Page 67 of 106 FirstFirst ... 57656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2101

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

  1. #1321
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,391
    Quote Originally Posted by fridge View Post
    I would frequent pp and boyles in Mallow,and pp,Ladbrokes charleville,also Buttevant,and a couple over abbeyfeale.
    Just noticed laurina is 11/8 at fairyhouse today,but is even money in the mares novice at Cheltenham ?
    is bamburys still open in mallow?

  2. #1322
    Registered Member fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mallow co cork
    Posts
    967
    That the little independent one?if it is ,it's still open .
    Barry breaks the windows of his Broken Home have a guess his tiny minds been scarred. ian dury,rip
    2018 Cheltenham festival winner not proud just boasting lol

  3. #1323
    Ex-Administrator Flyingbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,603
    Quote Originally Posted by fridge View Post
    Just noticed laurina is 11/8 at fairyhouse today,but is even money in the mares novice at Cheltenham ?
    Laurina / Lareena. Two different horses buddy. Both fillies of the same age with the same trainer but different owners. Also, one is very good and the other is meh.

  4. #1324
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingbolt View Post
    Laurina / Lareena. Two different horses buddy. Both fillies of the same age with the same trainer but different owners. Also, one is very good and the other is meh.
    Let's hope he sends out the good one today..
    Girup

  5. 1 Thanks from:
    Flyingbolt

  6. #1325
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,825
    Whats going on here ?

  7. #1326
    Registered Member fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mallow co cork
    Posts
    967
    Oops my bad!☺
    Barry breaks the windows of his Broken Home have a guess his tiny minds been scarred. ian dury,rip
    2018 Cheltenham festival winner not proud just boasting lol

  8. #1327
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Tush View Post
    Let's hope he sends out the good one today..
    If Charlie Mann trained them then who knows which one would end up at Fairyhouse !!!

  9. #1328
    Registered Member fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mallow co cork
    Posts
    967
    Have to laugh he said he had a 12/1 winner and was more surprised than the bha officials!
    Barry breaks the windows of his Broken Home have a guess his tiny minds been scarred. ian dury,rip
    2018 Cheltenham festival winner not proud just boasting lol

  10. #1329
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,825
    He is definitely a one off..................thankfully.

    Might as well talk racing for a change. I'm totally hacked off ranting about the BHA and ATR and RUK etc etc.
    I was totally hacked off this morning as well. I fancied one today and managed to get a decent amount on at top price last night. And then the price collapsed. And then the meeting was abandoned

    Nothing really stands out tomorrow although i thought a couple had chances at backable prices.

    At Huntingdon in the 1.45, Free Range was the one that caught my eye. This one won two points at Bandon and Nenagh this time last year so the step up in trip from last time out should help.

    In the 3.20, Bally Gilbert was the one i liked best. The stable is obviously going well and the piece of form two runs back when third to Workbench in a better race than this reads very well. He is 2lb lower than that day as well and i think he must go well. He's been placed in a couple of points in the past and this step up in trip should suit.

    Over at Towcester, in the 2.55, Red Indian has to be thereabouts but i kept going back to Box Office. This is its first run since being tailed off in a Southwell novice chase last June. I do think however that he is better going right handed and conditions here look ideal. He can go well after a break, he won at Market Rasen last March after a six month layoff, and i think he could go well. But !!, as most of you know, especially Jombo, its "JJ" and "JP" and those green and gold hoops which spell danger. I priced him up at 8's and nearly went 7's so i think the 11/1 available is too big. But !!, with it being these connections, this could go off at 5/1 and it could also go off at 20's !! I just cant get involved.

    And in the last at Doncaster i think the fav, Flow With Eve has been put in far too short at 11/10. It was second at Fakenham last time out in a very bad race on heavy ground over two and a half miles. It drops back in trip tomorrow to 2m, is racing on good to soft, and although this is also a bad race, there are a few with chances. And i heard it said yesterday about "the in form Olly Murphy yard", but he has only had one winner from his last eleven runners and four beaten favs in that time, one at 2/9 !! You couldnt rule out Hartside (every chance !) nor Teescomponents Max and dear old Thundering Home is not out of it. I had to laugh because even the rank outsider, First Of Never, has a couple of bits of course form that gives it a squeak and the 50/1 is massive. He finished third over C/D last January off a similar mark and a repetition of that wouldnt see him far away.

    How nice to talk about racing for a change. Needless to say though, i wont be bothering.

    Any fancies or comments anyone ?
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 07-02-2018 at 19:46.

  11. #1330
    Registered Member fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mallow co cork
    Posts
    967
    Vindication is running today at hunts14:15,form is 111 he has two entries for Cheltenham Baltimore novices and the Albert bartlett ,is today just a blow out ,or will be be out to win?what say y'all?
    Barry breaks the windows of his Broken Home have a guess his tiny minds been scarred. ian dury,rip
    2018 Cheltenham festival winner not proud just boasting lol

  12. #1331
    Registered Member fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mallow co cork
    Posts
    967
    Well it won any way
    Barry breaks the windows of his Broken Home have a guess his tiny minds been scarred. ian dury,rip
    2018 Cheltenham festival winner not proud just boasting lol

  13. #1332
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,825
    Hope you were on it mate.

  14. #1333
    Registered Member fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mallow co cork
    Posts
    967
    Had to I'd put it up,mind you that's normally the kiss of death.
    Last edited by fridge; 08-02-2018 at 14:44. Reason: Auto correct gone bonkers
    Barry breaks the windows of his Broken Home have a guess his tiny minds been scarred. ian dury,rip
    2018 Cheltenham festival winner not proud just boasting lol

  15. #1334
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    5,038
    QC, any chance of a rundown of the veterans race at Exeter today?

  16. #1335
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,825
    Hello mate,
    The way you are going at the moment, you should be giving us a rundown. I was actually thinking of doing it yesterday but i've got myself wheeling and dealing again and time has been a bit on the short side lately.

    Just a quick piece on each.
    Harry Topper is an old fav of mine and was near top class a few years ago. But he hasnt won for four years and has had only six runs since that win. He was 4th in this last year and runs off a 4lb lower mark here. He has been off since last March though. I'd love to see him win it. Conditions are ideal.
    Fletchers Flyer is another who has conditions to suit and it wasnt too bad a run at Sandown last time out behind Buywise. He's down 3lb from that race and the jock takes another 3lb off.
    Henri Parry Morgan is an infuriating bugger and should have won a few more races than he actually has. I have to admit to laying him a couple of times because he's just forgotten how to win. That said, he was actually going ok at Plumpton last time out in the Sussex National until just failing to get home. I wouldnt want to be laying him today.
    Pete The Feat. He'll run his usual game race and what a little star he has been but i think this mark of 133 is beyond him these days.
    To me, Gentleman Jon is more at home on a flatter track and i'm not sure this place will suit him. Four of his six wins have been at Wincanton with one each at Newton Abbot and Fontwell. He stays ok but a combination of this ground and this track make me look elsewhere.
    Cloudy Bob. If you had asked me a few weeks or a few months ago what conditions Cloudy Bob would NOT want i would have said something along the lines of a 3m slog in the mud at somewhere like Towcester or Exeter. And here he is. I know he won last week round Taunton but Taunton isnt Exeter. He may have improved for the change of trainer but i couldnt back him here with counterfeit.
    Band Of Blood is the dark horse. He hasnt run since April 2016, hasnt won since October 2014 but is with a trainer who has done very well in the past with horses coming back after a long lay off. I definitely wouldnt want to be laying him either.

    As you may well have guessed, i will not be having a bet. I will however, purely for sentiment, be cheering on one of my old mates in Harry Topper.

    Hows that ?

    Back to Catterick and Plumpton.

  17. #1336
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    5,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Hello mate,
    The way you are going at the moment, you should be giving us a rundown. I was actually thinking of doing it yesterday but i've got myself wheeling and dealing again and time has been a bit on the short side lately.

    Just a quick piece on each.
    Harry Topper is an old fav of mine and was near top class a few years ago. But he hasnt won for four years and has had only six runs since that win. He was 4th in this last year and runs off a 4lb lower mark here. He has been off since last March though. I'd love to see him win it. Conditions are ideal.
    Fletchers Flyer is another who has conditions to suit and it wasnt too bad a run at Sandown last time out behind Buywise. He's down 3lb from that race and the jock takes another 3lb off.
    Henri Parry Morgan is an infuriating bugger and should have won a few more races than he actually has. I have to admit to laying him a couple of times because he's just forgotten how to win. That said, he was actually going ok at Plumpton last time out in the Sussex National until just failing to get home. I wouldnt want to be laying him today.
    Pete The Feat. He'll run his usual game race and what a little star he has been but i think this mark of 133 is beyond him these days.
    To me, Gentleman Jon is more at home on a flatter track and i'm not sure this place will suit him. Four of his six wins have been at Wincanton with one each at Newton Abbot and Fontwell. He stays ok but a combination of this ground and this track make me look elsewhere.
    Cloudy Bob. If you had asked me a few weeks or a few months ago what conditions Cloudy Bob would NOT want i would have said something along the lines of a 3m slog in the mud at somewhere like Towcester or Exeter. And here he is. I know he won last week round Taunton but Taunton isnt Exeter. He may have improved for the change of trainer but i couldnt back him here with counterfeit.
    Band Of Blood is the dark horse. He hasnt run since April 2016, hasnt won since October 2014 but is with a trainer who has done very well in the past with horses coming back after a long lay off. I definitely wouldnt want to be laying him either.

    As you may well have guessed, i will not be having a bet. I will however, purely for sentiment, be cheering on one of my old mates in Harry Topper.

    Hows that ?

    Back to Catterick and Plumpton.
    Tricky one as you say Band of Blood is the unknown quantity, thanks for the rundown

  18. #1337
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,825
    Morning all,

    I'm sat here bored out of my tiny little mind. The decs arent in until 11.00, there is no racing to bother with today but at least its quiet. You know who is out and wont be back for a few hours. Peace and quiet !
    So i thought i would amuse myself and have a reminisce. I've just picked up a random form book without looking at the year or the results so i hope it was a good day.

    Right. So its February 13th 1982.
    The meetings that day were Newbury, Ayr, Catterick and Leopardstown. Of course it was Schweppes Gold Trophy day. To the "not so old" amongst us it is now the Betfair Hurdle. And its bad news straight away . Now and again i can remember what i backed in certain races many moons ago and unfortunately, this is one of them. The race was won by Paul Kelleway's Donegal Prince, ridden by John Francome. Back in second was mine, Ekbalco, and Mount Harvard was third. Ekbalco was unfortunate in that he was just that pound or two short of top class but still won his fair share of races. I remember being at Newcastle the day he won his Fighting Fifth and i think it was the season before that he won a couple of decent handicaps at Sandown. He used to be always held up for a late burst of speed and in David Goulding he had the right type of jock on board. That said, Goulding was known to mess it up occasionally on other animals and i know he wasnt everybodys cup of tea. I suppose you could liken him to Jamie Spencer today.
    The "Game Spirit Chase", which that monster Altior won on Saturday, was won by News King who was trained by the great Fred Winter and was another winner for Mr Francome.
    The Compton Chase, which is now the Denman Chase, was won by Josh Gifford's Royal Judgement who beat Diamond Edge and Straight Jocelyn in a three runner affair. The runner up was 4/9 that day so a few fingers were burned. But i think that when most of us hear the name Diamond Edge, we immediately think of Sandown and the Whitbread. He won it twice and was involved in some memorable finishes round there none more so than the 1984 renewal. I do know that its on youtube and if you get a spare few minutes then have a watch. What a finish.
    I was rather saddened to see that the Hunter Chase was won by Midnight Court bearing in mind he had won the Cheltenham Gold Cup four years earlier. I'm not a fan of seeing once great horses still running while in decline and more so when you consider that he had fallen three times the previous season. I just cant see the point. I've heard it said that "the horse is still enjoying it" but i dont suppose he "enjoyed" the falls ! Other winners that day were Voice Of Progress and The Thatcher.
    At Ayr, a dear old friend of mine who i have mentioned on here before won the 2m chase. The evergreen Even Melody won for "the Captain", Neville Crump, with "Geordie" Dun on top. But another race intrigued me more and my eye was drawn to the winner of the last, the amateur riders maiden hurdle. The horse was Canny Danny and those with decent memories will remember him. He went on to be a near top class chaser who won a stack of races for Jimmy Fitzgerald including the 1983 Sun Alliance Chase (RSA) and finished second to Burrough Hill Lad in the Hennessy.
    Over at Catterick it was decent racing and Sally Hall had a double. A few of you will remember some of the winners that day with B and K Emperor, Cool Decision and Michael Dickinson's Compton Lad possibly being the obvious ones.
    Absolutely cracking racing over at Leopardstown that day as well and it was Leopardstown Champion Hurdle day. The race was won by that brilliant old horse, Daring Run, with of course the very quietly spoken and very shy Ted Walsh on board.
    Another "great" won the next race and that was Royal Bond. He won races here, there and everywhere and it must have been a thrill to own a horse like that. I remember him winning at Ascot and Cheltenham and if i get time later i will have a look and see if i can dig out some videos. Down the field in fifth that day was Last Suspect. His big day was still to come.

    Right, thats todays version of a trip down memory lane over. Decs are in at 11.00 and i need another cuppa.
    If this post has stirred any memories, dont be shy, let us know them.

    Have a good day all,

    QC
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 13-02-2018 at 11:54.

  19. #1338
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,373
    I can’t remember what I backed on Saturday.

  20. #1339
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,825


    Obviously a lot of people will remember the ones they backed that won them a fair few quid or ones that came in at a whopping price. But also i would think there are many like myself who can remember the ones that got away as well.
    I mentioned Bongo Fury finishing 2nd to Essex in the Schweppes at 50/1 a while back and in the same piece i also mentioned Rooster Booster getting collared by Geos. Then theres Wayward Lad in the Gold Cup, Pendil, also in the Gold Cup, Attaglance in the novices handicap chase at the festival a few years ago when Brian Hughes didnt know whether to challenge up the inner or round the outer and he got beat half a length by Present View. One of the worst ones i can remember was Steeple Jack at Towcester many years ago. I was very sweet on it that day and was on at 14's. I told a few mates about it and they were on as well. It must have been half a furlong clear going to the last..................and you all know what came next That was about 25 years ago yet its still there in my mind and i still havent forgiven Rodi Greene.
    There are many more, I could go on..............but i'm not !

  21. #1340
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post


    Obviously a lot of people will remember the ones they backed that won them a fair few quid or ones that came in at a whopping price. But also i would think there are many like myself who can remember the ones that got away as well.
    I mentioned Bongo Fury finishing 2nd to Essex in the Schweppes at 50/1 a while back and in the same piece i also mentioned Rooster Booster getting collared by Geos. Then theres Wayward Lad in the Gold Cup, Pendil, also in the Gold Cup, Attaglance in the novices handicap chase at the festival a few years ago when Brian Hughes didnt know whether to challenge up the inner or round the outer and he got beat half a length by Present View. One of the worst ones i can remember was Steeple Jack at Towcester many years ago. I was very sweet on it that day and was on at 14's. I told a few mates about it and they were on as well. It must have been half a furlong clear going to the last..................and you all know what came next That was about 25 years ago yet its still there in my mind and i still havent forgiven Rodi Greene.
    There are many more, I could go on..............but i'm not !


    Feck it i know who win that race this year to make up for it.
    Twitter Longshotvalue www.longshotvalue.com Pricewise challange

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •