Page 256 of 266 FirstFirst ... 246254255256257258 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,120 of 5301

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Registered Member
    Enough of that negative stuff - I think Paul Carberry was the best jump jockey I have seen - seemed to be in total harmony with the horse - Timmy Murphy had a similar style.

I always admired Alan Munro on the flat.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    Enough of that negative stuff - I think Paul Carberry was the best jump jockey I have seen - seemed to be in total harmony with the horse - Timmy Murphy had a similar style.

I always admired Alan Munro on the flat.
    munro is top class I think he might still be riding. On the flat the Kentucky kid and cash asmussen were 2 of the best that I have seen but deffo the best that I have seen would be God ie kieren Fallon.

On the jumps graham bradley and Steve Smith Eccles were top class. Out of the current crop Davy Russell would be well clear of th3 rest IMO.

Degenerate Member
    I think i heard that Alan Munro is now riding in South Korea. Racing TV are showing flat and jump races from many moons ago and it showed Generous winning his Derby and i'm sure i heard the bloke say that he is over there now.

For me, dear old Lester was top dog when i started punting and he was the master. Cauthen was up there with the best after a shaky first couple of months where i found that he thought he was still in America and was kicking for home as soon as he straightened up for home. Not ideal at York or Newbury or Newcastle etc. I was always a big Pat Eddery fan as well.

Over jumps, Francome and Dunwoody got the job done and were stylish with it but my favourite jump jockey of all time has to be Jonjo ! If you had him on your side in a driving finish you knew you were on your way to the payout. I remember him getting stuck into horses in a finish and he would have made AP look like Mary Poppins. But i dread to think how many bans he would pick up in this era. He would definitely be banned for more days than he actually rode.

Degenerate Member
    Just heard that Sir Micky's Becky The Thatcher has died from colic.
    She was a game little mare and i think did a few on here a good turn or two.

Degenerate Member
    I only ever saw Lester at the end of his riding career(my old man wouldn't hear a bad word against him!) and he wasn't great at that stage as he rode well passed his best. His ride on teenoso was excellent tho. I could never understand the hoopla about his ride on royal academy in the breeders cup, if anything it was a very bad ride but he got the right result a bit like Queally on Frankel in the guineas!

I always seem to remember francome(slippery bottom) falling off horses! When did Jonjo finish riding? I don't seem to remember him that much. I saw the rerun of dawn run winning there recently in that brilliant gold cup. Another jockey that I used to like was Tommy carmody.

Degenerate Member
    If i remember rightly, Jonjo finished riding in the same year that he rode Dawn Run to victory in the Gold Cup which was 1986. He was told he had cancer just a few months later.

He was all you wanted in a jockey. When you saw him get stuck in you were glad he was on yours and not one of the others. Its strange how certain races stick in your mind but i remember jumping in a car with three mates and we drove up to Teesside Park for a quiet afternoon out. There was a handicap hurdle and Jonjo was riding a horse called Katmandu for Ted Carter and the four of us were on him. But coming to the last, the late Ridley Lamb cruised up on the outside on the favourite, a horse called Igloo Fire, and in this day and age he would have touched at least 1/20 in running. He was cantering and took a slight lead as they jumped the last and quickly went a half length and possibly more in front. We were stood by the rail and could hear Jonjo shouting and screaming at the horse as he was really getting stuck into it. And as the line approached, Katmandu found that little bit extra and got up and won by a short head. What a ride !!!!
    We've all seen some great rides over the years, AP on Wichita Lineman always seems to be shown, but this was something else. I wouldnt have blamed anybody for throwing their slips away on the run in but Jonjo did the biz and its a ride i have never forgotten.

Registered Member
    Fairyhouse and Punchestown cancelled.

Degenerate Member
    And heres me thinking it was just recreational punters on here !
    I've been doing a lot of reading during this break and have got thru two books already. They are books i've read before but i dont mind reading some of them again. I've just finished reading "The Art Of Legging" again and spotted something that made me laugh.
    Back in the 1920's, a member of the well known Nosell family went to Epsom and asked for eight shillings at 100/8. On counting his money, he realised he only had seven shillings and sixpence but because he was known, he was allowed to owe the other sixpence. The horse won and he went on a roll that day and ended up winning 300. A decent wedge in those days. Rather than chance getting mugged or worse when making his way off Epsom Hill, he hid himself away and stayed the night on the course. He later became a regular racegoer and ended up being a professional gambler.

And his name was.........................Clancy
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 01-04-2020 at 20:44.

Degenerate Member
    For those who havent read it or have never heard of it, The Art Of Legging is about the theory and practice of bookmaking from its origins right thru to modern day. It gets a bit deep at the end but well worth a read.

Its on the third shelf from the top if someone wants to come and borrow it.

One part did make me laugh out loud and my thoughts turned to betting today. I'll type out the few lines that tickled me.

"The Silver Ring Bookmakers were regarded as the lower extreme of the established layers, but the betting done outside was miniscule with that done in the ring. Before World War Two, a 20 bet would have been enough to send a shudder thru many a Silver Ring firm" !

BEFORE World War Two !!!!!!!!! F*** me, a 20 bet THESE days has the firms shitting themselves and you will almost certainly be knocked back to 1.38 !!!!!!!

Registered Member
    Yeah - That was my grandfather Dodgy Clancy - He was always a great source of inspiration to my father Chancy Clancy.

Degenerate Member
    Gardening stint over, sarnies eaten, tea and jammie dodgers by my side.

This day many years ago was Topham Trophy day and you all know i like nothing better than to reminisce. So i've grabbed a few form books off the shelf and had a look at this day from way back when.

I'm starting in 1982 and the first race was the 2m novice hurdle won by Bright Oassis, ridden by Alan Webb for Kim Bailey. It looked a good start to the placepot that day with the first three home returned at 14's, 7's and 25's with the favourite, Al Kuwait, down the field. The winner and the second, The Foodbroker, both went on to make decent chasers but it didnt look a great bunch those two apart.
    The second race was the Topham itself and it was won by Fulke Walwyns Beacon Time who went off the 13/2 fav. Kevin Mooney was on top and they won from Keengaddy, Captain Parkhill and Yer Man.
    One of my favourite chasers of that era won the next race, the novice chase. It was Burrough Hill Lad who beat Final Argument and Gay Return. We all know Denman was known as the tank but, for me, Burrough Hill Lad was the original tank.
    It was another for Fulke Walwyn in the next when the Duke Of Devonshire's, Gay George, won the handicap hurdle. He was a decent tool and won numerous races. He went off 3/1 favourite so it was happy days for fav backers. Unplaced at the back of the field was dear old Birds Nest, still running at the age of twelve. It says in the comments that he appears to be unreliable these days. As us folk well past the age of 21 will know, he was never the most straightforward of horses but he was top class at best and its a shame that he wasnt retired before he had regressed so much.
    The Foxhunters was next and it was won by Lone Soldier at 25/1 ridden by Peter Greenall, later to become Lord Daresbury. The 6/4 fav, Rolls Rambler was second with Gayle Warning back in third.
    And to finish off the day it was the two and a half mile chase which was won by Polars Laddie at 33/1, ridden by Alan Dickman. The enigmatic and bloody frustrating Little Bay was second and the 5/2 fav, Braven, was third.
    Little Bay was a brilliant two mile chaser who was just a couple of pounds short of being top class. He won about twenty races all told but he had to be put in front right on the line and a few races were lost when he hit the front too soon. He had a mind of his own at times but he was a very good chaser when he put his mind to it.
    That was a cracking handicap to finish the day with the likes of Direct Line, Chinrullah and Stopped further down the field.
    Stopped was the horse that got Francome into trouble along with John Banks but for those who dont know the story, i'll keep it for another day.

Another year to follow soon.

Degenerate Member
    Onto 1986 now for a few reasons. First of all i remember backing the big race winner , but also because one of the biggest owner/punters of all time had a couple of winners this day and i would love to have seen his bets for that day.
    The first race was won by I Bin Zaidoon owned by the one and only Terry Ramsden. Most of you will know about him but if you dont, look up his story and have a read.
    I Bin Zaidoon beat the "Supreme" winner, River Ceiriog at the very rewarding odds of 14/1. Back in third was Ginger McCains Honeygrove Banker. I cant believe he will have left it go unbacked and all i will say is that i wouldnt have liked to have been the layer.
    The second race was the placepot buster with the outsider of four, Beau Ranger, coming home a length and a half in front of Wayward Lad with Very Promising a distance back in third. Favourite backers knew their fate very early when Dawn Run fell at the first. The winner was returned at 40/1.The winner was trained by John Thorne in those days but later moved to Martin Pipe. He definitely wouldnt have gone off at 40's if Pipe had trained him then.
    The third race was the 2m 5f handicap hurdle and that went to the Graham McCourt ridden Ishkomann, trained by John Spearing. The SP of the first three was 11's, 33's and 7's making it another cracking placepot leg.
    The Topham was next and it was won by Glenrue for Terry Casey and ridden by Richard Dunwoody. Back in second was a horse mentioned in the previous write up, Bright Oassis. The third that day was Run To Me and fourth was Preben Fur. The winner was returned at 20/1 which was probably a big help (and a relief) for me because i'm almost certain i got stuck into Wayward Lad in the second race.
    The novice chase was next and that resulted in a win for the Jenny Pitman trained Stearsby. That made it two winners on the day for Terry Ramsden. It went off the 11/4 second fav and i do seem to recall there were a few tales going about the next day about exactly how much he had on it. If i remember rightly there was talk of him winning a million on that race. It only just got home though with the Gordon Richards trained The Langholm Dyer chasing him home and only beaten half a length. The favourite, Strands Of Gold was third.
    And finally, the two and a half mile handicap chase at the end of the card was won by that prolific winner, Fifty Dollars More. He was owned by one of the first "sheikhs" to get involved in British racing, Sheikh Ali Abu Khamsin. Some of you may remember his famous red colours with the black chevrons. The winner from four years previous and mentioned on here earlier, Polars Laddie, was second and The County Stone was third. The SP's were 7/1, 33/1 and 6/1 and yet another fav unplaced. Needless to say, the jackpot was not won and the placepot paid 4.317. 75.

Time for a coffee, i may be back with more later.

Registered Member
    The horse that I remember above is Chinrullah - Trained by the legendary Micko.

Here is a good read:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rac...end/343122/amp
    Last edited by clancy; 02-04-2020 at 20:37.

Degenerate Member
    Next up is 1997 and i can see from the results that i'm going to have a rant.
    The opening race was won by Midnight Legend with Dicky Johnson on top and trained by David Nicholson. He got home by 3L from the favourite, Sharpical in second and High In The Clouds was third. I noticed that one of the biggest rogues in racing at the time was sixth and that was Green Green Desert. He had so much ability but only occasionally wanted to use it.
    The second race was the Martell Cup and that was won by that good chaser, Barton Bank. It was the second winner of the day for "The Duke" but this time David Walsh was the jock. Pulled up in that race was the favourite, One Man, ridden by Richard Dunwoody.
    Now for my rant. You all know i despise "tipsters" (con men) and their likes. I also hate the bullshitters that this game attracts, the ones who go about saying they have had "the word" or have had "the nod" or have got info straight from the track or they know a source etc etc etc. Its all shite and they just want to feel as they know more than anyone else when in fact they are just clueless morons. Well i had one who used to come in my shop and he was forever telling the lads he'd had a call from his mate at the track or another mate at the stables. But the f***ing moron couldnt put up a winner to save his life. The regulars soon cottoned on to what he was about and in the end used to tell him to sling his hook. Or words to that effect. Anyway, he came in early one morning and muggins here made him a cuppa. And he started telling me how much him and his mates had won a couple of years earlier by tipping off a bookie about what was going to happen in the King George. He said they knew that Adrian Maguire was going to take a dive from the horse and that they had told him to lay as much of Barton Bank as they could. Now there are not many times that i am stuck for words, as most of you on here will know, but i just stood their, gob wide open unable to say anything. I couldnt believe what i was hearing. Did he think i had just landed on the last banana boat or what ?!?! There were a couple of lads in the shop at the time and they stood there in stunned silence as well listening to him. For those who dont know what happened, Barton Bank was fav for the 1994 King George on Boxing Day and was all over the winner coming to the last when he absolutely walked thru the fence and gave the jock no chance of staying on board. And apparently it was a set up !!
    What a idiot.
    Beware of those "in the know"
    The next race was the novice chase and Squire Silk came out on top for Andy Turnell with Jamie Osborne riding. That good former hurdler, Oh So Risky was second and Sublime Fellow was third.
    The Topham came up next and that was won by Bells Life at 14/1. In second was Yeoman Warrior with one of the joint favourites, Kadi, in third and Aly Daley was fourth. That winner was trained by Phillip Hobbs with Glen Tormey doing the steering.
    The four year old hurdle was won by Quakers Field for Gary Moore with Dean Gallagher who went off at 8/1 and came home well clear of Far Dawn and Circus Star.
    Bitofamixup won the next, the novice hunter chase and the finale was the 3m handicap hurdle and that went to Escartefigue, the 6/1 favourite, who will have sent punters home happy. He was a fair tool in his day and shouldered top weight here and won by 3L from Big Strand and Freddie Muck. That was yet another winner that day for David Nicholson.

"Took a dive" ????????

Registered Member
    It’s always tough when a jockey loses a ride

https://i.imgur.com/xcF9uBl.jpg

Registered Member
    On Mathematics and the Science of Gambling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=658xlubwnDc

Registered Member
    ATTORNEY: What was the first thing your husband said to you that morning?

WITNESS: He said:

'Where am I, Cathy?'

ATTORNEY: And why did that upset you?

WITNESS: My name is Susan!

Registered Member
    If they were as good on the streets at staying at home as they are on this forum Covid would be fucked.

Degenerate Member

Suck it up mate, there's many a time i feel as though i'm talking to myself on here.

Thread Information