Page 214 of 214 FirstFirst ... 204212213214
Results 4,261 to 4,274 of 4274

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    And now they are 11/2.

I had had a look at Morten’s earlier on - the trainer put me off getting involved

Registered Member
    quotes from Mick

Square Viviani has taken some time to acclimatise to our way of training. He loves the heavy going and this track was where he has put together his best runs, including his win last time. If his jumping stands up he will be in the money once more.

Strike West ran a very pleasing race last time at this track. He has come on well at home since then and at a nice price is worth an each-way bet.
    Last edited by the dope; 11-12-2019 at 13:20.
    horse racing is a tax on the stupid.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the dope View Post
    quotes from Mick

Square Viviani has taken some time to acclimatise to our way of training. He loves the heavy going and this track was where he has put together his best runs, including his win last time. If his jumping stands up he will be in the money once more.
    And thats the problem. He cannot go thru a race without hitting a few and i'll be counting his mistakes on the way round. He is not for me today. In fact, i was playing around with his price last night because i couldnt believe some of the prices that some guessers went. I was hovering between 9/2 and 5/1 and eventually went 5's. Three firms actually opened up 2/1 !!!! And the rest were round about the 5/2 mark. Hills for once werent far away when they went 9/2 on their early show. The horse is now 11/2 with half of the firms and 6's with the other half.
    I tried to narrow it down to one or two but couldnt get below four and Square Viviani wasnt one of them. I see there has been a big move for Asking For Answers but he is another with definite jumping problems and he wasnt in my four either.

Degenerate Member
    I've just watched the first and it looks lovely there today. Wish i was there.

Degenerate Member
    I knew i had forgotten to mention something and its just come to me now as i sift thru next weeks entries. Our old friend, The Jam Man, finally won a race in Ireland and at the very attractive price of 33/1. Thats Mr McNally's Christmas money sorted but he must be after a bit more and it might be coming courtesy of Impressive Duke. The horse is in at Carlisle on Sunday but he is then entered in five races next Tuesday, three at Catterick and two at Fakenham.

Keep a careful eye out.

Registered Member
    Trainer Ronan McNally is launching an ambitious bid to take on Paisley Park with his enormous improver The Jam Man in the Grade 1 Marsh Hurdle at Ascot later this month, with his stable star set to be supplemented at a cost of 5,000.
    The Armagh trainer, who also runs a kitchen-fitting business, enjoyed one of the biggest days of his career when his progressive six-year-old landed a €80,000 handicap hurdle at Navan on Saturday.
    The Jam Man is often ridden out at home by McNally's nine-year-old son Kian, more commonly known as 'Tubbs', who has played his part in the hurdler's extraordinary season.
    "Tubbs rides him out at home," said the trainer. "He was involved in getting him ready for Navan and that's part of it all."

McNally added: "The Jam Man came out of Saturday in great shape and is going to improve plenty for the run. He only lost 3kg, which is phenomenal because you'd expect him to probably lose 12kg or 15kg. He's bouncing at home since."
    McNally is now hoping his charge can develop into a Sun Racing Stayers' Hurdle candidate, despite having plenty to find on ratings. He was raised 10lb to a mark of 138 following Saturday's success.
    The Jam Man's latest victory made it four wins on the bounce, having justified strong market support to rattle off a hat-trick in Britain during the summer, leaving behind some underwhelming form.
    McNally said: "We're going to step up in grade. If he's sound and in good form at the supplementary stage on Monday [December 16], we'll supplement him for the Long Walk Hurdle that Paisley Park won last year.

"People will think I'm mad supplementing him, but why not try it? Paisley Park started in handicaps last year off 140 and had to improve. It's possible to do that in a few runs and our horse is battle-hardened. He hurdles really well and goes on any ground.
    "We'll follow Paisley Park and if we're good enough then great, but there's no problem if we're not and we can go back to handicaps. He's my own horse so there's no pressure and we're going to find out where we are very quickly."
    The nine-time winner, who last year recorded victories off marks as low as 80, 87 and 94, will aim to topple the reigning Stayers' Hurdle champion, rated 169, after a smart success at odds of 33-1 over Tout Est Permis.

McNally reflected: "He exceeded our expectations last weekend, to be honest. I knew he was capable of doing that but on his first start after a break on a career-high mark, we were testing the water.
    "We thought Saturday could act as a prep run for a Pertemps qualifier but now he's rated 138 in Ireland – 144 in England – and would have close to top weight in a Pertemps Final."
    He added of his charge's huge progression: "He's just improving all the time. He was beaten off low marks in the past but my horses just weren't right last year.
    "Aidan Coleman thought he was a good horse when he was riding him in England but wasn't sure what he was beating in terms of quality. He only cost €10,000 and was very disappointing starting off but he had issues with ulcers early on."
    Earlier this year McNally saddled 16-year-old See Double You to become the oldest winner in Ireland for 32 years.

Registered Member
    Great story - Good Luck to him.

Degenerate Member
    Tomorrow looks like the day when Singlefarmpayment finally gets his head back in front again. Its been three years, back to this corresponding meeting in 2016, since he last got his head in front. But he has been unlucky on a couple of occasions and has also run some cracking races in defeat. He's been second four times at Cheltenham since that win including two by a short head and one by a head. The head defeat was by Cogry in this very race last year and he is now 6lb better off with that horse. And when you take into account that Cogry is 10lb better off with West Approach for 2L when they were second and third behind The Conditional here at the end of October, it shows just what a good chance Singlefarmpayment has. Of course that form is working out really well with The Conditional going on to finish second to De Rasher Counter in the Hennessy.
    It wouldnt be a big surprise to see last years first and second do the same again this year although in the reverse order this time. One who could bustle the pair of them up is Onefortheroadtom but he does need to tidy up his jumping.
    Conditions are ideal and the horse has now dropped to his lowest mark since that C/D win in 2016. Tom George has been hitting the bar a bit lately with a load of seconds and thirds but i fancy this one to get him an overdue win.
    I wouldnt be at all surprised to see money for this horse and can see it going off around the 4/1 or 9/2 mark. There is still some 13/2 around although generally a 6/1 chance. And it wouldnt surprise me at all to see my old mate Tom Seagulls put it up. Although that might be a negative then

Thoughts anyone ?? Fancies ??
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 12-12-2019 at 16:46.

Degenerate Member
    Onefortheroadtom would be my selection in it.

Degenerate Member
    Surely nobody who saw Glockenspiel's last run could fail to be impressed, even if they're not impressed by the price of 15/8 tomorrow - 245 Bangor.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    Surely nobody who saw Glockenspiel's last run could fail to be impressed, even if they're not impressed by the price of 15/8 tomorrow - 245 Bangor.
    Good luck mate, i hope it wins for you. It will definitely improve for the run.
    One word of caution though. Every horse that ran in that race that have run since have all been well beaten, many of them tailed.

12. 1 Thanks from:
    ONEDUNME

Registered Member
    "Schiehallion Munro made a very pleasing chasing debut at Catterick. He is thriving at home and we are very happy with the way we go into the race. The favourite will be hard to beat but we will give it a good go!"
    M.Hammond

Registered Member
    I thought he gave Singlefarm a very good ride - not interested in going through with it - Maybe it needs to be a Paul Carberry produced just on the line ride - Harchibald was a beaut.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    I thought he gave Singlefarm a very good ride - not interested in going through with it - Maybe it needs to be a Paul Carberry produced just on the line ride - Harchibald was a beaut.
    The horse does need putting in front right on the line, you are right there. He did lose his place down the far side and was shuffled back to disputing last at that crucial stage which didnt help. He went out to about 100 on Betfair but then was as low as 2/5 going to the last which, sadly, he didnt meet on a good stride.
    But, no excuses, its just another loser to put on the pile

It looks very tricky again tomorrow so Doctor QC prescribes an early winner and then put your feet up for the rest of the day and enjoy all the action. And that winner could come by courtesy of Misty Mai in the Hereford 12.00. The horse goes well round here, loves the soft/heavy ground and is now 16lb lower than her last win which was over this C/D in March 2018. She has run two fair races this season starting off with a good second in a 3m chase and then a good third in a handicap hurdle over a trip short of her best. This is a conditional jockeys race and its a bonus to have the best around in Ben Jones on top and she may pay the xmas expenses tomorrow.

Thread Information