Page 252 of 265 FirstFirst ... 242250251252253254262 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 5287

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Degenerate Member
    If racing does return on May 1st, and its a big IF, the following day is supposed to be 2000gns day and the day after is 1000gns day.
    That should be interesting.

But Hexham is on Saturday 2nd as well. That will be more interesting.

Degenerate Member
    Just to keep this social interraction going, we cant all just log off and go AWOL until it resumes. I would imagine we all have racing tales to tell that could keep us all amused for a while. I have plenty but quite a few of them would mean naming names which i cant/wont do and a few others would mean trying to find a decent lawyer for when the person involved got to hear about it. One springs to mind straight away and i have no doubt that this very famous person would not be amused. And he'd want to fight it. Its all true and all fact but its not worth the hassle and so thats another one out of the window.

Anyone ?

Degenerate Member
    I'm off out for a walk down to the beach and them a coffee or two with an old mucker. And then...........

Degenerate Member
    Irish racing gets the go ahead. Rumour has it that most of England will be in Total lockdown from Saturday on.

Registered Member
    Racing behind closed doors is set to continue in Ireland following a meeting of officials on Wednesday.

Racing in Ireland has taken place without spectators since Friday due to the coronavirus pandemic, with two fixtures staged on Tuesday for St Patrick’s Day.

However, the British Horseracing Authority announced that after the two meetings which took place behind closed doors in England on Tuesday, racing in the UK would be suspended until the end of April.

Horse Racing Ireland considered whether it should also call a temporary halt to the action, but having examined the issue, it has opted to carry on racing, albeit with even more stringent controls.

The new restrictions imposed include no runners from overseas and no evening meetings or double fixtures, with the latter measure aimed at reducing the draw on medical resources.

Horse Racing Ireland said in a statement a sub-committee would continue to review the situation on a “daily basis”, while contingency planning for changes to race programming – should Irish racing need to be cancelled entirely for a period of time – was already under way.

HRI said the decision to continue racing is motivated by “the need to maintain employment and incomes for people working in the industry, and on the basis of being able to achieve and maintain all HSE (Health and Safety Executive) advice and instructions”.

Nicky Hartery, chairman of HRI, said: “These are unprecedented and sombre times and we are seeking the best ways to support the racing community and industry throughout what lies ahead.

“Health and welfare of employees and industry participants is the prime consideration and within that context, we have introduced protocols which can allow racing to continue and thousands of families who rely on the sector to maintain a livelihood.

“This will be kept under review on a daily basis and we are also planning measures for reprogramming fixtures as it becomes required. Changes to the programme will be separately announced.

“We have consulted with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine throughout this process and we will continue to strictly adhere to the Government and HSE advice.

“We have made it clear at all times that our medical facilities and personnel will be available for the Government to use if necessary – that will take precedence above any other consideration.”

In another change to protocols, jockeys’ weights will increase by 2lb from Friday, both on the Flat and in National Hunt races, with all racecourse saunas closed.

No owner will be permitted to attend race meetings for the foreseeable future, while there will be a maximum of 30-minute intervals between races to assist social distancing.

Brian Kavanagh, HRI chief executive, added: “This is clearly a rapidly changing situation and Horse Racing Ireland will continue to liaise with the relevant Government Departments and with our health advisors.

“The executive sub-committee of Horse Racing Ireland and the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board is meeting daily to assess the situation, and the Board of Horse Racing Ireland will continue to convene as required.

“Racecourses by their nature offer opportunities for social distancing that few other workplaces can.

“Nothing in Irish life is as it was a week ago, and in the same way, these are not race fixtures as we previously knew them, they are big open-air sites with very few people present and nobody on site if they are not involved: once a jockey or trainer has finished their business for the afternoon, they are required to leave.

“Furthermore, we have carried out risk assessments according to each individual racecourse facility, and some fixtures may be subject to greater restrictions and limitations to ensure social distancing is easily achievable and maintained.

“The Board paid tribute to the flexibility shown by stable staff, jockeys, trainers, owners and employees of the IHRB, HRI, the media and broadcasters.

“Strict measures were imposed on them almost immediately last Friday but their actions, care and vigilance have ensured that social distancing is being observed and racecourses continue to be a safe working environment.”

Ireland to race on behind closed doors
    Latest Headlines
    Wednesday, 18th March 2020
    Racing behind closed doors is set to continue in Ireland following a meeting of officials on Wednesday.

Racing in Ireland has taken place without spectators since Friday due to the coronavirus pandemic, with two fixtures staged on Tuesday for St Patrick’s Day.

However, the British Horseracing Authority announced that after the two meetings which took place behind closed doors in England on Tuesday, racing in the UK would be suspended until the end of April.

Horse Racing Ireland considered whether it should also call a temporary halt to the action, but having examined the issue, it has opted to carry on racing, albeit with even more stringent controls.

The new restrictions imposed include no runners from overseas and no evening meetings or double fixtures, with the latter measure aimed at reducing the draw on medical resources.

Horse Racing Ireland said in a statement a sub-committee would continue to review the situation on a “daily basis”, while contingency planning for changes to race programming – should Irish racing need to be cancelled entirely for a period of time – was already under way.

HRI said the decision to continue racing is motivated by “the need to maintain employment and incomes for people working in the industry, and on the basis of being able to achieve and maintain all HSE (Health and Safety Executive) advice and instructions”.

Nicky Hartery, chairman of HRI, said: “These are unprecedented and sombre times and we are seeking the best ways to support the racing community and industry throughout what lies ahead.

“Health and welfare of employees and industry participants is the prime consideration and within that context, we have introduced protocols which can allow racing to continue and thousands of families who rely on the sector to maintain a livelihood.

“This will be kept under review on a daily basis and we are also planning measures for reprogramming fixtures as it becomes required. Changes to the programme will be separately announced.

“We have consulted with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine throughout this process and we will continue to strictly adhere to the Government and HSE advice.

“We have made it clear at all times that our medical facilities and personnel will be available for the Government to use if necessary – that will take precedence above any other consideration.”

In another change to protocols, jockeys’ weights will increase by 2lb from Friday, both on the Flat and in National Hunt races, with all racecourse saunas closed.

No owner will be permitted to attend race meetings for the foreseeable future, while there will be a maximum of 30-minute intervals between races to assist social distancing.

Brian Kavanagh, HRI chief executive, added: “This is clearly a rapidly changing situation and Horse Racing Ireland will continue to liaise with the relevant Government Departments and with our health advisors.

“The executive sub-committee of Horse Racing Ireland and the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board is meeting daily to assess the situation, and the Board of Horse Racing Ireland will continue to convene as required.

“Racecourses by their nature offer opportunities for social distancing that few other workplaces can.

“Nothing in Irish life is as it was a week ago, and in the same way, these are not race fixtures as we previously knew them, they are big open-air sites with very few people present and nobody on site if they are not involved: once a jockey or trainer has finished their business for the afternoon, they are required to leave.

“Furthermore, we have carried out risk assessments according to each individual racecourse facility, and some fixtures may be subject to greater restrictions and limitations to ensure social distancing is easily achievable and maintained.

“The Board paid tribute to the flexibility shown by stable staff, jockeys, trainers, owners and employees of the IHRB, HRI, the media and broadcasters.

“Strict measures were imposed on them almost immediately last Friday but their actions, care and vigilance have ensured that social distancing is being observed and racecourses continue to be a safe working environment.”

Latest Headlines
    Wednesday, 18th March 2020

Registered Member
    The government has been asked to provide emergency help to the gambling industry
    1 of 1
    By Bill Barber
    UPDATED 7:51PM, MAR 17 2020

Gambling industry body the Betting and Gaming Council has given a cautious welcome to the "unprecedented" financial package to support the economy announced by the government on Tuesday evening, but is seeking more clarity on the measures.

Earlier in the day the BGC had urged the government to provide emergency help to save thousands of jobs across the gambling industry, which has been left reeling by the effects of the coronavirus outbreak.

It called for assistance with employment costs as a priority and has also asked for business rates relief and additional time to pay duties and corporation tax.

The news that British racing is to be suspended from Wednesday until the end of April will come as another hammer blow to bookmakers who have already had millions of pounds wiped from their share values in recent days.

Major operators Flutter Entertainment and GVC Holdings – the parent companies of Paddy Power Betfair and Ladbrokes Coral respectively – along with William Hill revealed this week that the suspension of sports events would reduce their earnings by more than £100 million apiece.

They also warned that cancellation of horseracing, along with betting shop closures, would further reduce earnings by tens of millions of pounds per month.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jombo View Post
    Irish racing gets the go ahead. Rumour has it that most of England will be in Total lockdown from Saturday on.
    What do you mean by "total lockdown" mate?

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    What do you mean by "total lockdown" mate?
    i presume it will be like france. Huge jump in deaths yesterday for ye. it doesn't look good for ye. i hope i am wrong. It deffo looks like yer government don't like making strong decisions.

Degenerate Member
    We’ll see how it works out in the long run. The spread is inevitable whatever anyone does, its all about flattering out the numbers to reduce the peak so they say which means that their strategy is for some people to get it earlier than others ta rather than all at one go. it all seems very risky and there is no easy answer but I notice on that worldometer link that someone put up that Uk is showing as 39 cases per 1 million population and Ireland is showing as 59 cases per million so it doesn’t look like your lot are doing such a great job either.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    We’ll see how it works out in the long run. The spread is inevitable whatever anyone does, its all about flattering out the numbers to reduce the peak so they say which means that their strategy is for some people to get it earlier than others ta rather than all at one go. it all seems very risky and there is no easy answer but I notice on that worldometer link that someone put up that Uk is showing as 39 cases per 1 million population and Ireland is showing as 59 cases per million so it doesn’t look like your lot are doing such a great job either.

look its a balls well and truly and we all know there are no easy solutions-- but do you really believe that that is all that's infected in england at the moment?

Going back to racing and I would have cancelled all irish racing too the only person they are catering too is the gambling addict and bookmakers.

I have had a couple of tips over the years,
    But the one I think was the most genuine was when I used to drink in the pub opposite the railway station at cork city,oddly it was called the railway.
    I had been dropping in whilst waiting for a railway train having a few scoops and talking toot to many regulars,then one day when I'd left the said public house to catch my railway train I got talking to one of the regulars who told me he was a professional gambler and was off to Spain for a few months.
    Cheltenham was a good six weeks away and he told me to back hardy Eustace in whatever race he ran in and to take the morning price,it duly obliged at 40/1 and I've been looking for this guy ever since.
    My balls feel like a pair of maracas Frank Zappa R.I.P

Degenerate Member
    Iím here. A cheque will do

There's more to it than that
    I had brave Inca in a double
    And this will show you how much I know about horse racing
    I had a treble and backed against best mate ! What an idiot !!!
    My balls feel like a pair of maracas Frank Zappa R.I.P

Degenerate Member
    Jombo of course it’s not all that’s infected but they can’t report figures until they’ve tested them can they? They are stepping up the testing in UK so the figures are going to increase rapidly as obviously the more tests the more positive treats but that’s a good thing because it will show that the massive majority of people who get the virus get over it and that’s the most important figures of all. for example the figures for ireland yesterday were 2 dead and 5 recovered so of 7 cases that were “resolved” , a death rate of over 28 percent which is obviously bollocks. in three weeks time when we have hundreds recovered we will get a better idea.

Of course the figures will still be high in real terms as there will be thousands who get it and get over it and never even get tested but when the dust settles i reckon we’ll be looking at about a rate of 3% of those who are tested. The figures are skewed because every virus death will be confirmed whereas it’s impossible to count everyone who gets it as most wont be tested so the actual death rate for the whole population is likely to be leas than 1% and although every death is a tragedy for someone, that doesn’t seem quite so scary.

15. 1 Thanks from:
    bluestone

Degenerate Member
    Ahem. Are you quite finished you two !?!?
    I'm going to have to retitle this thread Rambling about racing and Gambling. We all need some respite from it.
    Lets just have racing talk on here and i'll resume it with a step back in time to this day in 1997. No particular reason why i picked this year except to say it was the first form book i picked up.

For jumping fans there was only long lost Folkestone. It was soft on the chase course and heavy on the hurdles track which basically meant that it was bloody hard going and there were going to be a lot of tired horses after their races.

The first was a novice handicap hurdle won by Museum who was trained by Peter Winkworth and ridden by the wonderfully named Xavier Aizpuru. If i remember rightly, he started off with "The Duke", David Nicholson, and ended up his career riding in America. Anyway, he got this one home by eleven lengths and at the finish there was over 100L between first and last. It used to be tough going round there and non stayers need not apply.
    The second race was a claiming hurdle and as was mostly the case in those days, it was won by the combination of M.C.Pipe and A.P.McCoy. The horse was called Rare Spread and looking at the SP of 9/4, i suppose that was fairly generous. That one managed to scrape home by sixteen lengths and of course no one dared claim the horse after the race.
    The third was a 2m chase and was won by Buckland Lad who went off the 15/8 fav and was ridden by Barry Fenton. I remember that horse doing me a favour or two although whether i was on that day or not is another matter.
    The fourth race was the seller and the Burchells copped this one with Killing Time. I think that is what we are all doing now waiting for it all to start over again. Its a trip down memory lane looking at some of the unplaced jockeys in that race.Adrian Maguire, Dean Gallagher, Timmy Murphy, Emily Jones, Jamie Osbourne, David Skyrne amongst them.
    I have to say that i was never a Jamie Osbourne fan and still arent now that he is training. I dont want to go into why on here but all i will say is that some of the horses he rode would have stood a better chance if they had been ridden by Ozzy Osbourne.
    The next was a maiden hunter chase and the 11/10 fav, Trifast Lad, emerged the winner ridden by that good amateur Paul Hacking.
    And the final race was a two and threequarter mile handicap hurdle which was won by the David Bridgewater ridden Millmount who went off a 5/1 chance. Leglock Luke finished sixth on Lajadhal and just in front of him were Norman Williamson, Daniel Fortt and Carl Llewellyn and another place for Dean Gallagher. The six finishers were separated by over 67L at the death so i would think most punters were on their way home before Luke crossed the line .

Just looking at the next days racing i see that Huntingdon and Wincanton were on. One of the winners at Huntingdon was Thumbs Up trained by Graham McCourt, but some of you will remember this one winning the County Hurdle at the 93 festival for Nicky Henderson and ridden by Richard Dunwoody.

Happy days

Registered Member
    I never rated Osborne either - one of those types that make me think it must be me that is wrong - surely the owners and trainers know more than me when putting him up - I might let him lead the horse around the parade ring but that would be it.

I did like Stormin Norman though.

Degenerate Member
    I wonder will more favourites /best horses win more / try to win their races now that a future target/plot cant be planned ??

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceiphas50 View Post
    I wonder will more favourites /best horses win more / try to win their races now that a future target/plot cant be planned ??
    I have absolutely no idea mate.
    All horses are going to have a minimum six week break from racing although they will no doubt be going thru their usual routine at home. They are also going to be running on different ground come May or whenever it is. I know the British weather isnt all that reliaible and easy to forecast but it should be at least on the good side. So the horses that need the soft/heavy ground and have been doing well will suddenly find things totally different. Thats where the form study comes into it and also looking for the ones who go well after a break. And i can imagine large fields being the norm as the trainers get some runs into their horses.
    There is always money to be made with the prices and thats what i will be solely concentrating on. With there being no racing for at least the next six weeks, i will also be looking at giving it at least another four weeks after that before i dip my toes into the betting waters.

I still think the BHA screwed up by stopping it altogether and it seems as though there is growing unrest among the trainers with the decision as well. I've read a couple of quotes today and those trainers think they should have kept it going behind closed doors. But unfortunately, the BHA are in charge and you can always rely on them to get it wrong and do whatever they can to prove that they are imbeciles.

I know we all have our own views on the matter but if everyone is careful, uses common sense and dont panic, we should all get thru this ok.

Registered Member
    Lean times for QC - he will be down from two bets a year to one.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    Lean times for QC - he will be down from two bets a year to one.

There are actually times during a normal year when i can go six weeks without one. I usually find that when that happens, three or four bets come along in the space of a week or two. But at the end of the day, there is no racing so there is absolutely Jack Shit i can do about it.
    At least i'm getting the jobs done that i've been putting off and putting off again. The garden is well on its way now and i've chucked away loads of stuff from the garage. That is getting done when the garden is complete.
    I had a day off it yesterday and the missus and i had a nice drive out to Whitby. Plenty of people wandering around enjoying the sun but at the same time, there were far less than normal. The pubs and cafe's were doing a decent trade with plenty of people sat outside in the sunshine. Wetherspoons was doing a roaring trade as usual but sadly, none of them will be doing it today. We had Fish and Chips from one of the few Chippys that was open and then stood in the sun but under cover because the seagulls there are bastards and swoop down and try and nick them out of your hands.

It will soon be May

Thread Information