Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2016

Cheltenham 2016

Too early?

Are there any tips or lessons you want to put in writing now for you to read over in advance of next year's festival?

Any predictions for winners in 2016?

Cloneygree, Djakadam, Don Poli

the 1 2 3 for next years gold cup

Faugheen Artic Fire
    1 2 for Champion Hurdle next year

Any horse coming back from a big problem, don't back it. Not worth it. Maybe one or two come back 100 % but most don't.

Only back young fresh horses that aren't broken down bangers.

Degenerate Member
    Knew we had a thread already on this.

Degenerate Member
    Here are a few general thoughts about the Festival.Odds on shots 12 from 19 over the last 10 years which i suppose would be average.Some years all have won others only 1 from 4.
    By the way these are my own notes so may contain mistakes and faults.
    Me thinking that about 7 to 9 favourites will win over the 4 days.Usually the 4 championship races are the best along with novice hurdle races and the Arkle of late.Maybe the best h'cap to throw up the winning fav is the kim Miur or at least top 3 in betting.Might also be the case this year with Cause Of Causes and Doctor Harper.
    My list of best favourites read
    Douvan
    Un De Sceaux
    Thistlecrack
    Yanworth
    Vroum Vroum Mag/Limini
    Gold Cup fav
    Barters Hill
    Josies Orders/On The Fringe
    Min/Annie Power.
    As for W.P.Mullins 2012 3 winners 6 placed 2013 5/5,2014 4/11 2015 8/12 for 2016 will have a guess at 6/12.
    Been doing lots of each-way trebles and 4 folds also 5 folds.Mostly in the novice races and the championship races as they seem also best for second and third favourites. Here is most of them but not all.
    ALTIOR,VANITEUX,SIZING JOHN,NICHOLAS CANYON,THE NEW ONE,NOBLE ENDEAVOR,LOCAL SHOW,YORKHILL(Neptune) A TOI PHIL,SPRINTER SACRE,SIRE DE GRUGY,SPECIAL TIARA,OUTLANDER GARDE LA VICTOIRE(JLT)COLE HARDEN,ZUBAYR SHANTOU VILLAGE,DON COSSACK/POLI VAUTOUR .
    That's the easy races now for the more difficult ones.Not looked at the Handicaps yet as they are difficult enough when knowing the runners let alone not having a clue of who goes where.By far the most difficult or the best ones depending on how you look at it are the handicap hurdle races.Here is a list of the more challenging races based on the ones who have the most outsiders(over20/1) being placed or even winning.
    Coral Cup
    Fred Winter
    Pertemps Final
    Brown Advisory(4.10 day three)
    County
    Foxhunter
    From the above races 50 places from a possible 138 at odds of over 20/1
    Other races that fare quite well are
    Bumper
    Ultima
    Close brothers
    Albert Bartlett
    Martin Pipe
    Mares Hurdle
    34 from a possible 126 over 20/1
    If you are looking for above 20/1 winners they come on average 3.5 a festival.
    Just some food for thought before the tapes go up.

Yorkhill
    I really think that he should be in the Supreme but the vibes on the Exchange in the last two days indicate he's Neptune-bound. Maybe they think he's their best chance at beating Yanworth. I've backed him for both anyway, e/w in the latter.

The Arkle
    Douvan is a machine but my only bet so far in the race is Sizing John e/w at a good price. For anyone considering an e/w in this, it's possible that there will be less than 8 declared in the morning so maybe better to do it now, all else being equal.

Jonjo
    Getting Holywell down to a mark of 153 is a Jonjo special. 4th in the Gold Cup and 3rd in the Betfair Bowl a year ago. Then 3 shitty runs this season and he gets to be on the same weight in the Ultima Handicap Chase as the mighty Shanahan's Turn and Blood Cotil. Hah! The question is whether he'll be fully fit here or if the Grand National is the main aim.

Another Jonjo special is John's Spirit, which I've backed at 7/1 for the Brown Advisory Plate on Thursday. He's a bit short of G1 class, as we saw last season, but he's capable of winning races like this off a mark of 145.

Champion Hurdle
    If it weren't for Annie Power, this would be the most awful looking Champion Hurdle in quite some time. The New One 3rd fav? FFS. I don't know if AP will win (she probably will) but at least she adds some sparkle to it. I have Nichols Canyon e/w in this and might add Annie if she drifts a bit more.

Mares Hurdle
    Ruby thinks Vroom Vroom Mag is a good thing and so do many others. I'm not totally convinced and will probably leave this race alone.

RSA Chase
    This is more than a two-horse race but of the front two I prefer More Of That to No More Heroes.

Coral Cup
    He's probably too low in the weights to get into the race but Princely Conn is a handicap snip waiting to happen. I'm on at 40/1 NRNB in case he gets a run.

Champion Chase
    Un De Sceaux wins hopefully but Special Tiara is a great e/w bet. I've done him at 12/1 and also 6/1 w/o the fav.

Ryanair Chase
    If you can figure out what horses are actually going to run in this race then you could be on to a good bet.

World Hurdle
    Thistlecrack is my NAP of the week!

Triumph
    No idea really. Ruby will be on Let's Dance, so she could shorten from her current 12/1.

County Hurdle
    Dicosimo at 25/1. If he doesn't run like a nutter he has a big chance. Starchitect at 14s is my backup.

Gold Cup
    Vautour wins this. His price is a gift. Bookies are dumb. Don Poli no chance but Don Cossack is a danger.

Foxhunters
    I'm not quite as confident as last year but I hope to see On The Fringe take this again.

Grand Annual
    Finish off the festival by putting all your winnings on Dresden at 25/1. Ka-ching!

(Then put all of those winnings on The Druid's Nephew for the Grand National (16/1) and Antoine Griezmann for top scorer at Euro 2016 (14/1) and then retire to the Bahamas. Easy.)

My get-rich antepost multiple from a few weeks ago is still looking okay:
    Nichols Canyon
    Un De Sceaux
    Thistlecrack
    Vautour

All at decent prices. Around 400/1 the fourfold.

Good luck all!

Fb I think yes should merge the other thread into this one

I don't know how much truth there is in this and if it's off here I read it but horses running in first time head gear do Rather well

Banker of the meeting for me is in the Neptune on Wednesday

Yorkhill @ 3-1 ( Skybet)

I know top connections think this unbeaten horse could be even better on good ground which I think it will be come raceday.

Registered Member
    My Yankee is looking sweet now with Yorkhill confirmed for Nep

I have
    Min 6/1
    Douvan 7/2
    Yorkhill 10/1
    More of That 6/1

GBP1 Yankee / GBP4 Acca. Not sure why they waited so long with Yorkhill...

I've been sniping a fair bit Ante post on a few select over the last while
    I've a decent wedge on Sprinter Sacre EW, supersundea EW , Smashing and Soutfield Royale
    if any one of two of those come in, it'll be fillet steak in the Parrot Household

12. 1 Thanks from:
    frogger13

only anti post bet i done was small treble of douvan vroom vroom mag and limini if they win then i might having extra drink on st paddys day

Registered Member
    Alitor,
    Douvan
    Nichols Canyon
    Vroum Vroum

Nichols Canyons form bar last race is more than enough to win.... Without Fugheen and Artic Fire I will take 6/1 chance he does it
    Last edited by Hey Jude; 14-03-2016 at 22:26.

Registered Member Yellowbellyjoe's Avatar
    I have 2 Ante post bets going for me and I'm happy enough with them

Tombstone @33/s Supreme
    Yorkhill @ 16's Neptune

I'm having a small e/w bet on Gitan Du Berlais in the Mares today
    Some time's you'r flush, some time's you'r bust. When you'r up it's never as good as it seem's, and when your down you think you'll never get back up again. But life goes on son
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 Cheltenham Festival tipping competition winner

2014 Cheltenham Festival championship races competition winner

2013 Cheltenham Festival tipping competition winner

Vautour going for the Ryanair and not the Gold Cup. Bunch of twats. If he's not showing good enough form at home to go for the GC then he's not going to win the Ryanair either.

Some more bets I've picked for today:

I've come around to Bellshill in the Supreme. Good e/w shout at 14/1.

In the third race, Katenko and Shanahan's Turn, both at 50/1. Katenko was quite good a couple of years ago and even ran in the Gold Cup. Made a comeback from injury in December and was travelling well when clouting a fence. Hopefully a Venetia special is in store. I don't know why Shanahan's Turn in so big. He ran away with the Galway Plate last summer and wasn't put to shame in a couple of graded races afterwards.

Ballychorus​ in the NH Chase at 12/1.

Ach I'm alright actually just didn't know if I'd missed the edit option. Tha anyway. Buzz's Avatar
    Happy Cheltenham folks!

Good to see so many of the old guard still posting away. Good luck with your bets this week.

18. 1 Thanks from:
    DeadParrot

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingbolt View Post
    Vautour going for the Ryanair and not the Gold Cup. Bunch of twats. If he's not showing good enough form at home to go for the GC then he's not going to win the Ryanair either.
    Agreed, FB ... lot of ante post GC tickets being torn up in frustration I imagine. Then the bookies that Ricci is chairman of pays out on him for the GC as if that compensates.

My main bets today are MTOY to win a sub-standard CH and Vroum Vroum Mag to win the egg and spoon race. Looking forward to seeing Douvan take the next step on the road to superstardom.

God luck everyone.

biggest lot of wankbags looks like Ruby got hi way in the end he didn't want both horses in gold cup

such a fucking shame

My bets today

1.30-Altior @ 4-1 (Boylesports)..win
    North Hill Harvey @ 25-1 (Paddy Power)...each way (4 places)

2.50-Band Of Blood @ 25-1 (Bet 365)...each way (5 places)

3.30-The New One @ 6-1 (William Hill)...win

4.10-Vroum Vroum Mag @ Evens (Skybet)..win

5.30-Double Shuffle @ 10-1 (Bet 365)...each way
    Last edited by Assassin; 15-03-2016 at 13:19.

Degenerate Member
    Cracking win by annie power some gutsy mare.

Thread Information