Page 301 of 313 FirstFirst ... 291299300301302303311 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,020 of 6255

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

  1. #6001
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,750
    "And i cant help feeling that some of the decisions that are being made are done so for financial reasons rather than safety reasons."

    Of course they are. The safest thing would be for everyone to stay at home until a vaccine or treatment could be mass-produced. The problem with that is, nobody knows how long that will take - if ever and we'd all emerge blinking from our little bunkers to find that there was no civilisation left to go back to.

    The (UK) economy can't take much more. God knows what decade the public debt will get back under control and we are going to face some stiff taxes in three years or so which will make our eyes water. All these measures have got to be paid for and all the while, there is less money coming into the coffers in taxes etc than going out.

    So, put simply, keeping things working is as important as safety from the virus whether we like it or not. People are dying and suffering from things NOT being done due to Covid (and that's not even taking into account the increase in suicides and mental illness). We could all stay locked down for two years and emerge with no teeth and blind from glaucoma due to no dentists and opticians, increased deaths from cancer due to no screening and treatment and a hundred other issues that don't get the headlines that covid gets but it's just not practical. And of course, we wouldn't last two years because if we wanted to make sure everyone was absolutely safe, there could be no shops open and nobody to haul the stuff there to be sold anyway.

    There needs to be a balancing act between safety and society functioning. Ideally, with a bit of common sense thrown in but that seems to be getting increasingly rare. There are difficult decisions to be made and I wouldn't like to be the one making decisions and relying on a population who are around 40% totally fucking stupid to stick to doing what is sensible.

    My turn to rant

  2. #6002
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    "And i cant help feeling that some of the decisions that are being made are done so for financial reasons rather than safety reasons."

    Of course they are. The safest thing would be for everyone to stay at home until a vaccine or treatment could be mass-produced. The problem with that is, nobody knows how long that will take - if ever and we'd all emerge blinking from our little bunkers to find that there was no civilisation left to go back to.

    The (UK) economy can't take much more. God knows what decade the public debt will get back under control and we are going to face some stiff taxes in three years or so which will make our eyes water. All these measures have got to be paid for and all the while, there is less money coming into the coffers in taxes etc than going out.

    So, put simply, keeping things working is as important as safety from the virus whether we like it or not. People are dying and suffering from things NOT being done due to Covid (and that's not even taking into account the increase in suicides and mental illness). We could all stay locked down for two years and emerge with no teeth and blind from glaucoma due to no dentists and opticians, increased deaths from cancer due to no screening and treatment and a hundred other issues that don't get the headlines that covid gets but it's just not practical. And of course, we wouldn't last two years because if we wanted to make sure everyone was absolutely safe, there could be no shops open and nobody to haul the stuff there to be sold anyway.

    There needs to be a balancing act between safety and society functioning. Ideally, with a bit of common sense thrown in but that seems to be getting increasingly rare. There are difficult decisions to be made and I wouldn't like to be the one making decisions and relying on a population who are around 40% totally fucking stupid to stick to doing what is sensible.

    My turn to rant
    You cant beat a good rant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I agree with what you say and the point you are putting across, that is why i said SOME of the decisions. Businesses and shops do need to be open. But at the same time, they need to enforce the rules regarding social distancing and the wearing of masks. It has to be made law. Otherwise, the stupid morons that you mention will just carry on regardless. As i've said on here in the past, the reason why the UK has one of the highest percentages of infections is because the UK has one of the highest percentages of stupid, ignorant and arrogant people !! They all seem to think the are "special" and it doesnt apply to them.
    Everyone on here will have seen the idiots in pubs and shops etc with no mask on. This morning i took my old mans papers round and of the five people in the shop when i went in, only I was wearing a mask. I then nipped into Sainsburys and there were about ten people in there and apart from one woman, again it was only me with a mask. And yet they are all walking down the aisles brushing past each other. I asked the woman behind the counter why nobody was wearing masks and she said that although they have a notice on the door asking people to wear one, they cant enforce it. It is up to each individual. And i find that ridiculous. They have to be made to wear one because i live in a land of thick fucking Brits and they are too stupid to realise and see sense.

    My rant over

    And now on to the Sandown 3.05 tomorrow. I know its only seven furlongs but i'm struggling for races to do.

  3. 1 Thanks from:
    ONEDUNME

  4. #6003
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,750
    Good. You can tell me whether Jack's Point has an each way chance

  5. #6004
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    i live in a land of thick fucking Brits


    .



  6. #6005
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    Good. You can tell me whether Jack's Point has an each way chance
    Anybody who risks more than 2p on that race has too much money in my opinion.

    Its one of those races mate where they have all been beating each other and its just a case of working out whose turn it is this time round. But i will throw three of the bigger price ones into the mix and see what you think. We'll start at the bottom.
    Zap hasnt won since picking up the Sovereign Path handicap at Leopardstown two years ago. That was off a mark of 95. He is now down to 78 although he runs off 80 tomorrow as he is 2lb outside of the handicap. He has been competing in some of the best 7f and mile handicaps over the past two years. Conditions are ideal and it would not surprise me if he went close.
    Boy In The Bar, at first glance, would seem to have it all to do. But this lad has won ten races and was only beaten a length in this race last year. He races tomorrow off a 1lb lower mark but more importantly carries only 7-10 after young Ashton's claim has been taken into account. He's been pulled out of four races since the resumption of racing on grounds ranging from good to firm and soft. The good ground of Sandown should be ideal.
    And last, but by no means least, we have Ebury. Have a look at his last run. He was going very nicely at Ascot last time out in the big International handicap approaching the last two furlongs when he went to go for a run between horses and was carved up by the two alongside moving inwards. He was allowed to coast home after that and its anyones guess as to where he would have finished. Wherever it was, it would have been a lot closer than he did finish. He had finished a good sixth in the Buckingham Palace handicap at the Royal meeting prior to that and is now 3lb better off with Jacks Point who was second. He had some subsequent winners in behind including Glen Shiel who is running out of his skin this season and was a cracking second in the Sprint Cup on Saturday.
    Another horse for who conditions are ideal.

    But in truth, anything can win it and i have no intention whatsoever of having a bet in the race. That said, i may play around with one who has been put in too big.

  7. 1 Thanks from:
    ONEDUNME

  8. #6006
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    1,035
    3.35 Berkshire rocco is currently 33/1.

    Half that tomorrow me thinks.
    horse racing is a tax on the stupid.

  9. #6007
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by the dope View Post
    3.35 Berkshire rocco is currently 33/1.

    Half that tomorrow me thinks.
    Good luck with that one, i am solely at Fontwell today. The jump racing is ticking along very nicely but its stop/start again this coming week. After today there is only Hexham on Tuesday and Kelso on Wednesday during the week before it resumes again on Saturday with Newton Abbot.

    I'd love to see Pyledriver win the big one but i shall be a spectator only.

    A mate of mine rang me last night and made me laugh. He has said in the past that he only mutes the tv when certain clowns (pundits) are on. He rattled off the usual suspects, Yates, Nevison, Chapman, Steedman Stanley etc etc but said he now does it when Leonna is on because she sounds like an extra from Coronation Street.

    A smile came to my face when i saw The Jam Man running on really well to grab second at Limerick yesterday. This is after being beaten 36L, 49L, 57L, 31L and pulled up in his previous five outings. After watching it again i just got the impression that connections possibly thought that they could win that race.
    He's down to run again at Tipperary on Tuesday.

    Dreadful racing over here tomorrow with just Bath and two all weather meetings. That said, there is one at Bath with a definite each way chance at a half decent price.

    Have a good day all, show them no mercy !!
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 12-09-2020 at 09:05.

  10. #6008
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The English Midlands
    Posts
    2,750
    "A mate of mine rang me last night and made me laugh. He has said in the past that he only mutes the tv when certain clowns (pundits) are on. He rattled off the usual suspects, Yates, Nevison, Chapman, Steedman Stanley etc etc but said he now does it when Leonna is on because she sounds like an extra from Coronation Street. "

    I'm guessing that must be the trout that I was on about the other week. What a fucking noise. I can put up with any accent (apart from deep Scouse which confuses me. I can't make my mind up whether Scousers are singing to me or getting ready to spit at me- Horrible noise) but I have to turn the sound down when I hear that woman. I can't make my mind up whether it's Manc' or Stokie but whatever it is, she should be banned from opening her gob in public, let alone being allowed to inflict it on the viewing public.

  11. #6009
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Posts
    7,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    That said, there is one at Bath with a definite each way chance at a half decent price.
    Equipped?

  12. #6010
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    Equipped?
    No mate, it was Cafe Sydney in the last race but a wasted exeecise in the end. There were thirteen runners (Ingleby Exile doesnt run now) but i only give five a chance. To be fair, it has been a bit disappointing in lts last few runs but then again it is a Tony Carroll horse so that doesnt mean that much. It has a lot in its favour today and i think its primed for a big run. Hills opened up at 10's and i managed to get a few quid on (and i mean a few ! ) and then they cut it to 9's I couldnt get anything on at that price and then Bet365 went 6's and that was the end of that. More so when Powers opened up at 10/3. And the best price it has touched on the machine is 7.2.
    So that is Sunday up the Swanee and i am currently doing the 4.15 at Thirsk tomorrow.

  13. 1 Thanks from:
    Gamblor

  14. #6011
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    I'd like to think that the stable lad from Ben Haslams yard who i was talking to last week has had a word with his gaffer
    The horse runs at Hexham on Tuesday and he has put him back up to 3m. I'm already looking forward to see how he runs. There definitely will be improvement !!!! That wouldnt be hard though. I've had a look back at his form figures for the last three years and i'll list the form figures for when he was with Phillip Hobbs first.
    They are - 131332P423117247. Now for a three mile chaser, they are not bad at all and show consistent enough form.
    Now i'll list the figures since he moved to Ben Haslam. They are - tailed, tailed, tailed, tailed, tailed !!!!!
    Bit of a difference isnt there ?!?!
    But the main point to take from this is that Hobbs always had the horse a few pounds above or a few pounds below the 130 mark He would seesaw up and down around that mark. For Haslam he has gone 131 - 127 - 125 - 122 - 118 and runs on Tuesday off 112.

    As Mr Punch would say to Judy, "Thats the way to do it" !

  15. 1 Thanks from:
    Gamblor

  16. #6012
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    1,035
    6.20 Critical thinking 15/2

    9/2 or shorter tomorrow.
    horse racing is a tax on the stupid.

  17. #6013
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by the dope View Post
    6.20 Critical thinking 15/2

    9/2 or shorter tomorrow.
    Good luck with that one.

    The each way money would have been landed today if i could have got some on. Not to worry, there's always tomorrow. I have to say though that i think the young jock thought she was on Frankel from where she was at the home turn. But no harm done

  18. #6014
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    I am definitely not picking on Ben Haslam here, i could have listed one of many runners on my very long shortlist, but it just seemed to suit.
    Apart from Scoop The Pot who will win again soon, he also has done a similar thing with Laskadine. To be fair, this horse is probably not as good as once hoped but the facts are that its previous two trainers managed to get a win out of it and Ben hasnt.
    Guy Cherel had it first over in France and he managed to win a 53k hurdle with it (25k to the winner) on its first start over hurdles after finishing fourth on its only flat start. It then went to Nicky Henderson and he won a Warwick hurdle race with it before it disappointed on its final two starts for him. And now its with Ben and its form figures for him after six starts read - tailed, tailed, tailed, tailed, tailed, tailed.
    And he has manged to get the mark down from the 130 it raced off on its first start for him to its present mark of 102 !!!!
    And it also races in the green and gold hoops.

    Bit of a pattern developing here isnt there ?!?!

  19. #6015
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Level 2, Mountjoy
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    I'd like to think that the stable lad from Ben Haslams yard who i was talking to last week has had a word with his gaffer
    The horse runs at Hexham on Tuesday and he has put him back up to 3m. I'm already looking forward to see how he runs. There definitely will be improvement !!!! That wouldnt be hard though. I've had a look back at his form figures for the last three years and i'll list the form figures for when he was with Phillip Hobbs first.
    They are - 131332P423117247. Now for a three mile chaser, they are not bad at all and show consistent enough form.
    Now i'll list the figures since he moved to Ben Haslam. They are - tailed, tailed, tailed, tailed, tailed !!!!!
    Bit of a difference isnt there ?!?!
    But the main point to take from this is that Hobbs always had the horse a few pounds above or a few pounds below the 130 mark He would seesaw up and down around that mark. For Haslam he has gone 131 - 127 - 125 - 122 - 118 and runs on Tuesday off 112.

    As Mr Punch would say to Judy, "Thats the way to do it" !
    WELL
    What did you say to him?

  20. #6016
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Level 2, Mountjoy
    Posts
    740
    What do you think about Chief Craftsman 4.15


    First time in C6 and looks to have been supported.

  21. #6017
    Degenerate Member fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mallow co cork
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    WELL
    What did you say to him?
    He said he needs to take the handbrake off and run over today's distance
    why does it hurt when I pee ? Frank Zappa R.I.P

  22. #6018
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    WELL
    What did you say to him?
    We just passed the time of day at first and he said he was having a break because he was going back to do an evening session. But i did say to him that i was closely watching one of the stables horses and waiting for it to go back up to three miles and for the handbrake to be released
    Well it is back up to three miles but i dont know about the handbrake
    But having gone thru the race twice, i know that the horse is more than capable of beating that lot.

    But is it off ???

  23. #6019
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by fridge View Post
    He said he needs to take the handbrake off and run over today's distance
    Thank you fridge

  24. #6020
    Degenerate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    What do you think about Chief Craftsman 4.15


    First time in C6 and looks to have been supported.
    It has as good a chance as any but it is a very open race mate. It is a race i've done and i was very surprised at the 20/1 that Half Bolly was put in at. I didnt get a great deal on but its already laid back. The horse has nothing to fear from Monsaraz on the run last time out and yet that one was put in at 9's and Bolly was 20's. It will come on again for its second run back last time out and has finished third on its only other two runs at the track. And the trainer does well at the track and it is his second best course for winners.
    That said, Mrs Crossett has only had a couple of quid each way. That was however, after i told her not to bother.

    A very open race !

  25. 1 Thanks from:
    clancy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •