Page 140 of 144 FirstFirst ... 130138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 2867

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

  1. #2781
    Degenerate Member Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,618
    Confirmed that NO racing in UK till February 13th...at the earliest
    At all points in our lives you will either be underrated or overrated

  2. #2782
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Confirmed that NO racing in UK till February 13th...at the earliest
    It had to happen mate, there was nothing else they could do.

  3. #2783
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    What are we going to do now ?

    I Spy anyone ????

  4. #2784
    Degenerate Member Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,618
    Might start talking to my Mrs again..
    At all points in our lives you will either be underrated or overrated

  5. #2785
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Might start talking to my Mrs again..
    This is no time to start making knee jerk decisions ! Sit down, pour yourself a drink and think this through properly. Because if this goes on for a couple of weeks, you're going to have to talk to her for that length of time. I havent spoken 50 words THIS YEAR to Mrs Crossett but thats only because i cant get a word in edgeways !!!!!
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 07-02-2019 at 20:19.

  6. #2786
    Degenerate Member Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,618
    At all points in our lives you will either be underrated or overrated

  7. #2787
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,431
    I superglued my wife's lips together just for a joke but she didn't see the funny side. She's still not speaking to me.

  8. #2788
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,592
    One of Donald McCain's horses infected with equine influenza did run this week and three more of the trainer's inmates have tested positive.


    Id say it will be a few weeks before we have racing on again in england.

  9. #2789
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Theres reports of another case now from a different stable.

  10. #2790
    Degenerate Member Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,618
    Not much chance of racing resuming next week now
    At all points in our lives you will either be underrated or overrated

  11. #2791
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Its half time in the rugby and there's not a lot doing. So i want to ask a question that i have asked before but i didnt get any answers. Hopefully, someone from one of the many companies involved will see this and reply. So here we go.
    Why are all TV adverts from "bookmakers" aimed at eight year olds ? I assume that the people who think them all up are only six years old and this is the next step up from nursery rhymes. I say "assume" because i dont actually know. Thats why i am asking. But the adverts are so nonsensical, asinine, puerile and immature that they obviously cant be aimed at adults and therefore are of no use whatsoever because, and i think that betting companies should know this, little kids arent allowed to bet.

    Anyone ?

  12. #2792
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,431
    Have you seen the latest Paddy Power one witj Ryan Giggs’ brother? It’s funny

  13. #2793
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    Have you seen the latest Paddy Power one witj Ryan Giggs’ brother? It’s funny
    I havent mate. One or two of Powers have been mildly amusing but the vast majority of adverts put out by "bookmakers" are immature beyond belief. I assume they are shown in infant schools around the country with the lesson being "do not grow up like this". Corals and Ladcrooks are the worst offenders closely followed by Baldfred. They are almost certainly thought up and produced by youngsters on work experience and thats about as far as their advertising careers will go. A life sweeping the streets awaits.

    I remember touching on this before and i referred to a Dudley Moore film from way back called Crazy People that was about an advertising executive who ended up in a mental hospital (take note Ladcrooks and Corals) but with the "help" of his fellow patients (nutters), he started producing "true" adverts stating EXACTLY what the product offered without all the frills and bullshit.

    Something like this......"We are Ladcrooks. We used to be bookmakers but over the years we have found that our staff knowledge has fallen way below that of the punters and we have needed to look to other ways to get the money from their pockets to our tills. We have brought in cartoon racing where we give the cartoon jockeys actual names and where there isnt a hope in hell of anyone actually making any money out of it. Apart from us that is ! We have cartoon dogs and the outcome is very much the same. We can be heard from time to time saying things like "this dog has won its last two races and is obviously in form". We play bingo and we take bets on lotteries from all over the world. Basically we will bet on anything as long as we are certain that the punter doesnt have an edge or knows more than us. We will do unscrupulous things like cancelling punters winning bets and then have to reach out of court settlements, We will also try to avoid paying our fair share of tax and we will go as far as the Court of Appeal although we ended up losing just as we should have done. We will produce illegal adverts in Australia that induce people to bet and we will go to court over it although we ended up losing that one as well. Theres far more but we wont go into all that just yet. We will try and have as many single manned shops as we can so as to save money and to hell with the safety of our staff. And we will also pay them as little as we can.
    But we have a nice red sign and its usually quite warm inside so why dont you all come in, bring as much money or debit/credit cards as you can, and we will try and relieve you of it all as quickly as we possibly can !

    I think this might catch on !
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 10-02-2019 at 09:34.

  14. #2794
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Reading that back, i think i may have a future in advertising. I am available for hire so if there any firms out there that want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth broadcast to the world, just get in touch and i will gladly do the job.

  15. #2795
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Level 2, Mountjoy
    Posts
    326
    Powers are a Billion Euro Business primarily because of the type of advertising you despise.

    It works.

    You are not their Target Market - So the Ad Guys should actually get a tasty bonus for pissing you off - Job Done.

  16. #2796
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    Powers are a Billion Euro Business primarily because of the type of advertising you despise.

    It works.

    You are not their Target Market - So the Ad Guys should actually get a tasty bonus for pissing you off - Job Done.


    I dont despise it mate, the only feelings i have are one of sympathy. They have the occasional slightly humourous ad but for the majority of the time the ads are immature, bordering on childish. That said, nothing like as bad as Corals or Ladcrooks. But if you think about it, when they try and make ads about horse racing, they really only want to target the smaller, compulsive type gamblers rather than ALL horse racing punters. Which is exactly what you've put by saying that I, and many like me, are not their target market.
    As for the ad guys getting a bonus for pissing me off, i think the chop or a move to the cleaning dept would be nearer the mark. They dont piss me off one bit ! Far from it ! As i said earlier, they have my sympathies. In my opinion they do a rather poor job. The stuff they churn out is very weak.
    And as for "job done" for pissing me off, that is not the job of ad people. And, looking at it from your point of view, the fact that they dont means they have failed.

  17. #2797
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Four more cases reported, this time in Newmarket

  18. #2798
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Four more cases reported, this time in Newmarket
    Good news it’s all in the same yard but bad nees that it’s Newmarket as i think if it had been a small yard in yorkshire racing may have gone ahead with a few yards banned but now there can’t be any chance of racing in Wednesday surely.

    I’ve quite enjoyed the break in a way to be honest. Given me a chance to update my records ready for the flat season to start

  19. #2799
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    Good news it’s all in the same yard but bad nees that it’s Newmarket as i think if it had been a small yard in yorkshire racing may have gone ahead with a few yards banned but now there can’t be any chance of racing in Wednesday surely.

    I’ve quite enjoyed the break in a way to be honest. Given me a chance to update my records ready for the flat season to start
    I am almost certain that racing will NOT go ahead on Wednesday. But my only concern is that its the BHA we are dealing with here. If the sport was run by any other organisation and i would be 100% certain it wouldnt go ahead. Then again, "another" organisation might not have cancelled it in the first place.
    As i've said a few times, i am no expert when it comes to equine illnesses, far from it. I know as much as the average man in the street. And my loathing of the BHA has been well documented on here. But i always try and look at things from both sides to get a balanced view and my knowledge (or lack of) is such that i have gone along with their decisions. But now i am reading more and more people coming out saying that they have overreacted, Henrietta Knight being the latest, and i am beginning to side with the likes of "Hen", Nigel Twiston Davies and a few well known vets amongst many. I have read a few times recently that there will always be at least one horse in Britain each and every day which has flu. It happens ! It happens in us humans. So now why the panic because there were six last week ? Ok, there are four more now but thats only ten confirmed out of the thousands of tests that have been taken. There might be more to come, who knows ? But then again there might not be. But the BHA have now made a rod for their own back because they cancelled racing last week after the first three positive tests so it goes that they HAVE to cancel racing this week because there are four more. They cannot do u turn and say that racing can start again because that would be totally illogical. But then again, it is the BHA we are dealing with here.

    But thats only my view.
    Anyone else ?

  20. #2800
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,239
    But lets get back to racing.

    Its Frankel's 11th birthday today. And i have just watched a re-run of THAT 2000 gns. To the eye, it was probably one of the most stunning performances i have seen from what i consider the greatest racehorse i have had the pleasure to watch. And i very much doubt i will see another like him.
    Now i'm not going to diss him here, as i said, he is the best i've seen. But when you actually dissect that 2000 gns field, it is quite revealing. And its fair to say that it was far from the greatest classic field you will ever come across.
    The second horse, Dubawi Gold, went on to win the Celebration Mile at Goodwood four months later but that was his only win from his ten starts following the guineas.
    The third horse, Native Khan, raced four more times and never got his head in front.
    Back in fourth was Slim Shadey who raced six more times in Britain without success although he did go over to America and win five times over there.
    In fifth was Fury who raced another twenty two times after Newmarket but all he had to show for it was two handicap wins at York and Chepstow.
    The sixth horse in the guineas was Happy Today who finished tailed in his only remaining race in Britain in the Tercentenary Stakes at the Royal meeting before being shipped to Dubai where he failed to win in his eight starts there.
    Home in seventh was Pathfork and he left Jessica Harringtons stable after that race and went to America where he finished sixth of seven on his one and only start.
    Back in eighth was Rerouted who raced sixteen more times after this and only had two wins on the Tapeta at Meydan to show for his efforts after being switched to Mike De Kock.
    In ninth place was Loving Spirit and all he had to show for turning out another thirty two times was a handicap win at Leicester and another at Chester.
    In tenth was Casamento who had promised so much in his two years old days but only had a win in the Group 3 Prix D'Orange to for his efforts in his final three races before being sent to stud.
    Eleventh was Roderic O'Connor and at least we can say there was one other classic winner in the field. He went on to win the Irish 2000 gns next time out but that was only because Frankel didnt bother going there. He only raced three more times after that but never looked like getting involved in any of them.
    In twelfth was Saamidd who had six more races after the guineas but failed to get his head in front.
    And finally in thirteenth and last was Broox who raced another seven times after Newmarket and was yet another who failed to win again.

    And there you have it. The guineas was visually stunning but after going through the whole field, it does put it into perspective a bit. But as i said earlier, i am not going to crab the best horse i have ever seen. He thrashed the likes of Excelebration (many times), Farrh, Cirrus Des Aigles, Canford Cliffs, Dream Ahead et al.

    A once in a lifetime horse !
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 11-02-2019 at 15:46.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 4 guests)

  1. Jombo,
  2. sparx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •