Thread: The Price Matters

The Price Matters

Written by: Flyingbolt

Let’s say you fancy a horse to win a certain race. It’s 5/1 in your local bookmakers but it’s 11/2 in the rival bookies further down the road. Will you make the extra walk? Or if you’re an online punter, the horse could be 5/1 on your usual betting site but a quick glance at [read more]

2. 2 Thanks from:
    Kickon, teengirlhot

Nice piece FB!

For a largely offline Punter this is quite tricky in most parts of the country, but definitely food for thought.

Carpe Diem!

4. 1 Thanks from:
    Flyingbolt

Degenerate Member
    "I know there are many occasions when bookmakers have almost identical odds on a market and you won’t be able to find a bet at two or three ticks higher but there will nearly always be some variation to take advantage of. It’s worth the effort to seek out the very best odds you can. Never settle for less. The bookmakers and exchanges are desperate for your custom, so always shop around and only take the best value".

That is the main stumbling block FB as you well know. More so these days with a lot of firms using tracking bots to monitor and change prices and therefore keeping in line. I'm watching Oddschecker closely around teatime every day waiting for the early prices to be published and at times it is downright embarrassing watching the "usual suspects" copying and pasting their rivals prices. Fair enough there are very few "tissue" men around these days but I do know of at least a couple of firms who just refuse to pay the money. They obviously haven't got the staff capable of forming a market so they just copy their neighbours prices, hence the reason they all look more or less the same. Whatever happened to opinions ? So yes, shop around but can I add just one thing. Check out your local independent ! (That is if you have one). More often than not you can haggle a price, especially with a one man band, and that is your extra tick or two in the bag.

6. 1 Thanks from:
    Flyingbolt

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    More so these days with a lot of firms using tracking bots to monitor and change prices and therefore keeping in line. I'm watching Oddschecker closely around teatime every day waiting for the early prices to be published and at times it is downright embarrassing watching the "usual suspects" copying and pasting their rivals prices.

If you have enough accounts, you will always be able to find a bookie offering better than the going rate at the time and I've always said that taking advantage of that could be the difference between a profit and a loss at the end of the season for me. Granted, most punters make a loss - many of them don't really care about that because they just enjoy the punt but I'm one of those who enjoys the game but also takes it seriously enough to count every profit and loss throughout the season and I've made a profit every year for the last 6 or 7. I'm not saying it's a big profit - I don't profess to be staking huge sums of money but I do have a lot of bets per week and I agree absolutely that taking the best price is absolutely vital for me.

Now whether the better odds that you're getting varies massively dependent on which end of the market you are betting at. I know the comment above is about prices the night before but what I'm saying goes for any time. For example, the race off in ten mins at Haydock has a fav that will probably end up finishing at 7/4 and two well known bookies are currently offering 2/1. Not even half a point but important taken over a number of winning bets.

If you move higher up the prices you can get 11/2 on what is generally a 5/1 shot. 8/1 on what is generally a 7/1 shot and if you go out further, you can get 14s on a general 12/1 shot.

As I type, the fav has drifted out to generally 2/1 which may appear to make a mockery of my earlier point, except that one bookie is now offering 9/4 so it kind of reinforces the point instead.

It's now getting up to a minute before the off and all prices start to mirror each other exactly. To me, trying to get the best price is part of the enjoyment of the game.

Degenerate Member
    .....regardless of the fact that it only matters if they win

Degenerate Member
    I also have to say that this site, although not the busiest on the web, has to be given no small credit for the fact that do I manage to turn a profit year on year.

Some quality tips and info' and for that, I'm very grateful.

10. 1 Thanks from:
    Flyingbolt

Degenerate Member
    "If you have enough accounts" - Its really a case of if you have enough accounts AND if you can get what you want on. That ship sailed a long time ago and nowadays I have one account and get on what I want but its with a bookmaker you will not see on Oddschecker. My advice is shop around and then dig deeper and shop around some more.

All the best

QC

Degenerate Member
    That ship sailed a long time ago .... for you maybe. I've been banned / restricted by three or four bookies (some of which I was actually losing with - work that fucker out !) but I can get what I want on when I want every day.sometimes I have to split my stake between bookies but I try to get most of it on the one with the best odds and it works out just fine.

I'll tell u something else , best odds guaranteed is the best thing that's ever happened in the gambling world. getting the best price available at 5/2 is one thing but when it romps in at 4/1 there's nothing like it.

Degenerate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEDUNME View Post
    That ship sailed a long time ago .... for you maybe. I've been banned / restricted by three or four bookies (some of which I was actually losing with - work that fucker out !) but I can get what I want on when I want every day.sometimes I have to split my stake between bookies but I try to get most of it on the one with the best odds and it works out just fine.

I'll tell u something else , best odds guaranteed is the best thing that's ever happened in the gambling world. getting the best price available at 5/2 is one thing but when it romps in at 4/1 there's nothing like it.

Fair play to you if you can still get on what you want - do you have many winning bets where best odds apply?

Degenerate Member
    Good question and I'd have to say, probably not but you would be amazed how many times a horse will double in price and then win. it's got to the point where I don't even worry if a horse drifts in the market - I used to do that

Degenerate Member
    That ship sailed a long time ago .... for you maybe. I've been banned / restricted by three or four bookies (some of which I was actually losing with - work that fucker out !).

That is probably because the horses you backed collapsed in price. But any bookmaker that closes a losing account wants their head testing or perhaps think about another profession. No doubt someone will come on here and tell me why they would close a losing account but I will just refer them to my earlier answer.
    Closed accounts are just a way of life these days but a lot of that is down to the tipping line followers, arbers etc. If you listen to some people they will tell you arbers aren't to blame or don't even exist, but if you sit the other side of the fence and watch it all going down, you know that is complete and utter rubbish.
    Agreed, best odds guaranteed is one of the best things to happen, double result is another. I actually don't get it, its all down to the arrangement I have with my bookie. A bit complicated for this time of the morning.
    Have a good day all.

QC

Degenerate Member
    One other thing, I defy any bookmaker to come on and say they would like to keep Best Odds Guaranteed !!!!!!! The plain and simple truth is that one firm started doing it and started taking other firms business, the others had to follow suit and now they all wish they didn't do it. Every time one drifts and wins, their profit margin takes a hit. And multiply that by how many times a day it happens, then how many times a week, a month etc, and over the course of a year it has cost them a fortune. Some firms would stop it today if they could but they know that while other firms are doing it, they have to as well. And there will always be at least one firm, (the obvious one), who will keep it.

17. 1 Thanks from:
    Flyingbolt

Online you can see all the prices, in the high street by the time you check the odds and return there could well be a change.

In theory though, yes you should as these are the fractions that make the difference

19. 2 Thanks from:
    Flyingbolt, teengirlhot

Thread Information