Page 410 of 439 FirstFirst ... 400408409410411412420 ... LastLast
Results 8,181 to 8,200 of 8770

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Degenerate Member
    Our friend Elysian Flame goes in the first and must have every chance. And at much bigger prices i could see both Seinesational and Cleonte both running well and being of interest with the extra places about.

I've got Red Giant down for the Durham National at Sedgefield in the autumn and he is out on Sunday at Market Rasen in his quest (hopefully) to get his mark further down for that day.

Degenerate Member
    The BHA have tweeted out a list of tonights non runners. I've tweeted back asking them if they could possibly give me a list of tonights non triers.

I'm not expecting a reply.

I was bored.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 30-07-2021 at 17:11.

3. 1 Thanks from:
    fridge

Degenerate Member
    Mrs Crossett likes one tomorrow (nothing to do with me) and she has asked (ordered) me to put it on here.

Second race Goodwood - George Bowen. 25/1 Slybet 7 places and 28/1 with a few other firms 6 places.

5. 1 Thanks from:
    Gamblor

Degenerate Member
    Cheers Mrs C.

I'm on.

How about the market movement on this one...

25/1 > 18/1 > 40/1 > 28/1
    Last edited by Gamblor; 30-07-2021 at 21:16.

Degenerate Member
    Money for Haslam's horse in the lucky last race at Musselburgh...

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    Money for Haslam's horse in the lucky last race at Musselburgh...
    16/1 when I posted that and ended up being 40/1 minutes later!

Mental.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    Cheers Mrs C.

I'm on.

How about the market movement on this one...

25/1 > 18/1 > 40/1 > 28/1
    Its all settled down now. Its 25's and 28's nearly everywhere.
    To be honest, i didnt even know it was running. I didnt look at the race or any other race at Goodwood. Too tricky and too many runners for my liking. I had to do them in my working days. And when i was younger, the two big sprints would have been the first two races i looked at .
    She did say she doesnt really like Jamie Spencer but she's hoping for one of his better rides.

Degenerate Member
    I know many of you use trackers to keep a list of horses you have noted and some of you will no doubt have Qawamees on it now after its performance last night. I would imagine there are plenty of punters who will feel aggrieved () over its run especially as it was well backed late on and looked as though it was "expected". But it was an amateur riders race and that has to be taken into consideration before venting your spleen. I know thats no consolation to punters but it is a fact. The lass on top had it too far back in what was a crawl for the first couple of furlongs and was still around 12L behind with three to run and still 10L behind inside the final two furlongs. And it ended up being beaten a length and a half.
    Spittin Mick did have it entered in three races on Monday, one at Ripon and two at the lady riders night meeting at Carlisle but has pulled it out of all three. He will be on a mission to get another win out of this horse but not necessarily next time out. Its turn will come.
    And speaking of the Ripon race on Monday, Tim Easterby has Contrebasse running and he has won the last three renewals of this race with Stormin Tom. I havent done the race yet but even at first glance i can see that Contrebasse would merit serious consideration.

Degenerate Member
    And while i am on about ill judged rides, some of you may have backed War At Sea at Perth on Wednesday and feel a bit hard done by. I am not one for slagging jockeys off because I know the good ones, i know the bad ones and i know the "dubious" ones and i pay my money and i take my chance. But sometimes you sit back after a race and think "if only......."
    It wasnt Johnathan Bewleys finest moment and to have the horse last but one and at least twelve lengths off the front as they turned into the home straight and to be only beaten a fast diminishing length was a bit of a bugger. But thats racing as they say.
    It cost me a four figure sum but it has been a very good week and i shall just put it down to experience. Again, it will win a race but maybe not next time.

12. 1 Thanks from:
    petemarik

Degenerate Member
    A couple more to note for future races and two of them ran in the same race at Stratford the other day.
    The first is Aye Aye Charlie and this is a certain future winner ! The horse hasnt won since successful at Kelso in November of 2018 and that was off a mark of 145. It was trained by Fergal O'Brien in those days but is now with Christian Williams and nobody can tell me that he wont get this horse winning again. The horse led for a long way in the Stratford race before fading out of it from the home turn. It raced off a mark of 110 and will no doubt come down a few more pounds when the revised marks come out on Tuesday. It stays well and apart from heavy ground, seems to go well on most surfaces.
    A certain future winner !!!!!

Back in that field was Wicked Willy. He is a bit of a frustrating sort but has got the ability to win again when conditions suit. And i think one of those conditions has to be going right handed. The horse has won five times and all five wins have been right handed. He has also finished second three times and third five times going that way round. He hasnt won since March 2019 and he was put up to a mark of 132 for that win. It has taken a while for his mark to come down but it is finally getting there and he was down to 116 when he ran the other day. He is another who should come down a few pounds more come Tuesday and he is another to keep an eye on for when the time is right.

14. 2 Thanks from:
    Gamblor, petemarik

Registered Member
    did you review the contrabasse race?

Registered Member
    backed it anyway 8/1 / as much the trainer after Quixalls post - but horse has reasonable form - appears to be some money for it

Registered Member
    looked like it was trying to me
    would not be touching it again

Registered Member
    MikMak just won at Ponty.....15/2
    Hope you were on after its last run !

Degenerate Member
    After it's last run I had decided I wasn't going to back it again but then when I saw it was 10/1 this morning I had a small bet on it.

20. 1 Thanks from:
    punjabipal

Registered Member
    had him doubled with quoteline direct of course and when that failed had him singly

but not what I would normally have on one that I really fancied

thats the problem with these

you can go broke backing them while trying to second guess when the handbrake will be off

anyway at least i caught it Good Luck

22. 1 Thanks from:
    punjabipal

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    had him doubled with quoteline direct of course and when that failed had him singly

but not what I would normally have on one that I really fancied

thats the problem with these

you can go broke backing them while trying to second guess when the handbrake will be off

anyway at least i caught it Good Luck
    If they are a problem, dont back them ! Nobody is forcing you too. But if you put the time and effort into studying and watching endless replays, believe me, it does pay off.
    If you had backed it on its three runs since i said that it was going to win soon, you would be in profit. And thats what this game is all about !
    Even for just a tenner it would be fine. You would have staked 30 and picked up 85. I cant see anything wrong with that.
    But its not about backing them on every run. I dont. And you know as well as most people on here that it has cost me many times over. I have timed many right and had some lovely prices and some hefty pay days. But i have had days when i have called it wrong and the horse (and trainer) have just laughed at me. I got the day wrong and there is nobody else to blame but me. We all have to take responsibility for our own actions. But its the same as trackers. I have said before on here that a lot of people put a horse in their trackers and just back them every time after that. And that is madness. If a horse caught my eye in a 2m h'cap hurdle on soft going and i put it on my (very long) list and then its next run was in a two and a half mile novice chase on good to firm, why on earth would i back it ????? Its a totally different type of event on different ground. I would watch it but that is all. There is no way on earth i would back it just because it is in my tracker.
    Its all about using your judgement and then making the call.

Mikmak is entered at Ripon on Monday and if it runs it wins. It is in a far easier race than it won the other day at Ponty with that one being a class 4, 0-80 and Mondays race is a class 6, 0-60. A bit of rain wouldnt go amiss but the horse has nothing to fear from any other in the race.
    Decs are out in an hour or so.

24. 4 Thanks from:
    fridge, Gamblor, Nipper, Onlyhuman

Degenerate Member
    Some of you may have seen that i had a right old ding dong with Dave Yates on twitter the other day. The bloke is a prat and i told him what i thought.

And to follow that, some of you may also have noticed that Redcar Racecourse have now blocked me from replying to their twitter posts. You can all imagine how distraught i am about it.

26. 2 Thanks from:
    fridge, Gamblor

Degenerate Member
    No doubt some of you will have checked and seen that the horse is running on Monday. It should not be beaten after winning at Ponty in an event two grades higher. And if it does win it will not have an extra penalty for winning because Mondays race is an apprentice race and that all makes sense when you consider that the horse is entered in a class 6 race at Beverley on Thursday and a class 4 race at Thirsk on Friday.

28. 2 Thanks from:
    Gamblor, petemarik

Degenerate Member
    Here is a subject that you can all join in with and give your suggestions, ideas, opinions etc. I know i would rather listen to the views of people on here than to the claptrap, nonsense and lies i have had to put up with recently.
    It started when i wrote to the RCA (Race Course Association) a couple of weeks ago after the missus and i had been to Catterick. I asked them why the food and drink on offer at the track was so limited and massively expensive and also why the missus had her bag searched when we entered. Now we all know that racing is unfortunately one of the most snobbish and elitist sports around and many people who work in it seem to think that they are above answering to commoners like me and if they do answer then i should just accept their answer and move on because they are above me and thats all that matters. So i got a reply and was told that prices on the tracks are "competitive" and that a bag search is needed because of the day and age we live in. And of course my first thoughts after reading his reply is that he is spouting absolute f***ing nonsense, does not live in the real world and basically doesnt have a f***ing clue what he is doing and what he is talking about. But my main anger was because i do not like anybody telling me something which we both know is an absolute f***ing lie !!!!!!!
    So i replied to him to let him know my thoughts. And i got straight to the point. I opened with " Your reply about bag searches being needed in this day and age of security is absolute nonsense and you and I both know it". It is obvious to everyone why it is done and i'm afraid the woman on the gate as we entered just confirmed to me. As we went to go in she pointed to the bag the missus was carrying and said "you havent got any food in there have you" ?
    It is done solely because they want you to pay extortionate prices for vastly inferior food and drink and if you dont then tough, you can go without. But who on earth wants to pay 5.50 for a pint when the pub we called in on the way home was charging 1.86 for a pint of John Smiths and 1.99 for a pint of Magners ? Fair enough it was a Wetherspoons but it was only 2.20 for both in a pub across the road. And who wants to pay 6 for a hot dog ? Or 6.50 for a burger ? Even worse, 7 for a cheeseburger !!!
    We went to Northallerton a couple of days later on the Saturday morning while the other half did some shopping. It was farmers market day and while the missus was scurrying round the shops, i went and had a look at the food stalls and had a natter with one or two. Now Northallerton is only about 20 minutes from Catterick so any trader at the market that morning could easily do the race meetings as well. But a couple i spoke to said it was too expensive to trade there and another said he tried once but got knocked back and hasnt bothered again. The point of me asking them was that their stands were spotlessly clean and looked inviting whereas the stall at Catterick races looked miserable and far from inviting. I know we both said we wouldnt eat anything off it even it was cheaper. And pricing is what it is all about. The burger stand at the farmers market was charging 2 for a hot dog as against the 6 at the races. It was 2.50 for a burger and 3 for a cheeseburger. Now compare that to the racecourse prices. They both have rents or pitch fees to pay and all the usual overheads and the quality of food and variety at the farmers market was far superior to that of the races.
    So why the massive difference in pricing ???????
    Yes, it is a rhetorical question. And we all know the answer. GREED !!!!!!!!!!!

And then they wonder why racecourse attendance figures are poor and falling. A miserable looking burger van was their idea of a food outlet for the crowd. I asked the RCA bloke if he thought we all ate burgers and/or chips. Did he not realise that in this day and age people dont want the same shite that they were being offered since i started going racing back in the 70's. What about some Asian food, or Caribbean, organic, foodstuffs for vegans and vegetarians or just a nice, decent pie or sarnie.

My main point here is asking your views on what can be done to get punters back into going to the races. Because the people in charge and those clowns (pundits ) just havent got a clue. They seem to think that having racing on a Thursday night with jockeys wearing different coloured tops is the way forward and people will soon start flocking back ???? Are these people for f***ing real !!!!

So, in a nutshell. Do you sit in the comfort of your own home and watch all the racing on tv and eat and drink what you want, when you want, at a reasonable cost and not have the bother and cost of travelling to the tracks ?
    Or do you pay around 15 to enter , then have your bags searched to see if you have any food because they only want you to eat their vastly overpriced food and drink their ridiculously priced beers and spirits and then have to travel all the way home again in all weathers and have to foot the cost of all the travelling as well !!!!!

Tough decision eh ???

Thread Information