AJH: Yes, he's a lovely horse to have about. If worst comes to worst and he ends up back in the 0-100, I'm sure he'll win again this season.

MB: Yeah, he's won two and he's been in the frame six out of his 15 starts, so he's been a pretty consistent horse and a winner twice as well. You'd be happy if they were all like that.

AJH: Yeah, and remember, I always think he's only just got three or four runs at that flat rate because what chance did he have against 120, 130 horses in novice hurdle off level weights? They were a waste of time, those ones, but he had to get the experience and he had to show what he could do.

MB: Talking of showing what they can do, perhaps the most interesting dark horse in the yard this year is a recruit from France called Sully d'Oc.

Sully d’Oc AA

AJH: He's very difficult to gauge; only that he won four in France, and was second in two more. I think he looks a very exciting horse on paper, very lucky to have a horse like that sent to the yard. We sort of had a bit of a prod at a handicap mark in that he seems to think around 136 is what he wants to run off. Very much a chaser on paper, and his work wouldn't tell you anything at home. I mean, he went away as well to Lambourn but you wouldn’t really learn much of value. He's not working badly but he's not showing you anything sparkling either. He’s shaping like a chaser so we’ll probably go novice chasing..

MB: And trip-wise, where would you be trip-wise? I can't remember what his hurdles were.

AJH: I think we would normally probably start at just about two miles to start with and then build into the season really. He's going to get further than that, but don’t necessarily need further than that. He's certainly not slow. He's got a good cruising speed and if he jumps slickly, he might even be a top-class novice over two this season. We just don’t know.

MB: Has he schooled okay?

AJH: Yeah, he schooled very well when we took him away the other day. Rather than the hurly-burly of the handicap hurdle, we're thinking more towards novice chases.

MB: Yeah, and will he be early or late?

AJH: As soon as the ground is ready, he's ready. He's not ready as in… He's just ready to have a run really. Not ground up to the eyeballs, but he's got plenty of time to show what he can do.

Tacenda

Registered Member
    Anthony Honeyball Stables tour 2018/19 (part 5)

MB: Great. Really looking forward to him. I'm looking forward to loads of these, to be honest, but really looking forward to that guy. A mare who did pretty well, possibly better than expected last season, was Tacenda.

AJH: She's run in one bumper and we bought her off the back of that. She finished third in a novice chase, got an injury, didn't run again that season at all, so that was all her experience. We then went to Fontwell. Had never schooled her before, put Noel Fehily up. Here you go, best of luck going around the figure-of-eight down there and have your fun down the downhill fences, and all that sort of thing. And by the way, you’ve got to make the running as well.

He went out there and controlled the race in front. She absolutely loved it. We'd done loads of prep, we were confident to ask her to do all those things, but to be fair to Noel as well, he really just let her get on with it and rode her with loads of confidence. Like he said afterwards, she's run to some level for her first run over fences and her first run over obstacles. She'd run to around 130 instantly. Again, that was very good really. And then we thought, right, she's had her bad injury, we're in one piece, why don't we race her? We went up to Carlisle, bumped into the David Nicholson winner...

MB: Benie Des Dieux

AJH: Yeah. She bumped into that, never even close to giving it a race but finished second and got her black type and we went and took on Ms Parfois at Newbury. Very happy to go for that and finished fourth in that. Actually, finished fourth behind the horse she had beaten in her novice chase at Fontwell and we never felt like she really… She wasn't quite right after that, just had a foot issue, and didn't run a race. But still ran okay, she definitely ran okay. And then thought we had her back in decent form, went back to Wincanton in a two runner race and just never really… It wasn't competitive enough, never really got herself into racing mode. She did come back from there with an injury, which stopped us running her again last season. I think we might go for the race at, not for sure by any means, but we might go for the rescheduled one at Fontwell last season, the National they have there early November.

MB: Sussex National.

AJH: Yeah, three mile three.

MB: You can't have enough Nationals. You can't have too many Nationals you know.

AJH: I know. She might even be for the Devon National at one point, we'll see how she goes. She’ll have her career at stud as well, which she has a value for that as well. Things like the Tommy Whittle, Peter Marsh, they'd be on the radar, if we have a bit of luck with her, she can actually run well in those. But she loves to go running on heavy ground. Confusingly, she actually ran one of her best races on goodish ground at Fontwell that day so we mustn't write that off as well. Mustn't be too blinkered that she's just a heavy ground mud lark.

MB: She's pretty unexposed, isn’t she? She's only had the six runs.

AJH: Yeah, she is. She's not handicapped badly. I fancy her to go for that race that Ms Parfois won at Cheltenham. I think she's around about 127 now. It's funny how some horses don't do a lot wrong in your eyes, and yet you end up on a workable mark and other horses, you think they deserve to have a bit of help from the handicapper and they don't get any and it's just so bizarre. She's actually not done a lot wrong.

MB: If you take that match race out, she finished second to the mare's… She finished eight lengths behind the Mares’ Hurdle winner off level weights, and she finished eleven lengths behind the National Hunt Chase second off level weights.

AJH: When she wasn't on her game. She didn't run a race that day, but we just felt that there had been a little issue leading in and leading out of that race, just a corn in her foot and we were managing it but it was such a good race for her we had to go for it. She was well able to go for it. We found, on the actual day, that it was going off on the day she had to come to come right and then, afterwards, she'd, obviously, run with it up again. So you put an argument to say that she could have been better.

MB: But with that form in the book and if you had to guess what her mark was, after hearing that form, you'd probably say mid-130s - 136, 137.

AJH: Yeah, probably not more than that.

MB: And she's 127, so you would have to think that she's reasonably well handicapped at the moment.

AJH: Yeah.

MB: Very interesting. Tara West, I understand she might have met with a bit of a setback.

Tara West

AJH: She's had a bit of a setback, but then she's actually entered in the Sales bumper at Newbury on 24 March. She's a big mare, she jumps superbly, might be a chaser in the making. She's only four now, so I'm not too concerned about that. It is a bit annoying to not be running this month. But all being well, we're hoping to be able to run her later this season in a bumper and then lead our way into the Sales Bumper. And if she's not a bumper horse, she's had a bumper run, maybe a couple, and then we've got all next season hurdling her and then all the following season chasing her, so that’s sort of the backup plan at the minute. But we'll see what happens. We don't know anything at the minute, but she is definitely still worth a mention.

MB: Yeah, she is an exciting one. We might have to bide our time waiting for her.

MB: Okay. Two more on my list, the first of which is I think it was a Uttoxeter winner, Urca de Lima.

Urca de Lima

AJH: Yeah, she's an interesting mare. We were very lucky with the mares last season: they pretty much all did well and she's just one that came back from some early season niggles but didn’t fire. We got her back and she was in good order we thought, but she just didn't show up. We ran her up at Hexham and I thought she ran a bit better there. The form doesn’t look very good, but she actually galloped over the line there. So don't worry about that, she's run a better race, so we put her away after that. There was nothing we could do then. Big long summer and she is looking better now. Doesn't show a massive amount at home, but when she's on the track, before her bumper when she showed us an enormous amount, so hope she'll come back to that sort of level in due course. So she's a mares’ maiden hurdler for now.

MB: Okay, good. She's interesting. She's got a little bit to prove maybe on the back of her last couple of runs, but on her first run, she was very, very good that day. And last on my list, but I really hope not least because this is another Geegeez syndicate horse, is a three-year-old Getaway filly called Windswept Girl.

Windswept Girl

AJH: Yeah, dam by Old Vic, won six times, including picking up plenty of black type. She's a lovely mare, really genuine. She's got a really genuine outlook on life and just, again, we don't know a lot yet. She's just bubbling along outside happily, done the odd bit of sharper work, went up three times once or twice. We sort of held off, before we begin their harder work, where we just don't bully them too much, her and the other juvenile prospects. She's showing a good attitude and is straightforward and that’s as much as I can say at the moment. We gave her a sharp bit of work on Saturday and then just give-and-take really as and when she can take it. She's certainly eating well and taking her work well at the minute, so she's not giving us any reason to back off at the moment, so we're keeping her going. We'll hope to have her ready for a juvenile bumper, ideally a fillies’ juvenile bumper, but otherwise a juvenile of some sort of description before we get to January 1. And if not, then she's a lovely mare with a weight concession in a mares’ bumper later on.

MB: Very good, brilliant. In many ways, it's a very new team you've got for this season. It seems to be a lot of untried stock or second season horses as well as some proven older horses and that, hopefully, will be a really potent combination for the season to come. Very exciting times ahead and thanks a million for taking time out to tell us about them, Anthony.

Registered Member
    1.00 nestor park

My third piece of info for the national hunt season, the other two ran terrible though.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the dope View Post
    1.00 nestor park

My third piece of info for the national hunt season, the other two ran terrible though.
    well that broke the losing run!

Registered Member
    I will make it my last

Registered Member
    Cheltenham Horse Racing Trends

1:50 – BetVictor Handicap Chase Cl2 2m ITV

15/16 – Won by a horse aged 9 or younger
    15/16 – Carried 11-7 or less in weight
    14/16 – Raced at Cheltenham before
    13/16 – Raced at least 5 times over fences previously
    12/16 – Priced 9/1 or shorter
    10/16 – Winning distance – 2 lengths or more
    9/16 – Unplaced in their previous race
    8/16 – Having their first run of the season
    8/16 – Favourites placed
    7/16 – Winners from the top 3 in the betting
    6/16 – French-bred horse
    3/16 – Trained by Nicky Henderson
    3/16 – Ridden by Barry Geraghty
    3/16 – Favourites that won
    3/16 – Trained by Paul Nicholls
    3/16 – Raced at Ascot last time out
    3/16 – Raced at Cheltenham last time out
    2/16 – Won their most recent race
    2/16 – Trained by Philip Hobbs
    2/16 – Trained by Paul Henderson (last 2 runnings)
    0/16 – Irish-trained winners
    Doitforthevillage won the race in 2017
    The average winning SP in the last 10 years is 9/1

2.25 – Steel Plate And Sections Novices´ Chase Cl2 2m4f110y ITV

16/16 – Won by a horse aged 5 or older
    15/16 – Won between 0 and 1 times over fences previously
    14/16 – Priced 6/1 or shorter
    14/16 – Ran between 0 and 2 times over fences
    13/16 - Finished in the top three in their latest race
    12/16 – Raced at Cheltenham previously
    12/16 – Favourites placed
    11/16 – Placed in the first two in their previous race
    10/16 – Won by a horse aged 6 years-old (9 of last 11 runnings)
    9/16 – Irish-bred horse
    8/16 – Raced at either Aintree (2), Cheltenham (4) or Auteuil (2) last time out
    8/16 – Winning distance – 6 lengths or more
    8/16 – First run over fences
    7/16 – Raced already that season
    6/16 – French-bred horse
    6/16 – Won their latest race
    6/16 – Favourites that won
    5/16 – Trained by the Pipe stable
    5/16 – Won over hurdles at Cheltenham previously
    2/16 – Ridden by Noel Fehily
    The average winning SP in the last 10 years is 4/1
    Dynaste, Denman, Weird Al, Imperial Commander, Time For Rupert and Grands Crus are all big names to win this race in recent years

3.00 - Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase Cl2 3m7f ITV

15/15 – Raced at Cheltenham previously
    14/15 – Either Irish (8) or French (6) bred
    13/15 – Won by a horse aged 9 or older
    11/15 – Winner came from the top 3 in the betting
    11/15 – Returned 6/1 or shorter
    11/15 – Had a recent run that season
    11/15 – Won at least 5 times over fences previously
    11/15 – Unplaced in their last race
    10/15 – Raced over this Cross County course previously (6 won)
    10/15 – Carried 11-5 or more in weight
    10/15 – Favourites placed
    10/15 – Winning distance – 2 ½ lengths or less
    9/15 – Won by an Irish-trained horse
    6/15 – Trained by Enda Bolger
    5/15 – Favourites that won
    Josies Orders won this in 2015
    The average SP in the last 10 runnings is 6/1
    3.35 - Ballymore Novices´ Hurdle (Registered As The Hyde Novices´ Hurdle) (Grade 2) Cl1 2m5f ITV

14/14 – Priced 10/1 or shorter
    14/14 – Had raced in the last 5 weeks
    13/14 – Finished 1st or 2nd last time out
    11/14 – Had won a NH Flat race earlier in their career
    11/14 – Went onto run at the Cheltenham Festival that season (2 winners)
    11/14 – Won by an Irish-bred horse
    10/14 – Aged 5 years-old
    10/14 – Had raced at either Uttoxeter (4), Chepstow (4) or Cheltenham (2) last time out
    8/14 – Won just once before (under rules)
    8/14 – Won last time out
    8/14 – Had won over 2 ½ (or further) over hurdles before
    4/14 – Had raced at Cheltenham before
    3/14 – Winning favourites
    2/14 – Trained by Philip Hobbs
    2/14 – Ridden by Richard Johnson
    2/14 – Went onto win a race at the Cheltenham Festival that season
    The average winning SP in the last 10 runnings is 5/1

Registered Member
    JERRYSBACK - PHILIPHOBBS……A minor cut below his knee prevented Jerrysback from running ateither Cheltenham or Aintree but he remains a terrific prospect for PhilipHobbs. Despite only winning one of his four Irish points, he sauntered tonovice hurdle wins at Plumpton and Wetherby before injury intervened. Thehandicapper has granted him a mark of 139 and it will be interesting to see ifhe is targeted at something like the Silver Trophy at Chepstow on Saturdayweek. Potentially well treated, he can win a good handicap or two over hurdlesbefore sent chasing. Either way, the Jeremy gelding is one to watch out for.

50/1 winner on Saturday, boys.

Thread Information