Page 223 of 227 FirstFirst ... 213221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,460 of 4538

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Degenerate Member
    QC quote - 1.30 Kempton

Mercian Prince has a first time visor on in an attempt to win this race for the third year in a row. He was an ok second in a novice hurdle at Catterick last time out and that should have put him spot on for this. Sammy Bill will be favourite courtesy of his last two wins (one over C/D) but he has been raised a massive 25lb for that and that does leave him vulnerable. Erick Le Rouge and Cap St Vincent (11lb better off with Sammy Bill for eight and a half lengths) are both more than capable of making the frame.

Another no bet race though.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jombo View Post
    hahahahaha can you mention any more in the race! at least you have giving a possible winner!
    ice cool champs must have a fair enough chance too in this.

Degenerate Member
    QC quote - 3.15 Kempton

Not a race to get heavily involved in with nothing standing out. Phillip Hobbs has finally given in and sent War Sound over three miles. That might be the making of him but at the age of eleven, its a bit late to be finding out. Walt can go well along with King Of Realms but it was one of those races that as soon as i had finished it, i wished i hadnt started it.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jombo View Post
    hahahahaha can you mention any more in the race! at least you have giving a possible winner!
    Your wish is my command !

Valadom.

p.s. no bet though.

Degenerate Member
    I'm staring Sunday's soon. Three nice races at Kelso and Jessica Harrington has sent one over. Sir Micky has sent some as well and hopefully something will jump out.

Kelso 12.50, 2.30 and 3.00

Degenerate Member
    No bets Saturday but a very interesting card at Kelso on Sunday.

Good luck tomorrow lads.

Degenerate Member
    Good morning all, bright and early (and very windy) and a cuppa in hand.

Going back to these trainer quotes. I got a call last night from an ex colleague who asked me if i remembered the quotes we used to get on the bottom of the tissue prices sheet from around 15 or 20 years ago. Some of you who were in the industry around that time might recall them. I do remember having a few words with the gaffer and other people about them although it wasnt just me to be fair. They would list maybe eight or ten horses at the bottom of the page and alongside say things like "moving nicely at home" or "went well with two companions" or progressing well" etc etc etc.
    But in plain English please, what the f*** do those statements mean ????
    They used to mean Jack Shit to me and a few other colleagues. The tissues were obviously a guide only and meant more from the point that many firms got the same tissues so we knew more or less what they would be going. So thats when the opinions came in and we could start and go bigger the ones we wanted to get.
    But, sadly, those days are long gone. Opinions very much frowned upon now and the tracking bot is king.

How sad.

But on a happier note, i'm doing the tea tonight and its a Chorizo pasta bake .
    You're all welcome but bring your own plates and cutlery.

Degenerate Member
    I have a schoolboy question for you jumps experts. I've always preferred the flat to the jumps really so this is the first year that I've really started looking at hurdle horses going chasing (mostly through boredom and I can' t hang around getting bored until spring). Anyway, my question is, let's say we had a 7 year old horse that had had a dozen races over hurdles and won a couple of them and then went chasing, would you expect it to eventually achieve the same rating over fences as it did over hurdles? Obviously taking for granted that it is proficient at both. I realise that some horses are often likely to favour one over the other due to their physique, flat speed and jumping technique but if you were presented with a young horse that had won a couple over hurdles at a certain rating, then went chasing at a slightly lower rating, would you think it reasonable to take into account it's hurdle rating or would you treat it entirely as a separate formline?

I suppose the same question would apply to flat horses going hurdling in that, is there a rule of thumb you'd use to convert a horse's potential ability over hurdles or would you ignore its flat form altogether (with the obvious exception of noting the type of ground it may prefer).

Question open to everyone who has a view

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    I have a schoolboy question for you jumps experts. I've always preferred the flat to the jumps really so this is the first year that I've really started looking at hurdle horses going chasing (mostly through boredom and I can' t hang around getting bored until spring). Anyway, my question is, let's say we had a 7 year old horse that had had a dozen races over hurdles and won a couple of them and then went chasing, would you expect it to eventually achieve the same rating over fences as it did over hurdles? Obviously taking for granted that it is proficient at both. I realise that some horses are often likely to favour one over the other due to their physique, flat speed and jumping technique but if you were presented with a young horse that had won a couple over hurdles at a certain rating, then went chasing at a slightly lower rating, would you think it reasonable to take into account it's hurdle rating or would you treat it entirely as a separate formline?

I suppose the same question would apply to flat horses going hurdling in that, is there a rule of thumb you'd use to convert a horse's potential ability over hurdles or would you ignore its flat form altogether (with the obvious exception of noting the type of ground it may prefer).

Question open to everyone who has a view
    generally speaking -Hurdle/chase is roughly similar and its +40 on flat rating eg flat horse rating of 70 should have an rating of about 110 over jumps

Degenerate Member
    Thanks Jombo

Degenerate Member

Degenerate Member
    Three small field races all done and dusted for tomorrow so i may as well jot one of them down on here.

EXETER 2.30 -

I'M A STARMAN - He was fourth at Carlisle on his chasing debut last time out but was beaten 28L. The second horse that day, Cloudy Glen, has come out and won a two horse affair at Haydock very easily and the fifth horse, Randy Pike, has since come out and finished second in a Catterick chase. He has been dropped 3lb from that run. Did run two half decent hurdle races last backend.

INDIAN BRAVE - Up 1lb for his Sedgefield second last time out. The winner that day, Mah Mate Bob, was well beaten at Kelso yesterday. The trip and ground will suit but its noticeable that his best runs have all been left handed. He has raced around Exeter four times, pulling up twice and finishing well beaten on the other two occasions. To be fair, one of those races was when beaten 15L by Black Corton.

MINE'S A PINT - He will definitely come on for his reappearence run at Newbury last time out when eighth behind Defi Sacre who has hit a bit of form. He won a novice chase at Plumpton last February on good ground and his second behind Poker School, at Wincanton was also on good. He may prefer a sounder surface but he does go on this.

ON THE ROAD - This one launched little Isabel Williams into orbit at Uttoxeter last time out when going quite well at the time although there was still about a mile to go. He had made a couple of little mistakes prior to that but that is just normal for this fella. He hasnt won since winning at Sedegfield in March 2017 but is now 16lb lower. Conditions are ideal and it is worth noting that the horse is 2/2 round this track. This mark of 107, which he raced off last time, is his lowest chase mark since winning off 105 in January 2017.

ZEN MASTER - Finished second in a poor race at Fakenham last time out and has been raised 2lb for his troubles. He is 0/7 in chases and his only win came in a Market Rasen maiden hurdle back in October 2017. Trained by Charlie Mann

TUDOR'S TREASURE
    - Has got Dicky on board and this one has hopefully got over its exertions of finishing second on desperate ground at Ffos Las in December. He did win his final two starts of last season, both over this C/D off marks of 91 and 96. He goes off 102 here and conditions are fine.

LEGEND OF ZORRO - Up 5lb for his Wincanton win last time out. The ground shouldnt be a problem but he is stepping back in trip and it was a bad race that he won. His two best runs have been round Wincanton on quicker ground than he will race on here and it remains to be seen what he makes of this very stiff track.

On The Road would be my pick with the definite danger being Mine's A Pint.

Views, thoughts anyone ?
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 13-01-2020 at 17:03.

Degenerate Member
    I'm a starman would be my pick. I see its 10/1 with hills at the moment

Degenerate Member
    There once was a great two mile handicap chase that took place at Ascot in January (weather permitting) that was something to look forward to and was well worth getting stuck into when the ante post prices came out. That was of course, when we had ante post betting. This sad excuse of a format where anybody who squeals loud enough gets their money back is not REAL ante post betting. That died many years ago. But back to this race. The best of the best of the two milers took part and many Champion Chasers turned up in it and it never failed to excite. Some of the younger ones on here may have heard about some of the finishes but you could all do yourselves a favour and google the race and watch some of them. "Dessie" won it, as did Waterloo Boy, Viking Flagship, Marthas Son, Call Equiname, Well Chief, to name but six. The latter won the race at Cheltenham when the original running was abandoned. He had the likes of Flagship Uberalles, Armaturk, Cenkos, Thisthatandtother well behind. It was the highlight of January's racing.
    But then the Ascot executive, in their wisdom , decided to change it to a Grade 1 and the Victor Chandler Chase (Handicap) was no more.
    And so, since then we have had the Clarence House Chase, not sponsored by Victor Chandler because he wanted it to be a handicap and therefore pulled out. And now we get a small field, usually with something that is long odds on and therefore not a betting race, and the excitement has gone. And the only use it is to me now is that it gives me five minutes to make a cup of coffee and slice a piece of cake before the next race comes up.
    And so to this years race. We currently have a maximum field of five runners, with an odds on shot in the race, and only really two with a realistic chance of winning.

Yet another f*** up by those who think they know whats best and who think they know what they are doing when in reality they are just braindead muppets who feel the need to tinker with things that dont need tinkering with !!!!!

RANT OVER !

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Three small field races all done and dusted for tomorrow so i may as well jot one of them down on here.

EXETER 2.30 -

I'M A STARMAN - He was fourth at Carlisle on his chasing debut last time out but was beaten 28L. The second horse that day, Cloudy Glen, has come out and won a two horse affair at Haydock very easily and the fifth horse, Randy Pike, has since come out and finished second in a Catterick chase. He has been dropped 3lb from that run. Did run two half decent hurdle races last backend.

INDIAN BRAVE - Up 1lb for his Sedgefield second last time out. The winner that day, Mah Mate Bob, was well beaten at Kelso yesterday. The trip and ground will suit but its noticeable that his best runs have all been left handed. He has raced around Exeter four times, pulling up twice and finishing well beaten on the other two occasions. To be fair, one of those races was when beaten 15L by Black Corton.

MINE'S A PINT - He will definitely come on for his reappearence run at Newbury last time out when eighth behind Defi Sacre who has hit a bit of form. He won a novice chase at Plumpton last February on good ground and his second behind Poker School, at Wincanton was also on good. He may prefer a sounder surface but he does go on this.

ON THE ROAD - This one launched little Isabel Williams into orbit at Uttoxeter last time out when going quite well at the time although there was still about a mile to go. He had made a couple of little mistakes prior to that but that is just normal for this fella. He hasnt won since winning at Sedegfield in March 2017 but is now 16lb lower. Conditions are ideal and it is worth noting that the horse is 2/2 round this track. This mark of 107, which he raced off last time, is his lowest chase mark since winning off 105 in January 2017.

ZEN MASTER - Finished second in a poor race at Fakenham last time out and has been raised 2lb for his troubles. He is 0/7 in chases and his only win came in a Market Rasen maiden hurdle back in October 2017. Trained by Charlie Mann

TUDOR'S TREASURE
    - Has got Dicky on board and this one has hopefully got over its exertions of finishing second on desperate ground at Ffos Las in December. He did win his final two starts of last season, both over this C/D off marks of 91 and 96. He goes off 102 here and conditions are fine.

LEGEND OF ZORRO - Up 5lb for his Wincanton win last time out. The ground shouldnt be a problem but he is stepping back in trip and it was a bad race that he won. His two best runs have been round Wincanton on quicker ground than he will race on here and it remains to be seen what he makes of this very stiff track.

On The Road would be my pick with the definite danger being Mine's A Pint.

Views, thoughts anyone ?
    Well that was a waste of time wasnt it ! Exeter abandoned.
    I must admit that as soon as i saw the update from the clerk of the course at the track about an hour after i posted this, i reckoned it was long odds on it being off.

Not to worry, theres always tomorrow.

Registered Member
    I would have backed On The Road but a pity Exeter is abandoned.

What is the issue with Charlie Mann?

Also if you do 3 or 4 races every day - it is a shame that all that work doesn't get past your notes if you are not having a bet - I mean it would be great to get a 'QC Quote' type summary just for info - not even as much as you did for 2.30 Exeter above - but giving your one or two against the field - I would be willing to buy you a few cakes if you have a donate button. Cheers.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post

Also if you do 3 or 4 races every day - it is a shame that all that work doesn't get past your notes if you are not having a bet - I mean it would be great to get a 'QC Quote' type summary just for info - not even as much as you did for 2.30 Exeter above - but giving your one or two against the field - I would be willing to buy you a few cakes if you have a donate button. Cheers.

Degenerate Member
    Going back to my rant on the Victor Chandler Chase, here are the prices of the winners since they turned it into a grade 1.

1/10, 4/6, 1/2, 1/2, 7/2, 5/4, 1/5, 9/2, 4/7, 11/8.
    Not exactly working mens prices are they.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post

Charlie Mann is an upper class twit. Frankel might have ended up a maiden if he had trained him. And do you not recall him sending the wrong horse to the races on THREE occasions ? I did mention them on here a few years ago.. And in unbelievably tragic circumstances, one of the horses ran in the race and was killed.

I've dug out the link to the story from The Guardian. Its well worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...acing.gregwood

Registered Member
    17 years ago.

Don't fuck about with QC. - He never forgets ...

Thread Information