Page 78 of 107 FirstFirst ... 68767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2131

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonhro View Post
    Very similar to mine QC.

I have been over the 4:50 a number of times, and keep coming back to Rathvinden. A class apart from most of these. Could absolutely hose up if he stays. PWM in the list of likely winning amateurs now.
    Good luck mate. There was nothing really strong enough to make me want a bet but there's three more days after tomorrow.

Hi QC - Would be interested in your opinion re: the significance of Getabird's 4 races under rules to date all being right handed. In my view that and the hill he'll encounter for the first time tomorrow make his current price plenty short enough.

Degenerate Member
    Hello mate, great point. As you have obviously gathered many times in the past from my endless ramblings, i am a massive believer in a horses preference of going either left handed or right handed. To a lot of horses it makes no difference, or at least it doesnt show, but there are many who have a marked preference of going one way or the other. The late, great Desert Orchid was one such horse. Thirty four times he won but only two of those wins were left handed. But then again, you could argue that because he raced over 45 times at Sandown, Ascot and Kempton alone out of his 74 races, he never had much chance to go left handed. Out of his last 16 runs, only two were left handed and they were the Gold Cups of 1990 and 1991.
    But i digress. The point about Getabird is made more valid when you consider that the only time he has failed to win was when he ran out on his first ever appearence on a race track when he contested a point at Liscarroll. And Liscarroll is left handed !! It might mean nothing, first day nerves, greenness, it could be anything.
    I suppose the fact that with there being around twice as many right handed Irish jumps tracks as against left handed, you will always have to make that a consideration, especially when the Irish horses come across here and are up against horses who have been campaigned around the likes of Cheltenham, Haydock, Newbury, Doncaster etc etc.

Best of luck over the four days.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 12-03-2018 at 21:49.

4. 1 Thanks from:
    dropsy

Degenerate Member
    Morning all,

I know its the first day of the greatest meeting in the world but i've been giving some thought to the last day. And specifically, Might Bite. As time goes by, and as more rain comes down, i am turning more and more against him. We all know he has his quirks but what we dont know is if he has the guts and the fight in him to put up with the hustle and bustle of the Gold Cup, over three and a quarter miles, where he is going to be tested from flag fall and in ground that he is yet to prove himself in. The ground is described as heavy, soft in places at the moment but there is rain forecast Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. He was beaten on his only run on heavy ground and has only won on soft once. That was last time out in the King George when beating the "mighty" Double Shuffle a length. I very much doubt he would have rallied in the same way as he did to get back up to beat Whisper last year in the RSA on heavy ground.

Please dont let me put you off if you are thinking of backing him. Its just me thinking out loud as usual.

Any thoughts ?

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Morning all,

I know its the first day of the greatest meeting in the world but i've been giving some thought to the last day. And specifically, Might Bite. As time goes by, and as more rain comes down, i am turning more and more against him. We all know he has his quirks but what we dont know is if he has the guts and the fight in him to put up with the hustle and bustle of the Gold Cup, over three and a quarter miles, where he is going to be tested from flag fall and in ground that he is yet to prove himself in. The ground is described as heavy, soft in places at the moment but there is rain forecast Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. He was beaten on his only run on heavy ground and has only won on soft once. That was last time out in the King George when beating the "mighty" Double Shuffle a length. I very much doubt he would have rallied in the same way as he did to get back up to beat Whisper last year in the RSA on heavy ground.

Please dont let me put you off if you are thinking of backing him. Its just me thinking out loud as usual.

Any thoughts ?
    I would be against it too. Maybe eduwulf would have a chance.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jombo View Post
    I would be against it too. Maybe eduwulf would have a chance.
    He stays and he will like the ground. If i had to pick holes i would say his jumping could be better. He can hit one or two. But whatever he does, lets hope he has a better Cheltenham than last year.

Degenerate Member
    I know its Cheltenham and you all have far more important things to do than to listen to me ramble on but if you get bored later and cant wait for the Supreme to go off then this might pass a few minutes.
    We have all heard "pocket talkers" go on about "fiddling b*******, bent f****** and the likes. But sometimes when you see a horse "improve" so much after showing absolutely nothing, it does raise a few eyebrows. I have not had any financial transactions for or against this horse but i do sometimes wonder why i bother.
    The Jam Man ! It runs today at Sedgefield in search of a hat trick after two very easy wins in the last few days.
    It started off under rules, (after two point runs), at Kilbeggan in September where he was beaten 78L+. The plus was because he was so far behind the horse in front of him that they recorded it as a "distance". Next time out he is beaten 110L. And then 93L, 63L, 94L, and then pulled up. He was rated 80 that day. It could have been 30 or 40, it wouldnt have made any difference. But then on his next outing there is money for him and he runs a lot better and is only beaten 17L. I think whoever backed him that day suffers from premature punt-ulation. They were too keen ! That wasnt the day ! And then he goes to Catterick and scoots up by 7L and of course he was well punted to do so. And i mean, WELL PUNTED ! If i remember rightly he was around 12's or 14's when the prices first went up yet he went off 9/2 having been lower earlier in the run up to the race. When you look back and see that his SP's in his six races in Ireland were 50/1, 100/1, 100/1, 66/1, 66/1, 66/1, the eyebrows do raise again. And of course he quickly reappears on Saturday at Ayr and wins pulling a cart. And now he wins at 4/6 and sluices home by 16L although it could have been 36L if she had wanted it to be. And here he is today in the first at Sedgefield. What annoys me a bit, apart from the fact that i wasnt in on this very well planned gamble(s), is that it looks a bit TOO blatant for me. When he won last Thursday, the entries for Saturday had already been made. And the entries for today had already been made. So it wasnt a case of hoping the horse runs well and the gamble comes off. They were sure that it would and had already got the entries in to run it under a penalty rather than be reassessed. Its down to run at Hexham on Thursday. Those entries had to be made last Friday after it had only won one race and nobody knew how the horse would come out of it. Or did they......
    Its also entered for a race at Newcastle on Saturday and he's in two races at Carlisle on Sunday.
    For me, its slightly annoying to see the massive turnaround in form or such a big "improvement" in such a short space of time.
    But, as the saying goes, "thats racing"

A begrudged well done to connections............i think.

Just looking at him thinking along your lines and pondering whether a punt might be in order,as you know this is the time that some odd results happen away from chelters,I was thinking of putting him in with some other that I haven't found yet,I fancy western Ryder in the first at big odds each way ,ooh time for toast and marmalade.happy punting
    Barry breaks the windows of his Broken Home have a guess his tiny minds been scarred. ian dury,rip
    2018 Cheltenham festival winner not proud just boasting lol

Registered Member
    I see you nap Native River - I thought you fancied Definitely Red.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    I see you nap Native River - I thought you fancied Definitely Red.
    Hello mate,

I do but i think i said something along the lines of it has a massive each way chance or big chance to make the frame. I havent got too much between them so Native River to win And Definitly Red to be second would be a good result. I know someone close to me who is hoping for that.
    And can i take you back to the result of the 1.05 at Newcastle, the French Furze Novice Hurdle on November 29th, 2014.

1st Native River
    2nd Definitly Red

I think the Tizzards and all the connections and punters would take that again.

One last thing though. I wish they had spelt "Definitly" correctly !!!

p.s. And there's another one. Some people use "spelt" and others use "spelled"

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fridge View Post
    Just looking at him thinking along your lines and pondering whether a punt might be in order,as you know this is the time that some odd results happen away from chelters,I was thinking of putting him in with some other that I haven't found yet,I fancy western Ryder in the first at big odds each way ,ooh time for toast and marmalade.happy punting
    The Lady Riders Handicap Hurdle at Huntingdon tomorrow (3.45) could be one such race. There looks to be a couple of plots and sub plots.

Anybody had a look ?

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    The Lady Riders Handicap Hurdle at Huntingdon tomorrow (3.45) could be one such race. There looks to be a couple of plots and sub plots.

Anybody had a look ?

skeltons horse is a good thing! he should be winning the 2nd race too- they probably wont be backable prices tho!

9/2 and 3/1 according to sporting life - i would take that 3/1 vote of confidence with a maximum bet. it would be 5/4 in my book!
    Last edited by Jombo; 13-03-2018 at 13:10.

Degenerate Member
    skeltons horse is a good thing! he should be winning the 2nd race too- they probably wont be backable prices tho!

9/2 and 3/1 according to sporting life - i would take that 3/1 vote of confidence with a maximum bet. it would be 5/4 in my book!
    Thanks mate. Both having their first starts for the yard having left Laura Hurley.
    There are a couple more in that 3.45. The Blue Bomber is down 22lb this season and has the form from last year to win this in a canter. And then there's the Gavin Cromwell trained Callthebarman with Rachel Blackmore on top.

Degenerate Member
    if skelton or Olly Murphy buys the blue bomber then it will be worthy of a bet!

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropsy View Post
    Hi QC - Would be interested in your opinion re: the significance of Getabird's 4 races under rules to date all being right handed. In my view that and the hill he'll encounter for the first time tomorrow make his current price plenty short enough.
    And apart from not settling, he went right at most of his hurdles.

Degenerate Member
    Day 2

1-30 - SAMCRO
    2-10 - PRESENTING PERCY
    2-50 - BARRA and THE ORGANIST
    3-30 - ALTIOR
    4-10 - TIGER ROLL and CAUSE OF CAUSES
    4-50 - No idea
    5-30 - Even less idea

Degenerate Member

11/8 both with paddies!

Degenerate Member

Its the 3.45 that interests me most. I'm not having a bet but the market between now and the off will be interesting.

Degenerate Member
    clearly that callthebarman is the interesting one since it has being campaigned like the The Jam Man. I couldnt be backing it tho as its by lord shanakill and shouldn't stay.

Degenerate Member
    clearly that callthebarman is the interesting one since it has being campaigned like the The Jam Man. I couldnt be backing it tho as its by lord shanakill and shouldn't stay.

Bisoubisou is entered up again tomorrow and friday and the jockey is the trainers girlfriend maybe that could be the answer to this tricky puzzle!

Thread Information