Page 151 of 181 FirstFirst ... 141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3606

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Registered Member
    Very disappointed with Boxer Beat - after last run looked like it could do it - jockey weak as piss and looked like it wanted to go on left handed course - QC normally highlights this - any comment Boss? Thanks
    Last edited by clancy; 20-05-2019 at 19:14.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    A mark he is definitely capable of winning off. He is also down in grade and has first time cheekpieces on. And i reckon a stiff two mile like this is just what he wants.
    All that said, i am not getting involved but no prizes for guessing who is.

The card at Hexham tomorrow night is just the sort i love. And i did try a few times today to talk Mrs Crossett into going but she had invited her mate and her other half round. I told her to ring them up and tell them we had the Black Death or the Bubonic Plague but she just give me one of her looks.
    They both dont know it yet but they WILL be watching Hexham races !!!!
    Best price 11/1 from 16s already. Don't know if the collapse will continue or whether it's just people assuming that tomorrow is the day.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    Very disappointed with Boxer Beat - after last run looked like it could do it - jockey weak as piss and looked like it wanted to go on left handed course - QC normally highlights this - any comment Boss? Thanks
    The horse doesnt really have a tendency to go either way normally. Possibly just feeling something today. He has run some ok races going left handed but when he was trained by Paul Flynn in Ireland he used to go well both left and right handed and used to run Galway well.
    Just bear in mind that he was a big price and ridden by a "lesser" jockey than the others. You've only lent the bookmakers the money

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    Best price 11/1 from 16s already. Don't know if the collapse will continue or whether it's just people assuming that tomorrow is the day.
    Or possibly you have got well stuck into it !!!!!

Degenerate Member
    Or possibly you have got well stuck into it !!!!!
    Yeah my five pound each way has really rocked the bookmaking community

Degenerate Member
    Yeah my five pound each way has really rocked the bookmaking community
    Four firms 9's now.

Good fun innit !

Degenerate Member
    There's a half decent card at Warwick on Wednesday including a 25k hurdle and a 30k chase.
    I'm looking forward to those decs tomorrow.

Degenerate Member
    Sir Micky has got Cornerstone Lad in at Ponty on Friday night. I did a piece on the horse a month or so ago saying that he will definitely pick up a flat race this season. He did improve over the winter over hurdles and his mark went from 129 up to 142. That means that his flat rating of 65 is a massive 77lb below his hurdles one. I would definitely keep an eye on the weather though. The horse can go on good but is much better when there is some juice in the ground. His only flat win came at the track so we know he acts round there and that is certainly a bonus.

Degenerate Member
    Dear old Cartmel returns on Saturday. There's a few nice looking races and heres hoping that most of them stand their ground and we end up with some decent size fields.
    Sir Micky has got Justforjames in the long distance chase and Aidankk's horse, Firebird Flyer, is also entered. And just to make it more interesting, Evan Williams has also entered Firebird Flyer for the long distance hurdle race as well. The horse hasnt won a race for over three years and hasnt won a hurdle race since November 2014. But there is life in the old dog still and i would love him to get his head in front once more. But the problem here is that he does love some cut in the ground and the current going description of good to firm doesnt augur well. He is also entered for Uttoxeter on Sunday and if he is going to run anywhere, it is odds on it will be there.

Some of you lot must have got stuck in last night and this morning. Spinning Scooter was 14's everywhere when i signed off but now is a general 8/1. And Valgor Du Ronceray is currently 11/2 in a couple of places, general 6's, after opening up at mostly 14's but 16/1 in one place.

I blame ONEDUNME

Degenerate Member
    All they’ve got to do now is win

Degenerate Member
    All they’ve got to do now is win
    Aye. Getting the price is the easy part. Its getting the big buggers to cross the line in front thats the hard bit.
    But look on the bright side. If they dont win, there's always tomorrow.
    Que sera sera.

Degenerate Member
    Aye. Getting the price is the easy part. Its getting the big buggers to cross the line in front thats the hard bit.
    But look on the bright side. If they dont win, there's always tomorrow.
    Que sera sera.

Yeah, that's what Doris said and look what happened to her

Degenerate Member
    I waited patiently all day long for Spinning Scooter and then............................bugger !

Good old Roxyfet eh, bless him.

You wouldnt think that Sir Micky was a half decent jockey in his day looking at the size of him now. The only way he could do 10st now is if you cut both of his legs off. He should have stuck with Alex instead of.......err . She would have kept him fit and in shape.

The big chase at Warwick only got a disappointing six horse field. The hurdle race slightly better. That one is a very tricky race but i did put a line through Dino Velvet and i didnt even have him favourite. They put last years winner, Mister Universum, in too big so i had to take advantage of that and that exercise is already complete. I had it down between that one and Magic Dancer but it is a hard race.

Evan Williams has also entered Firebird Flyer in the veterans chase at Cartmel on Monday but if Doing Fine is ever going to win another race then he'll never get a better chance than this. He now drops to a mark of 125, his lowest ever, and we know he's a bit of a villain but on a going day he wins.

Have a good day if you are getting involved.

Registered Member
    QC - Re hurdle and flat ratings as you have mentioned one above.

How does one compare them?

At what stage do you say that it is significant eg. 20 - 30 - 40 lower etc.?

Thanks.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    QC - Re hurdle and flat ratings as you have mentioned one above.

How does one compare them?

At what stage do you say that it is significant eg. 20 - 30 - 40 lower etc.?

Thanks.
    Its not an exact science mate and is just a pointer to a horse being potentially well in when switching codes. Note the word "potentially".
    Most on here will have heard Fitzy going on about how he adds 45 to a horses flat rating and that should be close to its jumps mark. I always used to work to 35 and a few old mates of mine do likewise. My reason for doing so is that back in the day when the top weight for a flat race was 10st, and for the jumps it was 12st 7lb, that equated to a difference of 2st 7lb, i.e 35lb. I used that as a guide and still do to this day. So it does take my eye when i see cases like the mark Cornerstone Lad has which is currently 77lb below his jumps rating. As i thought, the ground was of no use to him last night and he was taken out at the overnight stage. He is actually down for a lady amateur riders race at Ayr on Tuesday where the current going forecast is good to firm. But there is rain forecast so an eye should be kept on the weather and the going. Its a 0-65 race and looking through the field, he should be picking this lot up and carrying them.
    But back to your question. if applicable i will check every horses flat and jumps marks as i am going through the races. Most of the time it means absolutely nothing but there are occasions when i will give a horse a second look purely because of the big discrepancy in their two ratings. Its hard to put a figure on it because as i said earlier, its just a guide, a rough guide. But i suppose a 50lb and upwards difference would make me have a second look.

Hope this helps. Have a good day, and that goes to everyone else as well. I'm not bothering myself today. I was disappointed with the field sizes at Cartmel and tomorrows three jumps cards at Kelso, Fontwell and Uttoxeter are low on numbers as well. I did a couple at Haydock for today but nothing stood out and that also applied to the one i did at York. I dont touch Chester so its a feet up and watch the action with no involvement today. The decs are in later for Mondays flat cards so i'll have a run through those for an hour and get stuck into them properly tomorrow.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 26-05-2019 at 09:58.

16. 3 Thanks from:
    clancy, fridge, punter bren

Registered Member
    Great reply - Many Thanks.

Degenerate Member
    In the 3.00 at Redcar tomorrow, there is a horse called Mr Wing running. I use the word "running" very loosely. The horse is currently rated 17 and and will be a massive price again. I was sat here wondering why people bother bearing in mind the cost of training fees etc. But then i noticed that it actually beat a horse home in its last race. Prior to last time out it had finished eleventh of eleven and eighth of eight. But if you think he is bad, the horse who finished behind him last time out at Chester, Piccolo Ramoscello, could actually be rated zero. Mr Wing was conceding "Piccolo" 5lb and had him 12L behind when they were eleventh and twelfth respectively. And "Piccolo" has finished stone last in all three starts. He is owned by his breeder, Paul D'Amato, and all i can say is that he has far more faith and patience than i could ever have.
    But i have no doubt that the horse is his pride and joy so good luck to the fella.

Quote Originally Posted by ceiphas50 View Post
    Tush n Pat seen to have similar MO s but good be coincidence?
    You are wrong but not far off the mark mucker.

I thought it was fairly obvious. It stood out a mile !
    Totally wrong mucker. Members of the same betting club we are.

Degenerate Member
    No nonsense on this thread please. I/We try to keep this one for proper racing talk and for pointers and facts that some people might not pick up on or be aware of.

Thread Information