Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1440

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

  1. #1341
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Oh dear, you as well mate

  2. #1342
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    One of my best bets ever that was a looser was 16/1 w/o Faugheen on MTOY the year before last. I just couldnt see anything else in the race.

    Then Faugheen got injured and they supplemented Annie and he got beat by her instead. (that said i shouted her home but still) . It was in my top 5 most confident bets ever.
    Twitter Longshotvalue www.longshotvalue.com Pricewise challange

  3. #1343
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    You got me thinking of Cheltenham losers and of course there are many. And many have "hurt" and one of the biggest ones was Broadsword in the 81 Triumph Hurdle. It was my nap of the meeting and it was going to pay for Aintree and a holiday. I "went in" a few times on it and as Peter Scu brought it to challenge going to the last and then jumped to the front i'm thinking "happy days". It was still 2L clear halfway up the run in and then all of a sudden this came past it and nailed it near the line. And NO !!!! I was definitely NOT thinking"not to worry, thats racing". And i remember looking at the paper and looking up the winner and thinking, "Trained by Martin Pipe ! Who the is this Pipe fella ? He just wins sellers round Newton Abbot and Taunton doesnt he ?"

    Not that day he wasnt !

  4. #1344
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    And just to make things worse, i've just watched it again on Youtube.

  5. #1345
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,762
    Harchibald springs to mind here in the 2005 Champion Hurdle. Stood to win a mate of mine a tidy sum of money. Pulling a train jumping the last and all carberry had to do was push the button and win the race but we all know what happened when he said "go on" and win the race. (Zilch) My mate never backed another horse since and he still blames carvery for not winning.
    Girup

  6. #1346
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Good call mate. I've lost count of the number of arguments/discussions i've listened to over whether he should have won or would never have won. For those who want to re-live it...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtFXeEOLFrE

  7. #1347
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,173
    I was a poor student n Galway n 2005 & on harichald too wasn't a great day but lumped on Moscow Flyer the next day I think & I'll never forget the queue to collect n boyles was out the door

  8. #1348
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Quote Originally Posted by ceiphas50 View Post
    I was a poor student n Galway n 2005 & on harichald too wasn't a great day but lumped on Moscow Flyer the next day I think & I'll never forget the queue to collect n boyles was out the door
    I do love a happy ending

  9. #1349
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Pleased to see Callum Bewley get an 8 day ban today. Its just a pity it wasnt longer. I will admit to shouting at the telly telling him to pull up an obviously very, very tired horse before they turned into the straight. What possessed him to carry on and try and finish on a horse that was clearly out on his feet is beyond me. It definitely cant have been the 1100 for finishing fourth. If they were that hard up i'd give them it myself. But carry on he did and the poor horse, Charmix, barely had the strength to get over the fence and not surprisingly came down. If anything serious had happened to the horse i think i would have run to Kelso and give him a good kicking. It did not look good and does nowt for the good of racing.

    Rant over.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 15-02-2018 at 21:12.

  10. #1350
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Its here !!!!! We will all never, ever, back a loser again !!!! How on earth have we all managed to get by in the past ???? More to the point, how have we ever been so lucky, jammy, call it what you will, as to ever back a winner without it ????

    Stride Data is now available to us all. This oh so valuable information tells us of Stride Length and Stride Frequency.
    Dont you all wish you had this information many years ago ????
    Just think of all the winners you would have backed ????
    More to the point, just think of all the millions you would now have stashed away in the bank !!!!
    Its the dawn of a new era.
    I'm now sat thinking of which bookie to take down first.



  11. 1 Thanks from:
    Jombo

  12. #1351
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Its here !!!!! We will all never, ever, back a loser again !!!! How on earth have we all managed to get by in the past ???? More to the point, how have we ever been so lucky, jammy, call it what you will, as to ever back a winner without it ????

    Stride Data is now available to us all. This oh so valuable information tells us of Stride Length and Stride Frequency.
    Dont you all wish you had this information many years ago ????
    Just think of all the winners you would have backed ????
    More to the point, just think of all the millions you would now have stashed away in the bank !!!!
    Its the dawn of a new era.
    I'm now sat thinking of which bookie to take down first.



    It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that geyser who used to be on Racing UK by any chance? Was it James Willoughby? He was always going on about how important stride patterns were and he left RUK at the back end of last year to do something vitally important.

    I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't behind the stride pattern revolution.

  13. #1352
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Hello mate,

    It was actually on the ATR website and i saw a tweet about it earlier this morning. I've been trying to find the tweet but to no avail. What it was saying was that its a great innovation and whoever it was backed a winner the first time he used it. (I think he said he believed in Father Christmas as well)
    Isnt this, and all the other new technology shite, just trying to bring science into something that doesnt need science !?!?
    None of us used this sort of garbage many years ago and we dont use it or need it now. They are just trying to complicate things.
    As for Willoughby, he is definitely the most boring man in the world. He was probably the main reason (closely followed by six or seven others) why i have my tv on mute all day. As i've said before, he will come out with some crackpot theory of his and within ten minutes or so it has turned into a well known and proven fact. The bloke is a bluffer of the highest order. He tries to complicate things so much i sometimes think he does it just so he feels far superior and so he can look down on us mere mortals. There is no limit to the absolute bollocks this bloke can talk ! Yet ask him to give you a winner and he is f***** !!!!!!!!!!!
    Apparently he is taking time out to write a book. I can see it challenging that other best seller, "Interesting Ant Hills I Have Found", for the book of the year prize.

    Rant over...............again
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 16-02-2018 at 15:11.

  14. #1353
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Hello mate,

    It was actually on the ATR website and i saw a tweet about it earlier this morning. I've been trying to find the tweet but to no avail. What it was saying was that its a great innovation and whoever it was backed a winner the first time he used it. (I think he said he believed in Father Christmas as well)
    Isnt this, and all the other new technology shite, just trying to bring science into something that doesnt need science !?!?
    None of us used this sort of garbage many years ago and we dont use it or need it now. They are just trying to complicate things.
    As for Willoughby, he is definitely the most boring man in the world. He was probably the main reason (closely followed by six or seven others) why i have my tv on mute all day. As i've said before, he will come out with some crackpot theory of his and within ten minutes or so it has turned into a well known and proven fact. The bloke is a bluffer of the highest order. He tries to complicate things so much i sometimes think he does it just so he feels far superior and so he can look down on us mere mortals. There is no limit to the absolute bollocks this bloke can talk ! Yet ask him to give you a winner and he is f****** !!!!!!!!!!!
    Apparently he is taking time out to write a book. I can see it challenging that other best seller, "Interesting Ant Hills I Have Found", for the book of the year prize.

    Rant over...............again
    Great rant! spot on about willoughby!

  15. #1354
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,173
    QC what races are tissuing for tomorrow - i might have a look too!

    cracking racing tomorrow with presenting percy in gowran and waiting patiently at Ascot.

  16. #1355
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Hello mate,

    I'm doing five. I'm steering away from those two races and i've also been doing the "lesser" races of the day lately although on a Saturday that isnt always possible. Its easier to find the ricks on the ones i've been doing. Tomorrows are Wincanton 3.20 and 3.55, Ascot 2.25 and 3.00 and the Grand National trial at Haydock, the 3.15. That race is for the missus.
    Sunday looks better for me with Market Rasen and Ffos Las.

  17. #1356
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,173
    With the small fields tomorrow it will be hard to find any ricks

  18. #1357
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    I know what you're saying but sometimes you'd be surprised. I'm trying to keep to 6 to 10 runner fields (i can fit more in then) and theres never a day goes by without finding at least a couple.
    I noticed about a month ago that there was starting to be a lot more discrepancies in prices between the firms. For a long time now its been a case of looking on oddschecker and seeing something like 3/1 - 3/1 - 3/1 - 3/1 - 10/3 - 3/1 - 3/1 - 10/3 - 3/1 etc etc, where the two or three firms who actually have compilers or a tissue have gone up and the rest have just copied and put their systems on track. But i cant tell if there is a different tissue going around or one firm at least has decided to put some of their own thoughts to a tissue and rejigged a few prices or whatever but i'm seeing some big differences now. And although its still hard to get on sometimes, or get enough on, it is paying off. I've never used Betfair so much for a long time but for what i am doing its a must !
    But you can still get ricks in smallish fields, believe me. There have been a few howlers lately.

    Time for lunch and then off i go. Have a good day, be lucky.

  19. #1358
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Aidan, where are you ? Regal Encore ? I had it at 8's. Well overpriced at 14's in my opinion.

  20. #1359
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Aidan, where are you ? Regal Encore ? I had it at 8's. Well overpriced at 14's in my opinion.
    He certainly looks value , but i think he has been pricewised so i might have missed the boat. Probably last or first for him.

    If your doing that National Trial, i've really convinced myself that Silsol just wins and my 100/1 ew bet for the national is going to look good after it. What you think .. Might struggle to get in to the main race through.
    Twitter Longshotvalue www.longshotvalue.com Pricewise challange

  21. #1360
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,426
    Morning mate,

    Let me say first of all that i am not backing Regal Encore. I think most people know my thoughts regarding that stable and especially those colours. But there was something about his run last time here that i found odd. Yet try as i might i just cant put my finger on it. Something didnt add up but i dont know what. The saying goes that you can always forgive a horse one bad run but somehow that line doesnt apply to this yard. But if you do forgive it that effort then its previous run is a cracking third in the Hennessy trying to give 3lb to Total Recall. In light of what that horse has done since, and its future plans, that is some of the best form around in this race. Plus of course he is 8lb better in with Gold Present.
    There's a line in the RP which says the horse has been "hit and miss" over the years. That did make me laugh. A "hit" when they wanted it to be and a "miss" when they wanted it.

    As for the Grand National Trial, i said i was doing it for the missus. What a complete waste of time that was. She is backing Blaklion. She ALWAYS backs Blaklion !! Its done her many favours in the past and she will not let go. Silsol was interesting. Then again, a few of the others were. I wouldnt be surprised to see Mysteree bounce back. Apparently it swallowed a big clump of mud that was kicked back in the Welsh National last time out. An interesting race.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •