Page 226 of 237 FirstFirst ... 216224225226227228236 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 4730

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    I know it is of no consolation to anybody who backed the horse but Cornerstone Lad was the moral winner of that champion hurdle trial.
    What a performance giving weight away all round.
    But having said all that, i just dont class him as a Cheltenham horse. The more i watch him, the more i think it.
    I wonder if there is any chance of getting the champion hurdle moved to Haydock ? Or Catterick ?

But at least he maintained his record of being in the first three in all fourteen hurdle starts.
    Aah very fond memories of that day. Good old Richard guest!
    Last edited by Jombo; 18-01-2020 at 23:01.

Degenerate Member
    And you would have to threaten me at gunpoint to even part with Monopoly money to back Goshen for the Triumph Hurdle.
    Speaking of which, Alan King said a couple of weeks ago that Trueshan would not be going hurdling this season. But three firms still have him in the Triumph betting !

There doesn’t seem to be much about this year though.must have a fair enough chance in a very average year!.

Registered Member
    Beech Road and For Auction were the two shock winners I recall but the biggest was Nortons Coin from Wales in Gold Cup - may have been the only horse that trainer had.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    Great run by the Lad.

Nice win for Mrs Crumpett - She shouldn't have any headache tonight ...
    She had a very good day mate including a very nice share of the Haydock placepot.

As for headaches, they dont occur in this house. If i'm feeling a bit rampant, i just use the old tried and trusted trick. You know the one.-

QC - "There are your paracetamol",
    Mrs QC -"What are they for" ?
    QC - "Your headache",
    Mrs QC - "I havent got a headache",
    QC -

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    Beech Road and For Auction were the two shock winners I recall but the biggest was Nortons Coin from Wales in Gold Cup - may have been the only horse that trainer had.
    I remember them well, especially the Beech Road win.
    True tale - I had a bloke who used to come in the betting shop i was running at the time and if i remember rightly he was called Eddie. He was in his mid sixties then so i very much doubt he is still with us. He only ever really had a bet on a Saturday or at Cheltenham, Royal Ascot etc, but he liked a natter when he came in and i got to know him quite well. So he comes in the shop one morning in January and asked for the betting on the Champion Hurdle. "I've got a tip" he said. So i asked him which horse he wanted and he said Beech Road. It was 66/1 at the time so he had a 1 e.w. on it. Now all ante post bets had to be rung into head office and when i did, the guvnor asked me what i thought. I just said it wasnt for me but he went further and said it had no f***ing chance. So the following week Eddie comes in and has another 1 e.w. on it. And the week after, and the week after that and so on. By the fifth week it had dropped to 50's but he still backed it. By the time raceday arrived he had staked 8 e.w on it so had another 2 e.w on to top it up.
    And the rest is history as they say. Bear in mind that it is just over 30 years ago so it was a very canny win for him.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jombo View Post
    Aah very fond memories of that day. Good old Richard guest!
    Good. You will enjoy the story about it then

Are you Eddie in disguise ??

Degenerate Member
    There doesn’t seem to be much about this year though.must have a fair enough chance in a very average year!.
    The festival is doing absolutely nothing for me this year and at this moment in time its just a meeting down south that will be on for four days in March. Perish the thought that they try and make it five days ! Its already diluted enough with a few bits of filler trying to be championship races and if i had my way i would take it back to three days. And lets face it, any race they put on if they went for a fifth day would not enhance the meeting in any way, shape or form. Far from it. A fifth day would be for commercial reasons only, an extension to the party, but bring absolutely nothing to the table as far as races we want to see.
    F*** me, they'll be putting a seller on soon the way its going !!!

Degenerate Member
    I havent got involved today so a good drink was had last night. I only did two races at Ayr, the 2.25 and 3.00 races, but for once there wasnt a great deal of difference with my prices and the guessers so i didnt bother. I could have done two more races, the last two at Ayr, but didnt like the look of them with Stuart Crawford, Caroline McCaldin, Ronan McNally and Gordon Elliott having runners in them. The races were set up for gambles and so it has proved. It would have been anybodys guess which one (or two) would be backed and i dont do guessing.
    The Ronan McNally horse in the last hasnt been sighted in any race EVER ! Yet the horse has been backed in from an opening price of 25/1 and is now a general 10/1 chance. I just refuse to believe that if it wins they will say the first time cheekpieces did the trick.

Degenerate Member
    Some snippets for the veterans chase at Plumpton tomorrow. This race has been carried over from last week and most of the original entries have decided to have another try although the Irish horse, Wishmoor, is not among them.

Morney Wing is trained by the one and only Charlie Mann. The bloke couldnt train ivy up a wall but the BHA somehow give him a licence. I suppose he must hit a winner before this decade is out and this horse actually has conditions in his favour. He stays well and loves the ground and won the Sussex National here back in 2017. His only other run here was a second behind Another Venture last March. He is still 4lb higher than his last win. A part of me wonders though if this isnt a prep for next months Eider at Newcastle in which he finished third last year.

Antony has shown very little this season and hasnt won a race since April 2018. He now races off a mark 6lb lower than his last win but i do have concerns about him staying the trip in this ground. There was money around for him last week before the meeting was abandoned but that means nothing to me. He seems to have a bit of a love affair with Fontwell and he also seems better going right handed and on good ground.

Shanahans Turn hasnt won a race since July 2015 and that, believe it or not, was the Galway Plate. I've always had him down as far better over a shorter trip and its noticeable that he hasnt raced over this far since March 2016 when he ran in the "Ultima" at the Festival. His last outing was over 2m so this is a massive step up on that. He wont mind the ground but the trip has to be a concern.

Last years winner, Uhlan Bute, turns up again off a 4lb lower mark than when successful. He hasnt won since and has to go down as being disappointing although he has never been the most reliable of animals and does like his own way. He has shown glimmers in his last couple of runs and of course he is now slowly coming back down the handicap. He raced at the Festival last year off a mark off 133 but is now down to an appealing 115. Conditions are ideal and course form figures for this fella read 131.

Dear old Loose Chips is next and he showed some of his old spark at Warwick last time out. He has nothing to fear from Uhlan Bute on that run but consistency when going left handed has never been a strong point. He has won ten races but all have been when going right handed and you can see by his form figures when going the other way round that he chucks in far more bad runs than he does good ones. For the record, and please bear with me on this one, his form figures when going left handed read 4027030383UUP25P53. They wont exactly fill you with confidence but on a going day he would see this lot off. He hasnt won since November 2018 but is now a hefty 15lb lower.

Dylansoeghan was second behind Uhlan Bute last year and is actually 7lb worse off now for a 15L beating. That obviously gives him a mountain to climb. He has been well beaten in two of his three starts this season and the only positives are that he does like the track and conditions.

Tzar De L'Elfe was the favourite for this last week and i was trying to lay him at the short price. He was put in far too short and there was only one way that his price could go. He had won a Mickey Mouse race here by a nose and nothing that finished behind that day has done anything for the form. He does having a liking for this track however and the going will suit. He has only been put up 3lb for his win so does have the advantage of a nice racing weight. But whether he is good enough to win this is another thing. I would very much doubt it.

And there you have it.
    All comments, views, selections welcome

10. 1 Thanks from:
    petemarik

Degenerate Member
    I'm certain that there are some funny goings on with Hills prices for tomorrow. Either that or i am going round the twist. Some prices appeared for Plumpton tomorrow and a horse i was looking at was put in far too big. But quite quickly the prices disappeared and different prices appeared half an hour ago with the one i was looking at put in a fair bit shorter.

Degenerate Member
    I'm certain that there are some funny goings on with Hills prices for tomorrow. Either that or i am going round the twist. Some prices appeared for Plumpton tomorrow and a horse i was looking at was put in far too big. But quite quickly the prices disappeared and different prices appeared half an hour ago with the one i was looking at put in a fair bit shorter.
    So what are you saying exactly?

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    So what are you saying exactly?
    In the Plumpton 2.10 race tomorrow, i had sorted the race and prices, but had a feeling that the guessers would put a certain one in too big. They see form figures of P58 and just ignore it. If they actually did the job properly and delved into each and every horses form they would be amazed at what they would find out.
    Jolly Les Buxy won well enough with conditions to suit at Lingfield two weeks ago and is rightly near the front of the market tomorrow. But go back to its previous run at Warwick and you will find that the horse finished sixth to Urtheonethatiwant and was two places and 3L in front of Tambura in receipt of 8lb. Tomorrow there is a 9lb swing with Tambura getting 1lb from her rival. Now to this you have also got to take into consideration that Tambura was having her first run since March whereas Jolly Les Buxy was race fit. But more importantly, Tambura has won four times around this track and loves the heavy ground. She can be a moody mare now and again but she knows how to win and this is the place she does it. So, to any form person and compiler who is worth his salt, there isnt going to be a massive amount between them when the prices are put together. Fair enough "Jolly" has won since that run and there is always the chance that Tambura may not go as well again second time up, but at the weights, and with the form facts we have at hand, you wouldnt go too big about Tambura. So i was sat watching and waiting and was on the Attheraces site when 20/1 appeared for the horse. But within ten minutes or so, the prices had been removed. I went on Oddschecker and half the field were priced up and the rest were not. But Tambura was now in at 14's with Hills. Anyway, some firms went 16's and the clueless others just copied and pasted and i've managed to get a wedge on. I had put it in at 7's so to see the 20's was mouth watering.
    The 20's with Hills was definitely there but somehow disappeared into thin air.

And now every firm has cut it and its 8's as i type.

14. 1 Thanks from:
    petemarik

Degenerate Member
    Sir Micky has Roxyfet entered in a hurdle and a chase at Sedgefield next Sunday. And for some reason, i seem to think that he may well go for the hurdle. The horse hasnt had a hurdle outing since March 2018 but is rated 8lb lower over the smaller obstacles and races off a very attractive mark of 86. The horse has won one of his eight hurdle starts and been in the first three on four other occasions.
    What did make me smile was a look at some of his very early hurdle form when he raced in France. He finished second at Auteuil one day and 4L back in fourth was none other than Fox Norton ! Yes, the very same Fox Norton who finished third to Douvan in the "Arkle" and also just touched off by poor Special Tiara in the Champion Chase.
    There's seven half decent looking races there and it looks a shade of odds on that the good lady and i will be in attendance.

Degenerate Member
    There is a horse tomorrow which, in my opinion, has been put in at too big a price. Again, when you compare formlines, you have to wonder how some of these prices have been arrived at.
    The horse in question is Big Time Frank and he runs in a very moderate chase, the Exeter 3.30. The horse will never be a world beater and i would imagine that connections would love to get just one win out of him, but i reckon he has a far better chance than the 33/1 odds currently available would suggest.
    He was second in this race last year off a mark of 89 but races tomorrow off a 4lb lower mark of 85.Last years renewal looked a better affair than tomorrows when eleven of the field were rated at 90 and above. Tomorrow there are just six horses in that range. He was beaten threequarters of a length by the Richard Newland trained Urbanist who was rated 99 that day but is now up to 120. He does go well round this track and has finished second on three occasions and third once.Its the comparison in form that shows up the discrepancies in prices again. He was beaten a length by Kiwi Myth last March over this C/D and was trying to give that horse 23lb. Tomorrow he is conceding only 4lb and yet Kiwi Myth is generally a 5/1 chance.
    He has been slightly disappointing this season but that has resulted in him dropping 12lb in the handicap having started the season on a mark of 97.
    This is probably the time to catch him and in a very poor affair, the fact that we have a horse here who stays well enough, goes well at the track, has the ground that he acts on and has never fallen, there are enough positives there to give him a fighting chance.

Of the rest, In Arrears and Mount Oliver would not be surprise winners.

Degenerate Member
    QC it must be long odds exter will be cancelled now that big time has shortened up considerably!

Degenerate Member
    QC it must be long odds exter will be cancelled now that big time has shortened up considerably!

Degenerate Member
    Wishmoor has been declared for the veterans chase at Catterick tomorrow with Ricky Doyle on top. But theres only five runners so its not a race i'll be doing.

Degenerate Member
    There is a horse tomorrow which, in my opinion, has been put in at too big a price. Again, when you compare formlines, you have to wonder how some of these prices have been arrived at.
    The horse in question is Big Time Frank and he runs in a very moderate chase, the Exeter 3.30. The horse will never be a world beater and i would imagine that connections would love to get just one win out of him, but i reckon he has a far better chance than the 33/1 odds currently available would suggest.
    He was second in this race last year off a mark of 89 but races tomorrow off a 4lb lower mark of 85.Last years renewal looked a better affair than tomorrows when eleven of the field were rated at 90 and above. Tomorrow there are just six horses in that range. He was beaten threequarters of a length by the Richard Newland trained Urbanist who was rated 99 that day but is now up to 120. He does go well round this track and has finished second on three occasions and third once.Its the comparison in form that shows up the discrepancies in prices again. He was beaten a length by Kiwi Myth last March over this C/D and was trying to give that horse 23lb. Tomorrow he is conceding only 4lb and yet Kiwi Myth is generally a 5/1 chance.
    He has been slightly disappointing this season but that has resulted in him dropping 12lb in the handicap having started the season on a mark of 97.
    This is probably the time to catch him and in a very poor affair, the fact that we have a horse here who stays well enough, goes well at the track, has the ground that he acts on and has never fallen, there are enough positives there to give him a fighting chance.

Of the rest, In Arrears and Mount Oliver would not be surprise winners.

8/1 SP in the end, not a bad day at the office.

Let us all know when the real win is due.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    8/1 SP in the end, not a bad day at the office.

Let us all know when the real win is due.
    If only........

It will probably win a race one day, it may well be next time out, after all it will drop a few pounds. I do apologise to the ones who backed it and therefore lose but today was all about taking advantage of their massive mistake. I actually had two going today with another one that i had put in at 6's opening at 10's. It went off at 9/2 but was beaten at halfway and eventually pulled up. I'm glad i didnt mention that one as well. (Volcano 3.00)
    For the record, i got the grand total of 3 at the 33's for Big Time Frank but thankfully got a fair bit on at 28's and 25's. I would hazard a guess that someone on here got more than i did at the 33/1.

The day got even better later on when i finally worked out how to stop the racecourses that i follow on Twitter from retweeting inane postings from irritating, moronic tweeters and bloggers. Some of you on here must have noticed tweets from certain muppets who post any sort of shite just to get it retweeted and hope that they get noticed. I know for a fact that one of them is after a job on a racing channel or ITV racing, he has said so much. They post things like "I'm going to beautiful Salisbury races tomorrow" and then Salisbury retweet it out. There was one today that said "I hope Dicky Johnson is ok, come on champ" and it got retweeted out twice on my feed by two racecourses. But its just moronic f***ing bollocks and i've been trying to get shot of them for a while now. There is one muppet who has informed me in the last couple of weeks that Aiden O'Brien is a great trainer, he has great training facilities, Joseph O'Brien is also a great trainer and also has great facilities and that Galileo is the best stallion.
    Well i f***ing never !!!
    And he wants a job on racing TV because he enlightens us with these pearls of wisdom ! I mute my tv all day and now i've muted and blocked these muppets.
    Peace at last

Degenerate Member
    Yea hands up I got more than you on at 33’s .. luckily though I did lay off stake.

Yea that blogger chap is a clown no doubt we will see him on ITV soon! He should work well with those muppets!

Thread Information