Page 411 of 425 FirstFirst ... 401409410411412413421 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,220 of 8485

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Degenerate Member
    Forgot to add. He didnt reply to my return email and he hasnt replied to my third one as well.

Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Forgot to add. He didnt reply to my return email and he hasnt replied to my third one as well.
    Give him time hes probably still reading it

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petemarik View Post
    Give him time hes probably still reading it

That is funny, like it mate.

Registered Member
    you could stuff two jumbo sausage rolls down your trousers

if the security lady decides to frisk you - she is 2/7 to slip you her phone number

Degenerate Member
    The tracks do nothing to encourage people to go !!! End of !!

I meet up with my mates a couple of times a week and every one of them likes a bet. A couple of them have their bets in the morning and then watch them later and the others sit with their phones and laptops and are punting race to race. But the sad fact is that four of them havent been to the races since 2019 and the other one went once this year and said never again. And these are racing fans who love watching the racing. But they wont go because it is just too expensive. The one lad who did go said he made the mistake of not having something to eat before he went so he ended up buying fish and chips and then had two pints. But that cost him over 20 and it was 15 to get in. He said he put 20 in the petrol tank before he went so that is 55 spent before he has had a bet.
    A few weeks ago we went to Catterick on the Wednesday, Thirsk on the Friday and Uttoxeter on the Sunday. It cost us a total of 91.50 entrance money (the odd 1.50 was 2 x 75p admin charges that Thirsk put on ) and we put 90 in the petrol tank over the course of those few days. So that is over 180 before we have had some food, a drink or a bet !
    And lets be realistic, that is beyond the reach of a lot of people. Something drastic has to be done. And having jockeys in different coloured tops on a Thursday night is not the answer. Only a complete f***ing moron would think that.

Its now getting to the point where my patience with the sport and a lot of enjoyment is going. And that is sad. At this moment in time it wouldnt bother me if i never went racing again. And that is very sad. And if i feel this way, i bet there are plenty like me who feel the same. And who is going to go racing if we regulars dont ??????

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    you could stuff two jumbo sausage rolls down your trousers

if the security lady decides to frisk you - she is 2/7 to slip you her phone number
    That would make THREE jumbo sausages down there then !!!!

i wish.

Registered Member
    I was at Musselburgh on Friday night past and as i mentioned to qc before it was 25 entrance fee.To make matters worse you had to sit at a table outside and wait about half hour for any service.When you did get served it was another half hour before receiving your order at a disgusting price.Waste of an evening if you ask me.Also only 3 bookies on course.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willor View Post
    I was at Musselburgh on Friday night past and as i mentioned to qc before it was 25 entrance fee.To make matters worse you had to sit at a table outside and wait about half hour for any service.When you did get served it was another half hour before receiving your order at a disgusting price.Waste of an evening if you ask me.Also only 3 bookies on course.
    Disgraceful. If that had been a pub or a restaurant you had been in i would wager that you would get up and go elsewhere. I know i would. But who do these courses cater for ? It definitely isnt proper racegoers. Its just the once a year pub trippers. Or the pissed up crowds that turn up for "Ladies night" or "Gentlemens evenings". Or some have family fun days.
    But do you see any of those people who attend those events back at the track at a later date ? Of course you dont. But i know plenty of regular racegoers who avoid those dates mainly because admission charges are raised and the track is full of pissed up nutters making nuisances of themselves and who spoil the fun for everyone else. But the track wants those regulars to turn up all the other meetings and in the cold and wet weather. They have some strange ways of going about things.
    So who do the racecourses actually cater for ?

Registered Member
    I was with 4 other regular race goers and we all agreed we will not go back to Musselburgh.I would imagine there were many more of the same opinion going by the groans i heard going on.Quite worrying for the sport i love.

Degenerate Member
    I was with 4 other regular race goers and we all agreed we will not go back to Musselburgh.I would imagine there were many more of the same opinion going by the groans i heard going on.Quite worrying for the sport i love.
    It is worrying mate. On a similar note, we have said we are not going back to Catterick and we are finished with Redcar also.
    I just cant understand the thinking of racecourse execs. The glory days of massive crowds are long gone, never to return. Something drastic needs to be done to keep hold of the racegoers we still have. But i wouldnt have any confidence in the elitist, snobby clowns in charge of the tracks having any idea what !

Registered Member
    I agree mate.Will try a couple of other courses in near future.Probably Hamilton or Ayr but dont hold out much hope.

Degenerate Member
    I agree mate.Will try a couple of other courses in near future.Probably Hamilton or Ayr but dont hold out much hope.
    Hamilton i have always found nice. Ayr serves a purpose but you will always get more bad reports than good. Perth is lovely as well but is a bit of a hike for a Sassenach like me and i have enjoyed Kelso every time i have been there.

Registered Member
    Been to Kelso many times and it is a lovely course

Degenerate Member
    Been to Kelso many times and it is a lovely course
    I agree. Its just a lovely, friendly place. I remember being there on the Sunday that Sea The Stars won the Arc at Longchamp and we had took my old man with us. We were upstairs in the big room where the big raging fire was and it was packed. And i think everyone in there had backed Sea The Stars.The cheering nearly took the roof off.

Hexham is just as nice. A lovely scenic track although you do need decent weather. I've been there on some horrible days and it isnt really fun. But when the sun is shining there are not many better places to be.

While we are on about tracks, i had to laugh at something Cartmel put out for each meeting. We have knocked the place on the head for now because they are just pricing themselves out of it. They are currently charging 25 to get in although it was dearer for the first couple of meetings this season.
    But on the pricing page they sell alloted spaces next to the rail for you to park your car on the Priory side. And it is 60 just for the space. That doesnt include entrance. So its another 100 if there are four of you in the car. But in the description they say "you will get excellent views of all the action".
    Now all of you who have been to Cartmel know full well that no matter where you stand you will never get to see any more than a couple of hundred yards or so. And for those who are parked at the bottom bend (seven acres) or at the top of the track near the grammar school, you wont even see that. So i think its stretching it a bit to say you will get excellent views of all the action.

I've had a right old bloody moan today.

Registered Member
    MikMak 7/2 Bet365

16. 1 Thanks from:
    Onlyhuman

Degenerate Member
    As I’ve said on here before , Doncaster put their prices up after the refurb many years ago and we’re far too expensive then, yet here we are 20 years later or whatever and they are still going strong and ripping people off.

I was at York the other week and it was 28 to get in and 6.50 a pint and there were 30,000 people there .

I think the lesson to learn here is, it’s really not your job to worry about how the racecourse hospitality is going to survive . People who think it’s too expensive don’t have to go. If you think racecourses care about real racing enthusiasts then you must have been in a coma for 15 years. Why would they want a couple coming in and buying a couple of coffees and a slice of cake apiece when they can have a hen party of a dozen that will rock up to see Rick Ashley and put a grand over the bar .

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punjabipal View Post
    MikMak 7/2 Bet365
    It was, wasnt it.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    As I’ve said on here before , Doncaster put their prices up after the refurb many years ago and we’re far too expensive then, yet here we are 20 years later or whatever and they are still going strong and ripping people off.

I was at York the other week and it was 28 to get in and 6.50 a pint and there were 30,000 people there .

I think the lesson to learn here is, it’s really not your job to worry about how the racecourse hospitality is going to survive . People who think it’s too expensive don’t have to go. If you think racecourses care about real racing enthusiasts then you must have been in a coma for 15 years. Why would they want a couple coming in and buying a couple of coffees and a slice of cake apiece when they can have a hen party of a dozen that will rock up to see Rick Ashley and put a grand over the bar .
    I totally agree that its not my job to worry but then again, if nobody worried about anything we would all be in a right old mess. Yes we have been thru this before and i would not have brought it up again if it wasnt for the fact that the missus had her bag searched upon entry and then when i queried it with the RCA they lied to me and said it was for security. Which is complete nonsense !!!!!!!

I doubt there were 30,000 there that day but yes it will have been a big crowd. And as for the 6.50 a pint price, you have to ask WHY they were charging 6.50. And the answer is greed because they like ripping people off when they are in the confines of the track. But that doesnt really encourage people to go back, does it ?!?!

And they really have to decide what they actually want. Do they want an open air pub with music on with a bit of racing on in the background as a side show. Sometimes i think some of them would like that. Or at least their shareholders would. But thats ok for June, July and August. I have checked and i cant see Rick Astley down for Doncaster in December and UB40 are definitely not at Ascot in January. Even worse, i was fully expecting Elvis to do Sedgefield again in February but it has been cancelled for some strange reason.
    So who is going to turn up in those months ???? Ah yes, the poor old regular racegoer who gets shit on for most of the year and who gets ripped off and treated with total disrespect and is expected to put up with it.
    Well this kiddie here is getting pissed right off with it and i (we) will be voting with our feet from now on. We had mentioned going to Beverley on Thursday but that is now out. And we have never been to Bangor and we did discuss it for next Monday but that is a non starter now.

They are pissing off the wrong people and it will tell in time. Attendance figures are not a pretty sight and they are not going to get any better anytime soon. Tracks will close in time. Maybe not next year or even the year after. But tracks will go !

And finally, this racing league seems to be a rip roaring success when you take into consideration that William Hills are giving away 2,000 free tickets for the next few meetings.
    Oh dear.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 09-08-2021 at 13:18.

Degenerate Member
    If you want another example of why racecourses have not got a f***ing clue how to go on and how they need to get their priorities in order, just have a look at the story on the RP website by Chris Cook.
    Its about facilities for jockeys, or more to the point, LACK of them. Twenty six tracks have only one shower for female jocks, thirteen tracks have just two showers for the male riders. Seven tracks dont have separate rooms for jocks to eat or drink or chat or whatever. The list of problems goes on.
    This is f***ing 2021 for crying out loud !!!!!

They can organise Prosecco nights and fit in Champagne lawns etc but they cant offer the basic of basic needs for the stars of the show !! That is just f***ing mental !!!!!!
    Its time all these morons in charge of racecourses were put out to grass and and "REAL" or "NORMAL" folk given the jobs. You all know what i mean by real and normal. No more of this Quentin Farqhuarson and his titled wife or Colonel Major Brigadier Mainwaring running the show. Lets get people in charge who live in the real world and know the cost of things and how much the man on the street actually has to spend in this day and age of low hours contracts and minimum wage jobs all over the place. They just havent got a clue and they seem to think that we all eat lobster and drink champagne all f***ing day long.
    It reminds me of my working days and the times i used to go to the tracks and meet and greet the invited punters into the private box for the day. I didnt do it very often, it wasnt my scene and i would try and get out of it if i could. But i remember the first time i done it. I got to the track early, with the missus in tow, and was invited up to the course chairmans office. It was only about 11.0 but after the shaking of hands and asking each other how we all were, the first thing he said to me was "would you like a glass of champagne" ? To which i replied no but i said i could murder a cup of tea. Then another bloke, the vice chairman i think, came along and showed me round the judges box and then he asked me if i wanted a glass of champagne. It was now about 11.20. I declined again and was then taken to our box where i was offered another glass as soon as i walked in. To cut this short, i was offered five glasses of champagne before 12.30. I actually had a tea and a coffee.
    But that is how they go on. Ask anyone who has hosted a box before. Champagne and wine from start to finish. Its obscene ! And when i went back to the chairmans office later, there was a large buffet spread out on his desk and whichever expensive food you can think of, it was on that desk.

And yet in 2021, jockeys struggle to get a shower and have nowhere to sit for a bit of peace and quiet.

Degenerate Member
    They will make more money pandering to the concert goers and pissheads than they will out of the dinosaurs that are the racing purists .Just like pubs will make more out of the youngsters drinking shots and jaegerbombs than they ever will selling old men pints of mild and there will never be a shortage of teenagers whereas the old mild drinkers are a dying breed.

Times move on

Thread Information